Autopsy vs Lions - Rd 11, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of the handball and run in the first half was jaw dropping. Unfortunately in the second half i was fighting the noddies

giphy.gif

I wonder if the umpires overreacted after this article during the week saying we were the number one free kick winner. Amazing how something like this can influence the thought process... Shouldn't but can...

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-30/free-kick-facts-who-gets-em-who-gives-em-away

North Melbourne

Frees for per game: 24.2 (1st)
Frees against: 19.9 (5th)
Differential: +4.3 (1st)

Most free kicks for: Ben Brown (27, equal-third) 2017: Todd Goldstein (37, equal-13th)
Most free kicks against: Ben Jacobs (22, equal-third) 2017: Robbie Tarrant and Ben Cunnington (30, equal-26th)

Three free kick facts:
1. Ben Brown has kicked the most goals from free kicks (nine) and received the most inside 50 frees (13) this year.
2. Only Melbourne (162) has won more free kicks in the midfield than the Kangaroos (161) in 2018.
3. Jack Ziebell (130) has conceded the 10th-most free kicks in the past five seasons. - Marc McGowan

I was really happy with the first half, we put the cue in the rack a bit in the second half which was disappointing. We just need to stick to the basics for four quarters, doesn't matter how far ahead we are.

Brown is making himself too easy to spoil, irrespective of the inconsistency with the free kicks, he needs to lead out harder, be more consistent with the leading. He only took 2 marks inside 50, he just wasn't a good option a lot of the time. Today should have been a 5 goal type of game given the amount of inside 50s we had and we quite often hit players in the clear.

Was a fantastic first game by Ahern, Murphy was really solid as well, very pleasing from our new players. Hopefully Jed and Waite are available next week.

McDonald had a great game, still managed a sloppy defensive switch which cost us a goal but overall was great.

Today marks the first time in all my life following football that I saw my club win by 9 goals and left the ground with an overriding emotion of pure anger.

It would be letting the officiating off easily to suggest they were just bad, they were downright shameful.

It was as if AFL house had sent message to the umpires via their ear pieces half way through the second quarter that a 25 goal blowout was not going to be tolerated against one of their franchises. They simply have too much invested to allow that.

From that point onward, a criminal act unfolded on the Docklands arena.

Brisbane were massively flattered by today's result.

If they send those 3 clowns down to Geelong next week with the same agenda, North may as well not bother showing up..

Umpires chumpires meh.

Good teams rise above all obstacles.

Today's result just confirms why you need to start booking your finals tix :thumbsu:

Who was on Beams? Amazing to see he can kick 4 in junk time.

Extremely disappointed we let them kick 84 points in 3 quarters of footy. That’s alarming.

Losing Jed hurt us in transition as the lions waltzed it forward a times, even factoring in for fatigue. He and Clarke are elite runners both ways and didn’t defend the turnover well at all.
We definitely took our foot off the pedal in the second quarter and we’ll truly off in the second half.

Wright was good. Happy for him to get amongst it.

Higgins best on ground, with Goldi and McDonald.

The umpires ruined the contest so take it and move on.

A judge would hang them on circumstantial evidence alone Scotty.

It's right up there with the most appalling handful of displays I have ever witnessed over several hundred games as a spectator.

It was criminal.
It was blatant AFL damage control umpiring. Not as bad as 1994 and 2015 prelims but shithouse all the same. The inconsistency from one decision to the next was astonishing.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was blatant AFL damage control umpiring. Not as bad as 1994 and 2015 prelims but shithouse all the same. The inconsistency from one decision to the next was astonishing.

It's all about the 'product'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swings and roundabouts. The most concern is how Brown is treated every week. That is ongoing and the club needs to speak to the umpiring dept about it.
The biggest concern with the way umpires adjudicate Brown is that if they give him 1 free they let the next 3 go for some fear of being unfair to the opposition. If they are there just pay them you twits.

The biggest concern with the way umpires adjudicate Brown is that if they give him 1 free they let the next 3 go for some fear of being unfair to the opposition. If they are there just pay them you twits.

Correct.

There is some sick obsession with 'letting the game flow' and 'only paying the obvious ones'.

If they paid every kick, players would stop pushing the boundaries.

In Netball, they pay 588594684839 penalties a game. Doesn't seem to slow that game down.

I don’t think so.

There is always three umpires that shaft us constantly and we had two of them today. It can’t be a coincidence that the three are always shocking against us either.

I would love to the stats of free kicks for and against from Margetts, Schmidt and Donelan.

I think you would find they would be very lopsided in the against.

Last edited:

I honestly think there's only one response to the BBB free or not quandary and that I'd be more Carey like Ben, own the space command the football, strut and march around like there are no other options than marking the ball or infringing on BBB taking a mark :footy:

THEY WERE INSTRUCTED TO STEM THE FLOW! INCOMPETENCE ALONE CANNOT EXPLAIN WHAT UNFOLDED TODAY.THE MOMENT NORTH GOT 10 IN FRONT HALFWAY THROUGH THE SECOND QUARTER, IT STARTED AND DID NOT CEASE.

I DON'T GIVE A **** WHAT ANYONE THINKS, GET ME THE TIN FOIL HAT AND I WILL GLADLY PUT IT ON!

Just saw something worse on TV than the umpiring of our game, interview with Barney Joyce and his missus :greenalien: (accidental button push now I'm hooked) car crash

I was really happy with the first half, we put the cue in the rack a bit in the second half which was disappointing. We just need to stick to the basics for four quarters, doesn't matter how far ahead we are.

Brown is making himself too easy to spoil, irrespective of the inconsistency with the free kicks, he needs to lead out harder, be more consistent with the leading. He only took 2 marks inside 50, he just wasn't a good option a lot of the time. Today should have been a 5 goal type of game given the amount of inside 50s we had and we quite often hit players in the clear.

Was a fantastic first game by Ahern, Murphy was really solid as well, very pleasing from our new players. Hopefully Jed and Waite are available next week.

McDonald had a great game, still managed a sloppy defensive switch which cost us a goal but overall was great.

Tend to agree on Brown. He was beaten regardless of the frees. Ok last week and was beaten bar one quarter the week before. Just needs a plan B and he will be fine.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

THEY WERE INSTRUCTED TO STEM THE FLOW! INCOMPETENCE ALONE CANNOT EXPLAIN WHAT UNFOLDED TODAY.THE MOMENT NORTH GOT 10 IN FRONT HALFWAY THROUGH THE SECOND QUARTER, IT STARTED AND DID NOT CEASE.

I DON'T GIVE A **** WHAT ANYONE THINKS, GET ME THE TIN FOIL HAT AND I WILL GLADLY PUT IT ON!
I always imagine you wearing one anyway

Last edited:
I dont even know if jys contact even led to him hitting the ground. it seemed like he was sort of attempting a blind turn when he lost his footing and hit his head on the ground. Surely nothing to see here.

I’m with you mate - I doubt he knew he was there from what I saw - the kid is a ******* jet

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back