Voss, hird and Buckley again: coaching edition

Remove this Banner Ad

You are going to need to get used to this sort of revisionist history.

This is going to be a decades long propaganda campaign
No. It's all done now. Most people have formed a view of what went on and don't give it a second thought anymore. It's all a bit boring really. For those that can still be bothered the views vary across a wide spectrum with most falling in a space that fails to satisfy the hardcore nutjobs (from either side) that reside in here. It is this that you will have to get used to.

No. It's all done now. Most people have formed a view of what went on and don't give it a second thought anymore. It's all a bit boring really. For those that can still be bothered the views vary across a wide spectrum with most falling in a space that fails to satisfy the hardcore nutjobs (from either side) that reside in here. It is this that you will have to get used to.

Why does anyone need to "form a view"?

It is done. Convictions are recorded.

Voss suffered the old "why are they not like me" syndrome. I think he deserves another chance as he has had time under an astute coach like Hinkley to learn the coaching ropes. North, Suns or Pies should look at him.

Hird was a great coach in the making clouded by an obsessive desire for instant success. The over long Sheedy tenure still loomed large at Windy Hill, it killed any chance Matthew Knights had of building a team and by the time Hird arrived every one thought here comes 1993 all over again. Hird will never coach again.
upload_2017-7-12_13-42-8.jpeg

Buckley was thrown to the wolves by Eddie in one of the most insane moves in football history. The Pies had it all in 2010 and 2011, why the change occurred at that time only the mind of Eddie McGuire can answer that mystery. I actually think Buckley is a good coach let down by a recruiting team of numb-nuts! Buckley could coach elsewhere, but i suspect the black & White blood running through his veins will nullify any chance he has of doing anything other than annoying Hutchy and Caro on Footy Classified!

Of the current crop Hodge to coach ? you would think so.
Dangerfield: He should have a crack at it when his time is up.
Martin: Nope.
Pendlebury: Looks to have a coaching job waiting upon retirement if he wants it?

The best players are not necessarily the best coaches!

Last edited:

Voss suffered the old "why are they not like me" syndrome. I think he deserves another chance as he has had time under an astute coach like Hinkley to learn the coaching ropes. North, Suns or Pies should look at him.

Hird was a great coach in the making clouded by an obsessive desire for instant success. The over long Sheedy tenure still loomed large at Windy Hill, it killed any chance Matthew Knights had of building a team and by the time Hird arrived every one thought here comes 1993 all over again. Hird will never coach again.
View attachment 391598 Buckley was thrown to the wolves by Eddie in one of the most insane moves in football history. The Pies had it all in 2010 and 2011, why the change occurred at that time only the mind of Eddie McGuire can answer that mystery. I actually think Buckley is a good coach let down by a recruiting team of numb-nuts! Buckley could coach elsewhere, but i suspect the black & White blood running through his veins will nullify any chance ha has of doing anything other than annoying Hutchy and Caro on Footy Classified!

Of the current crop Hodge to coach ? you would think so.
Dangerfield: He should have a crack it when his time is up.
Martin: Nope.
Pendlebury: Looks to have a coaching job waiting upon retirement if he wants it?

The best players are not necessarily the best coaches!

I actually don't think Hodge will be a coach. Mitchell will though

if we're talking purely about coaching, Hird was pretty good.
Had the team playing a good balance of defence and attack.
Our skills were pretty good during his tenure. We won on the road (not our strong suit), and we took it up to some decent teams.

Dependent on your view of his role in the supplements program (naively negligent vs main peg), he's either the best or worst of the three for the damage inflicted on the club

I will say of the 3, he's left the club in a better shape list wise

Dunno. If it was just negligence than that level of negligence is pretty ******* bad.

I remember when Bomber left Geelong I assumed Sanderson would get it. In hindsight I am glad they got Chris Scott; the coach needs to be someone with no ties to the club.

There are obvious exceptions of course; Worsfold got eagles a premiership for instance, but he was also given longer then a standard coach potentially would have, etc etc

Worsfold's first year as coach was in 2002 and the Eagles made the finals after being really s**t in 2001 and then made the finals every year under him until 2008.

He made a grand final in 2005 and then won in 2006.

Not really a case of someone being given a longer time imo.

You've failed at the first hurdle.
No. There's quotes from Hird and Watson in November of 2011 about how they intended to get bigger over the summer.

There's also texts between Hird and Dank confirming this, and how Dank would "need to change our biology for a while".

Our skills were pretty good during his tenure. We won on the road (not our strong suit), and we took it up to some decent teams.

Dependent on your view of his role in the supplements program (naively negligent vs main peg), he's either the best or worst of the three for the damage inflicted on the club

How many finals did you play under Hird?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

No. There's quotes from Hird and Watson in November of 2011 about how they intended to get bigger over the summer.

There's also texts between Hird and Dank confirming this, and how Dank would "need to change our biology for a while".
And pre dating those quotes is the closure of the windy hill hall of fame for an expanded gym, at the behest of Mark Thompson, who insisted we needed bigger bodies upon his arrival at the club.

And pre dating those quotes is the closure of the windy hill hall of fame for an expanded gym, at the behest of Mark Thompson, who insisted we needed bigger bodies upon his arrival at the club.
Right, so we just forget that it was Hird who was texting Dank about the players, their bodies, the drugs being used, what other clubs were doing....

Everyone knew it was Bomber Thompson who was the real head coach of the Bombers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez you are sad. Still trying to prove that something happened in a thread that has nothing to do with it, really. Understandable from someone who doesn't watch football anymore, but you're either trolling or.... head*ed?

Worsfold's first year as coach was in 2002 and the Eagles made the finals after being really s**t in 2001 and then made the finals every year under him until 2008.

He made a grand final in 2005 and then won in 2006.

Not really a case of someone being given a longer time imo.

No I meant afterwards; left in 2013 after eagles had sort of stagnated a little - even though they made finals the previous couple of seasons. I just felt at the time there wasn't a huge amount of pressure on him and part of that is because he is a favoured son.

But I could be wrong! Maybe I am just misremembering

No I meant afterwards; left in 2013 after eagles had sort of stagnated a little - even though they made finals the previous couple of seasons. I just felt at the time there wasn't a huge amount of pressure on him and part of that is because he is a favoured son.

But I could be wrong! Maybe I am just misremembering

Oh I can agree with that but I think winning the premiership gave him credits.

Geez you are sad. Still trying to prove that something happened in a thread that has nothing to do with it, really. Understandable from someone who doesn't watch football anymore, but you're either trolling or.... head****ed?
Stick to making lame puns.

So now that Buckley she coaching career is basically done who was the best coach of the three?

Does their coaching contributions change how you rate them in regards to overall football cotnribution?

Do you think clubs will now learn from hiring favourite sons to head coaching positions only a couple of years after retirement?

I will rate crazy Vossy the best coach simply cos he didn't take one of the youngest premiership teams of all time and completely dismantled it. And yet Buckley still rates higher then Hirdy for obvious reasons.

After their playing careers I had them ranked 1) Voss, 2) Hird and 3) Buckley.

As for their contribution to football it's now 1) Voss, 2) Buckley 3) Hird.

As for the last question. The answer is No. Pendlebury will be coaching the pies in 5 years time. Just like favourite sons Buckley and Shaw before him.

I don,t subscribe to the comment that Buckley,s time is done yet. In fact I am continually amazed at how the coach is massacred by the press when he can only train and only give his instructions to his players , how then can he do any more except go out on the ground and play the match for them!

In fact Collingwood at different times can be devastating so my point is that how far can you go at blaming recruiting in the past. when a team is capable to do great damage to an opponent.

And at times under Buckley the Pies have been pretty pretty good.

I fail to see any way that the coach can bring the team to the top ,the only way is for the players to perform at the level they are being paid for, and that may mean that actually following your instructions, if players are not then the coach may have a personality problem in his team, but if it's only one say then get rid of the player.

A new coach at Collingwood will have to begin all over again,
and Collingwood are in a medium range rejigging, I think he should have the time to reach his goal.

Hardwick at Richmond for me would be in more strife, even Ross Lyon looks lamer to me, and here we are with idiots commenting on the fact that he may be on the new coach list.

What rot! Think on other coaches that have their sides in fall down motion, I believe the Buckley attacks are just that, bullshit , and over reaction, footy can take years , years!

I don,t subscribe to the comment that Buckley,s time is done yet. In fact I am continually amazed at how the coach is massacred by the press when he can only train and only give his instructions to his players , how then can he do any more except go out on the ground and play the match for them!

In fact Collingwood at different times can be devastating so my point is that how far can you go at blaming recruiting in the past. when a team is capable to do great damage to an opponent.

I fail to see any way that the coach can bring the team to the top ,the only way is for the players to perform at the level they are being paid for, and that may mean that actually following your instructions, if players are not then the coach may have a personality problem in his team, but if it's only one say then get rid of the player.

and Collingwood are in a medium range rejigging, I think he should have the time to reach his goal.

Hardwick at Richmond for me would be in more strife, even Ross Lyon looks lamer to me, and here we are with idiots commenting on the fact that he may be on the new coach list.

What rot! Think on other coaches that have their sides in fall down motion, I believe the Buckley attacks are just that, bullshit , and over reaction, footy can take years , years!
The reason you pick a coach is because you want success. Collingwood is getting worse every year that Buckley coaches so I think the criticism is warranted.

I hear what you're saying - he can't kick it for them, but he's been given every chance of success. They're not rushing him out the door without giving him a good crack at it - he's had 6 seasons. He doesn't have to deliver a flag in that time but a finals finish or upward trajectory or a top 4 finish would show they're on the right track.

The wide diff between their best and worse actually works against buckley. Part of his role is to get the best out of his players and motivate them. If this only happens occasionally it's not good.

I am sorry but anyone who thinks Lyon was ever under pressure this year is berefit. The Fremantle board knew they would have to rebuild when they signed him for five years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back