State Focus WA 2019 - Western Australia's junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From that list Matthew Johnson seems to be the only one playing colts already. Has played three games and from his stats looks to be holding his own avg 16 touches and should keep his spot for now.
He's a gun. Big loss for the Subi futures team.

Do the "Worlds" team and the Boomerangs still play in the U16 national champs? They are not on the fixtures. I believe they have previously played a one off game versus each other in the Div 2 comp.

Heres the WA U15 SSWA team.
Josh BELL Newman College
Kane BEVAN Prendiville Catholic College
Chase BOURNE Corpus Christi College
Adam BROCK La Salle College
Luke BROWN Christ Church Grammar School
Jedd BUSSLINGER Trinity College
Lewis CRUMP Scotch College
Joshua DRAPER Emmanuel Catholic College
Jacob EVITT Ashdale Secondary College
Jed HAGAN Nagle Catholic College
Tom HALLETT Aquinas College
Elijah HEWETT Guildford Grammar School
Connor HOLDAWAY Warwick Senior High School
Mitchell KEENE Nagle Catholic College
Jude MAZZUCCHELLI Cape Naturaliste College
Tjiirdm MCGUIRE Guildford Grammar School
Cooper OSBORNE Comet Bay College
Dane ROSSEN Eastern Hills Senior High School
Blake SAABAN Governor Stirling Senior High
Jasper SCAIFE Warwick Senior High School
Byron SHERWOOD Irene McCormack Catholic College
Kade SZYSZKA Bunbury Senior High School
Jiripas Mel WATSON Governor Stirling Senior High School
Darcy WILLS Mandurah Catholic College
Luke YEO Corpus Christi College

Also, the U15 SSWA team next year is chaning to an U14 team (bad luck to the 2005 born kids as they will miss their top age year). I reckon getting rid of the U15s is a good thing. There are very few players here in WA who get named in the U15s SSWA one year and then the U16s the next year. It is almost always under 10 players. There surely can't be that much turnover? More than half U15's are never heard of again in football circles. I don't think the U15's are taken too seriously? its expensive (approx $3K) for WA kids so that counts a lot of kids out and then the following year they can make a team with minimal costs. The SSWA trials here are bash and crash - one game per trial so its very dependant on how big your personality is and what position who get. I went to these trials this year in WA and I can assure this list is not the best kids from WA week in week out. They are mostly flashy kids who held the ball for far too long and turned it over too often but because they took a few risks they were noticed. The U16s is indicative of a much more balanced player who has been watched in a team following team rules and not just looking after themselves.

Also, the U15 SSWA team next year is chaning to an U14 team (bad luck to the 2005 born kids as they will miss their top age year). I reckon getting rid of the U15s is a good thing. There are very few players here in WA who get named in the U15s SSWA one year and then the U16s the next year. It is almost always under 10 players. There surely can't be that much turnover? More than half U15's are never heard of again in football circles. I don't think the U15's are taken too seriously? its expensive (approx $3K) for WA kids so that counts a lot of kids out and then the following year they can make a team with minimal costs. The SSWA trials here are bash and crash - one game per trial so its very dependant on how big your personality is and what position who get. I went to these trials this year in WA and I can assure this list is not the best kids from WA week in week out. They are mostly flashy kids who held the ball for far too long and turned it over too often but because they took a few risks they were noticed. The U16s is indicative of a much more balanced player who has been watched in a team following team rules and not just looking after themselves.
The 15s doesn’t mean much at all and the selection process has always been questionable. The 16s seems to be a more fair process, although a few average players still seem to find there way in.The most important one is most definitely the 18s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jed Hagan going around again for the 3rd time in this grade?....no doubt Luke Yeo is related to Elliot from WCE....younger sibling?

Jed Hagan going around again for the 3rd time in this grade?....no doubt Luke Yeo is related to Elliot from WCE....younger sibling?
It’s not his brother. I think he’s a cousin. Kid can find the ball but nearly every kick is a turnover. It is kind of the theme of the team.

The 15s doesn’t mean much at all and the selection process has always been questionable. The 16s seems to be a more fair process, although a few average players still seem to find there way in.The most important one is most definitely the 18s
Yeah. At least the 16’s in theory have been watched a few times in their Futures teams. Interesting that nearly all of the East Freo 16’s kids are from the country and the city boys didn’t make it.

Yeah. At least the 16’s in theory have been watched a few times in their Futures teams. Interesting that nearly all of the East Freo 16’s kids are from the country and the city boys didn’t make it.
Yeah it is interesting and some of the kids that missed out on selection was a shock. I’m wondering if this years 16s Squad has more of a focus on developing kids that show some degree of talent but don’t have access to good development programs through schools or wafl clubs consistently.After all the more kids getting developed in elite programs the more chances of getting drafted which equals more money for the wafc. Just a thought.

Considering EF only country zone is Geraldton, that is a positive result for GNFL development and worrying for EF local metro footy....cyclic no doubt...all those under 16 state reps from EF bar Jaques, are from Geraldton I believe.....Sandy, McVee, Bartlett etc

Considering EF only country zone is Geraldton, that is a positive result for GNFL development and worrying for EF local metro footy....cyclic no doubt...all those under 16 state reps from EF bar Jaques, are from Geraldton I believe.....Sandy, McVee, Bartlett etc
Correct except Jacques is originally from Gero and they are taking credit for him. Not sure how long he’s been in Perth or maybe he’s a boarder somewhere? The local favourites (Jeremy Sharp’s younger brother and Chad Warner’s younger brother) and a kid called Seth Connor who made the U15’s last year were all overlooked. I’m not surprised though. Sharp jnr made the U12’s in his day. As I’ve always said it really depends when you and your body peak and they play a selfish brand which is what SSWA love but not the State 16’s.

it will be interesting as the championships are played to see how the 2002 and 2003 kids go. there's a lot of new names in the U16's which are 2003's.

This got me thinking about the transition from U16 to U18. So I went through the U16 team list from 2017 and compared it to this year's U18 list.
33 kids were in U16 in 2017.
Only 10 are in U18 this year. the other 23 didn't make the U18's list. that is a huge difference!!
Of the 35 boys in U18 this year, 10 were in U16 and 25 new kids (7 are 2002 who weren't eligible for U16 two years ago), plus 5 or so 2001's (some of who made the U16 as over-agers) and 10 new 2001's (top age U18 and this is their draft year). It just goes to show how each year is so different!

I have a question for anyone in the know. Jeremy Sharp was in the leadership group in the U16's in 2017, plus he made AA last year as a bottom aged U18. surprised to see he's not in the leadership group this year at top age U18. Any ideas why?

Coaches proberbly know he’s a certainty so it gives others a better chance to develop their leadership skills and hopefully raise the number of WA draftees. My 2 cents

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
yeah maybe. wouldn't think leadership and getting drafted have to be mutual though. Leaders are leaders regardless. deven Robertson classic example. he'd also be a certainty but they have him as the stand alone captain this year.

it will be interesting as the championships are played to see how the 2002 and 2003 kids go. there's a lot of new names in the U16's which are 2003's.

This got me thinking about the transition from U16 to U18. So I went through the U16 team list from 2017 and compared it to this year's U18 list.
33 kids were in U16 in 2017.
Only 10 are in U18 this year. the other 23 didn't make the U18's list. that is a huge difference!!
Of the 35 boys in U18 this year, 10 were in U16 and 25 new kids (7 are 2002 who weren't eligible for U16 two years ago), plus 5 or so 2001's (some of who made the U16 as over-agers) and 10 new 2001's (top age U18 and this is their draft year). It just goes to show how each year is so different!

I have a question for anyone in the know. Jeremy Sharp was in the leadership group in the U16's in 2017, plus he made AA last year as a bottom aged U18. surprised to see he's not in the leadership group this year at top age U18. Any ideas why?

Great write up. Such a difference in development in two years. Goes to show that the 16’s although a great achievement ultimately doesn’t affect what happens in the 18’s

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Awesome game by the WA boys. They let a couple of easy goals slide through in the last quarter else it would have been a very one sided game.

After this result, I wonder if we'll see a rise in the draft board by our WA boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back