Play Nice Post sanction: Taylor Walker publically apologises for his racial slur

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, it is a good apology, and it seems to have been taken as genuine given that Young was willing to appear in the apology video.

But I really hope that people take notice of what a lot of other Aboriginal people are saying about this - that it's not an isolated one-off issue, it's something they see, hear, and feel on a regular basis.

Innocent until proven guilty is something the internet really isn’t good for.

Because public opinion isn’t bound by the presumption of innocence. Nor should it be.

George Pell was cleared, but I’m still not letting him babysit my kid.

I'm pretty shocked he hasn't been sacked. I'm all for reform but he's in the twilight of his career.

Adelaide just can't take a trick these days it seems. Tough position for them to be in but I just wonder if sacking him would have sent the stronger message. Seems weak as a club to let him off.

It would be a very harsh penalty to sack him, that would effectively end his career in disgrace.

Six weeks for a racial slur but try and crush the throat of a bloke laying on the ground and get two..

AFL soft on violence, strong on the woke political correctness. World has gone mad
Both deserve 6 imo.

Viney was George Floyd material. Disgraceful. Got off lightly because of his surname and his choir boy looks.

Without getting into the penalty.

The biggest take from this is to congratulate the offical who reported it and then to Adelaide for passing it on. It’s exactly what we want not only in footy clubs but in society for casual racism to be called out, even when their isn’t the intend target isn’t there to hear it.

So well done to the offical & well done to Adelaide.

I disagree with this take. This official had a choice. Take Walker aside and admonish him for what was said and make it clear it’s not acceptable. Educate him privately.

Or….

Dob him in to the club, who were then left with no choice but to make this public and sanction Walker. Walker, who made a very poor mistake, is humiliated with reputation permanently tarnished. The Adelaide FC is dragged through the mud, losing sponsors, supporters and members. Adelaide supporters are embarrassed by their club because of the actions of one person…. The entire playing list is tarnished etc…

Everybody makes mistakes. He’s an ex club captain. He said something privately that was inappropriate …. he’s not Robinson Crusoe there …football clubs are supposed to be ‘families’ …

If you overheard your child or nephew or niece or cousin make a racist remark to someone, would you dob them in to the club’s management and have them punished? Or would you admonish them privately, educate them and not punish them with public humiliation that lasts a lifetime?

Maybe that’s just me…?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

interesting to see the racism arguments and views around it.

generally the white v black argument re: racism takes away all context and nuance - what about bosnian/serbs, jewish people etc.

australia has an incredibly heavy anti-black racist background - voting rights, genocide, cultural destruction, demonisation etc. that's the context. read about john batman's history, the bloke who 'founded' melbourne, and about what he did in Tasmania.

that's not an opinion, that's history. amplifies things for better or worse. if hypothetically an indigenous player said 'smash that white boy', I'd anticipate you would not see as many issues, because there's significantly less racial context going the other way, that's your 'reverse racism'. less outstanding trauma.

for instance, the word 'cracker' to describe a white person is less offensive than the n-word because there's nowhere near the amount of contextual, impactful racism behind it. call someone the n-word or insult their black skin and you're harking back centuries of anti-black racism and all the genocide/slavery/prejudice associated.

it's the same for gender and sex. you'll see 'positive discrimination' against typically white straight english-speaking males in job searches. people want to espouse and support diversity because of contextual sexism and racism, making things right etc.

tldr: racism isn't black and white (no pun intended), there's history and context which create a massive grey area.

every chance that tex is stepped down for this.
Well said, There is a lot around the place who just don't get this ..or more importantly, just don't want to accept it.

Projected time-line for big Taylor:

Now- Will be stood down pending a long-running investigation, and subsequently not seen for the remainder of the season.
Next- Adelaide will discreetly announce his retirement during the lead up to the first week of finals, coupled with a tearful exit speech on Zoom from Taylor, where he'll no doubt say:
a) that he's "still got a lot to learn"
b) that "the Adelaide footy club has been like a family to me"
c) and that he "wants to be the best person he can be".
Then- He'll take a year off in 2022, completely fade from public life. Maybe spend some time in South-East Asia, and possibly find himself.
Later- In 2023 he'll start to do some part-time footy special comments on 5AA, and attend numerous junior footy clinics across S.A where he'll be pictured doing all the 'right things'.
And finally- In 2024 he will be proudly announced as part of channel 7's footy commentary team(alongside the honourable Wayne), and will no doubt lace-up the boots for an annual 'legends' match somewhere around the country.

The boys club entry is guaranteed.

Scary how accurate that is. Bravo.

Big week in Football, we've learnt that a poor choice of words is 3x worse than burying your elbow in someone's carotid artery and holding it there.

Racism is s**t, the AFL are worse!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has been playing with many indigenous players throughout his career and probably has seen first hand the abuse they have copped. To say he will learn from this is a fanciful thought.

You would think he knew better playing along side Betts who had been targeted

Just shows you how much of a bigot flog he is

No. Lumping all people in a single group by their skin colour and then accusing them all of something is in fact racist.

Its really not that hard. But Im glad you are trying to keep up.
I reckon he may be onto something given our track record over the years regarding constitutional rights for our indigenous brothers and sisters, how sneaky politicians tap into our fear of immigration and which possible immigrants may not be good enough to enter ‘our’ country, ‘fit in or **** off etc.

Let's be honest, anyone surprised one bit that Tex is a racist pig? The bloke is a true redneck bogan with a brain the size of a walnut.

This w***er was front and centre with all the racism crap that Betts copped throughout his career at Adelaide. You'd think he would have seen the toll it had taken on Betts and his family, and learn and educate himself around this issues. Imagine how Betts would be feeling.

Culture at the club is toxic ad it comes. The sooner the likes of Walker, Sloane, Riccuito are gone from that club the better.

Watch some of the media paint him as the victim. I see his boys club bestie in Bernie Vince has already started that..

fu** Tex.

Eddie was my first thought in all of this too. I'd feel pretty betrayed if that were me in Eddie's shoes.

There are definitely a lot of underlying issues, the fact a club official reported it is the one positive in all this.

Considering how focussed the AFL is on stamping this out, I thought it would be more than six weeks.

Without getting into the penalty.

The biggest take from this is to congratulate the offical who reported it and then to Adelaide for passing it on. It’s exactly what we want not only in footy clubs but in society for casual racism to be called out, even when their isn’t the intend target isn’t there to hear it.

So well done to the offical & well done to Adelaide.

I completely agree. I doubt every club would have done the same.

Well done Adelaide.

Does the AFL just give a lifetime ban to anyone making a racist comment?

Does the victim get a say? What if they dont want a lifetimr ban?

Do you not think the current structure of ban, financial penalty, apology, and education has in a large way been structured by players who have been abused having a say?

Do any other penalties for offences other than vilification include apologies and education ?
I don't think you can have such a disparity between how you handle fans who are much less educated and players who are educated on a daily basis. I would personally have players suspended for a full season.

Education is all well and good but what more can they provide Tex in extra educational classes that he hasn't received in the 15 years he's likely been educated, he played alongside Eddie Betts for christ's sake.

I reckon he may be onto something given our track record over the years regarding constitutional rights for our indigenous brothers and sisters, how sneaky politicians tap into our fear of immigration and which possible immigrants may not be good enough to enter ‘our’ country, ‘fit in or **** off etc.

We are racist because of something amended 54 years ago by all states in the highest Yes vote out of any referendum in our history...

BTW: you dont think Australia should have a say on who emigrates here? I mean this has absolutely zero to do with what Tex did on the weekend but that is just a bizarre thing to say.

As I posted elsewhere while the amount of weeks seems on face value a big punishment that it’s all relative

6 weeks to a team fighting for a spot, like say Sydney, would be infinitely more harsh than 6 weeks for a player who was already out of finals and this suspension could likely improve adelaides draft position. Something crow fans have been calling for the club to do for months.

If the afl cared about more than appearances they would consider this.

He has been playing with many indigenous players throughout his career and probably has seen first hand the abuse they have copped. To say he will learn from this is a fanciful thought.

That is what education is for. I’mcomfortable enough to give him the benefit of the doubt-and he’ll learn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back