Europe War in Ukraine - Thread 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah you walked into a human environment speaking inhumanely, ignoring the slaughter of innocent people. I hope I could correctly predict indignation. If I someone killed an innocent person in front of you, and you were upset about it, do you think you are acting overly indignant? [Yes] [No]

Ignoring? I haven't ignored anything mate. As I say, I simply presented alternative reports. I am prepared to give them as much credit as a statement from the UKR government though. I try to consider the objective of the report and the content of the report and add it to my understanding. (see epistemology below)

What American propaganda? Is there any? Show us some. I mean, show us anything at all, that is a claim which came out of the USA re Ukraine conflict, but isn't matched by equal statements from basically everyone else outside of RF. Or are you just trying to be "anti-USA" (fine) using the blood of innocent Ukrainian civilians (not fine). Place example of specifically American propaganda, relevant to Ukraine conflict, here: ______________________

BOTH SIDES ARE PRODUCING PROPAGANDA. As for examples - where is the balanced reporting that governs YOUR view? Or does what you read and hear simply accord with your own world view thus is the onus is placed on the counter argument? I deliberatly read things that DON'T agree with my world view because it is important to attempt to get a balanced view. The fact is, as I stated - propaganda is pretty much all we read and devour. I use some independant journos for this understanding (The Saturday Paper, Scott Ritter, Mary Kostakidis, Peter Cronau, Caitlin Johnstone, Sy Hersh etc) Do those people have agendas too? Yes, of course. But they present LESS of a corporate and/or Murdoch-driven view than the BBC, News Ltd , AP, the Washington Post, the NY Times, the WSJ etc. (the last 3, incidentally, do offer in some reports at least an effort to provide a balance).

I'm Anti-imperialist. I recall Vietnam, Cambodia, Saudi Arabia, Iraq etc. More recently, Venezuela, Syria. The fact that "innocent people get killed" is, to some extent because the west/USA decided to intervene in a foreign power's government, ostensibly to protect it's own interests. And that's the kicker - in geopolitics, there are no permanent friends or permanent enemies, just permanent interests. So, you must therefore consider the involvement by the USA in initiating those conflicts from that perspective. What did they get out of those conflicts? That the USA routinely overthrows otherwise democratically elected governments for its own interests, as the previous link shows, cannot reasonaly be argued against. This goes into my next point: is democracy, as we understand it, the best system for EVERYONE in the world? Some cultures prefer and are familiar with operating within otherwise autocratic estates. That WE feel aggrieved is western imperialism at the core. If they see our system of government and feel, as a society, that it sucks...then who are we to force democracy down their throats?

Yes, Assad, Hussein, Pol Pot etc were bad dudes. But, if you say you champion border/national sovereignty, you cannot then send in the World Police to bring democracy without compromising the very principle you claim to uphold! So, what were the motivations to remove those dictators by a foreign power? Was it out of the goodness of their hearts? Of course not, and it would naive to suggest it. But, the USA is happy to see it's OWN citizens slaughtered weekly, so it becomes questionable that "liberating a people" and "instilling democracy" is the primary motivation.

Why do you think an alternative view is acceptable? Truth is what the facts are. Alternative views are for religious nutcases, evolution deniers, flat earthers and anyone else who thinks data doesn't matter in epistemology. Data can change knowledge, surmisings can not.

Any view that totally embraces it's own righteousness is tyranny. Again, to suggest you champion democracy means you are prepared to give air to alternative, challenging positions that you may not agree with. If your definition of democracy is to live in an echo chamber, then you are espousing a non-democratic viewpoint. This is, as the digital age is showing, democracy's biggest problem. In a simplistic example, if 51% agree with a course of action or a policy, then it means 49% don't. Is that ok? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Is it the best system we have? Well, probably. The key being not everyone will agree with everything all the time. Again, if that is your definition of democracy ie, everyone agreeing 100% of the time with 100% of the policies/decisions, then it is misguided.

Epistemology is concerned not JUST with data, but also WHERE the data comes from, it's usefulness, the capacity to be understood and the limits that aforementioned impose. We cannot therefore simply see data as knowledge, because all information must be assessed through those filters. Hence why informing yourself form many angles, whether you concur or not, is a good idea and what appears to be sadly lacking here.

Wording the discussion of genocide as a matter of debate is Irvingesque. You made claims and you got responses.
I presented information contrary to the majority view. The responses I got were, to my mind, as absent of evidence as what you suggest mine were.

Yeah the old "it's more complex than that" trope. Everybody knows that there are complex elements related to this conflict, but tbh I don't think a kid in Vinnitsia watching her foot fall back to the ground in front her could give too much a of a rats about someone moving a piece on a strategy board on the other side of the world right now. We have three threads chockers with varying contributions here. But it still comes down to terrorism and genocide and empire building overall, and I don't give a * if I missed a tidbit, I just want innocent people to stop dying. Will you agree that this is the primary concern? [Yes] [No]

Of course! And with that in mind, why was China's recent de-escalation proposal rejected? Why were Israel's and Turkey's peace plans similarly rejected last year? Were they "not advantageous" to UKR? Most likely yes. So, if the definition of a suitable peace deal is UKR getting what it wants, at the expense of the other combatant, is that not punitive and hardly in the spirit of stopping the bloodshed? Again, refer to the statement on geopolitical interests. I'll note that when Russia invaded Crimea, there wasn't similar outrage by the west, which reinforces the point.
Not for you, I guess.

I have a Russian apologist friend who grew up in Luhansk and truly believes that Ukraine is full of Satanic Nazis among my friends. She has a scar from an explosion which demolished her house while she hid in a basement, that she believes came from the Ukrainian side, back in 2015ish - her uncle also died in this attack, iirc. If someone wants to tell me that I am not listening to both sides of the story sufficiently - it can be her, not some random who likes to turn the murder of children into their personal "arguing on the internet" plaything. I don't believe too much of what she claims, but I at least believe that she believes it.

I am appalled at such a story - but, at least I understand you have a personal and emotional connection to the violence. Which naturally will govern the tone of your posting. But, emotion often overrides rational discourse.

Finally, consult Amnesty International's UKR 2021 report - that will give a pre-war assessment of UKR liberty. They were, not surprisingly, hardly the bastions of "freedom and democracy" that the war propaganda would have you (all) believe. Do we do similarly? Yes, although perhaps we have more avenues of challenging the government agencies which otherwise curtail liberty. This year, for example, we have refused to allow the UN to view, monitor and assess our jails and the conditions and situations of the prisoners therein. Furthermore, 36% of prisoners are in jail on remand without conviction, sometimes for crimes that wouldn't impose a custodial sentence even were they convicted. Those are but 2 examples, I'm sure there'd be more.

To suggest we have an inalienable duty or right, as a western nation, to bring our vision of "freedom and democracy" to the world, and to accuse (in this case) Russia of crimes that we ourselves commit (you mentioned genocide before? Our history with First Nation's people bears examining) as the justification for such an action is beyond arrogant. If these issues are the driving force behind the outrage, then why weren't more people campaigning about Russian autocratic excess daily, prior to the recent events in UKR? To feel uncomfortable with the truth is fine. To label the speaker as...whatever appellation you lot award me....is exactly WHY our liberty and democratic values are being eroded. You'll note in the last 2 paragraphs I used liberty and not freedom - contrary to the popular view, they are manifestly different.

Last edited:
You mean people expressing alternative views to yours?

No, I mean the sniping, snide remarks that are of no value to the discussion.

But, that's fine., I can bow out.

I only responded to Mobbs because he went to an effort.

Enjoy your thread.

TBH I skim-read your long post above - I find it hard to see any arguments or points that haven't already been posted. Which is fine, you took the time to gather your thoughts about it.

But at the same time there is this complete absence of consideration of the human and monetary cost. An acceptance of obviously fake reasoning from Putin - and reasoning that changes weekly.

"Save the Russians from Ukrainian persecution" - none proven. "stop the Nazis" - Putin relies on Nazis in his army. "No NATO bases" - he has NATO countries on his borders already.

Putin wants to control resources and build a sacrificial buffer against people wanting to take those resources. He wants to expand across Europe to more natural geographical barriers. He wants to bolster his position as a strong leader. And so on.

Ukrainians want to live without fear of being raped and murdered by Russian soldiers.

Pretty simple when you get down to it, whatever Zelensky's politics.

Ukraine isn't going to get LESS corrupt being a Putin vassal.

Yeah the concept was to get Bakhmut for the 24 Feb anniversary of the 'Special Operation'. Which is of course like telling you I'll give you a brewery for your birthday, then turning up a year later for your subsequent birthday and saying "it's running late but I have ordered you a stubby holder which hopefully will arrive in the next couple of days".

My thoughts these days are that Ukraine might have been able to hold Bakhmut, but seeing as RF has spent countless tens of thousands of troops fighting for it, why not just slowly slowly feign being driven out while the attrition rate (human and machine) is approx a ratio of 10:1 out of whack.

Ehh my sentence structure was bad, hope that makes sense.

In an ideal world, they gradually retreat and then roll straight back over the top when additional Western weapons arrive to reinforce them. Maximise losses for the Russians for effectively no gain

Key points in China's plan- West drops sanctions on Russia, west stops supplying Ukraine, West acknowledges Russia's security concerns, Ukraine agrees to Russian talks Sounds a lot like China is saying peace means Ukraine giving up and the West should let bullies do whatever it wants.

Sent from my SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Zero chance of the West dropping sanctions all the while there are Russian troops on Ukrainian soil
Zero chance of the West stopping supply's to Ukraine all the while Russian remains a threat
IF and its a big IF China needs tell Russia the first thing they have to do is withdraw all troops from Ukrainian soil, and there is no chance of that happening in the foreseeable future

Ignoring? I haven't ignored anything mate. As I say, I simply presented alternative reports. I am prepared to give them as much credit as a statement from the UKR government though. I try to consider the objective of the report and the content of the report and add it to my understanding. (see epistemology below)

You have ignored it and you are ignoring it again. Say RF forces have specifically aimed at civilian populations in Ukraine, in order to overcome resistance and remove or enthrall the Ukrainian people from their own sovereign territory - at times systematically executing and abusing innocent civilians, and you think that's terrible and must be stopped via RF's immediate withdrawal from Ukraine and setting about commencing reparations. Then, it might be believe that you haven't ignored it/

BOTH SIDES ARE PRODUCING PROPAGANDA. As for examples - where is the balanced reporting that governs YOUR view? Or does what you read and hear simply accord with your own world view thus is the onus is placed on the counter argument? I deliberatly read things that DON'T agree with my world view because it is important to attempt to get a balanced view. The fact is, as I stated - propaganda is pretty much all we read and devour. I use some independant journos for this understanding (The Saturday Paper, Scott Ritter, Mary Kostakidis, Peter Cronau, Caitlin Johnstone, Sy Hersh etc) Do those people have agendas too? Yes, of course. But they present LESS of a corporate and/or Murdoch-driven view than the BBC, News Ltd , AP, the Washington Post, the NY Times, the WSJ etc. (the last 3, incidentally, do offer in some reports at least an effort to provide a balance).
Yes they are. But you didn't say a "side" was, you said the USA was. The USA is not a "side". Ukraine definitely produces propaganda. But they're getting invaded and slaughtered so they'd need to.

Yes I respond to that which accords with my worldview. My worldview is that genocide is wrong. If this is not your worldview, I don't know what to say. Most of my sources are from Russia (DOTA, SOTA, OVD, NG, Meduza, Tayga, and other news outlets and otherwise channels) ... wait a minute ....
And you named Scott Ritter. Ok done ... you have no interest in reality. Oh god blah blah ******* blah .... read the threads, then come back.

Of course! And with that in mind, why was China's recent de-escalation proposal rejected? Why were Israel's and Turkey's peace plans similarly rejected last year? Were they "not advantageous" to UKR? Most likely yes. So, if the definition of a suitable peace deal is UKR getting what it wants, at the expense of the other combatant, is that not punitive and hardly in the spirit of stopping the bloodshed? Again, refer to the statement on geopolitical interests. I'll note that when Russia invaded Crimea, there wasn't similar outrage by the west, which reinforces the point.
Are you kidding. One nation (it's being imperialist btw) has invaded another nation. China's peace plan didn't say RF needed to remove itself rom Ukraine. That's why it's mocked, and treated as enabling at best. Someone has invaded someone else. Ukraine's responsibility is solely to not die. Everything else is on the RF. Turkey's was the same - can't remember Israel's. Musk also said similar - all failed to demand RF get out of Ukraine.
You treat RF and UKR as combatants??? If you will not admit one is terrorising and the other is persecuted by this terrorism, then you too are an apologist for terrorism. Ukraine's sole responsibility in this conflict is to protect itself and not die. It owes RF nothing in this conflict.
Geopolitical interest s (extant or not) are irrelevant. We know this because all of RF's stated reasonings have proven to be false. Biolabs, nazis, satanists, LGBT, "Nato bases in UKR" all are false or not even based on reality.

I am appalled at such a story - but, at least I understand you have a personal and emotional connection to the violence. Which naturally will govern the tone of your posting. But, emotion often overrides rational discourse.
Try responding emotionally to violence as well. Otherwise you might say the situation is complicated.

Finally, consult Amnesty International's UKR 2021 report - that will give a pre-war assessment of UKR liberty. They were, not surprisingly, hardly the bastions of "freedom and democracy" that the war propaganda would have you (all) believe. Do we do similarly? Yes, although perhaps we have more avenues of challenging the government agencies which otherwise curtail liberty. This year, for example, we have refused to allow the UN to view, monitor and assess our jails and the conditions and situations of the prisoners therein. Furthermore, 36% of prisoners are in jail on remand without conviction, sometimes for crimes that wouldn't impose a custodial sentence even were they convicted. Those are but 2 examples, I'm sure there'd be more.
Amnesty apologised for being infiltrated and retracted their clearly falsified data. The rest of this paragraph is whataboutism, something about Australia. Couldn't give a * tbh. Yes other things are wrong in the world - doesn't mean that this thing that's wrong can stay wrong. The numbers won't stack up if you are making a comparison : OVD-Info will show you how many incarcerations there have been simply for protesting.

To suggest we have an inalienable duty or right, as a western nation, to bring our vision of "freedom and democracy" to the world, and to accuse (in this case) Russia of crimes that we ourselves commit (you mentioned genocide before? Our history with First Nation's people bears examining) as the justification for such an action is beyond arrogant. If these issues are the driving force behind the outrage, then why weren't more people campaigning about Russian autocratic excess daily, prior to the recent events in UKR? To feel uncomfortable with the truth is fine. To label the speaker as...whatever appellation you lot award me....is exactly WHY our liberty and democratic values are being eroded. You'll note in the last 2 paragraphs I used liberty and not freedom - contrary to the popular view, they are manifestly different.
Every single word is whataboutism up to some ludicrous claim "our liberty and democratic values are being eroded" ... still irrelevant to Ukrainian civilians being slaughtered.
Yes genocide is wrong, wherever and whenever. It's another apologist talking point - RF should be allowed to wipe out an entire people, because other folks did it once before.

These are the same arguments brought dozens of times. They've been shown to be insufficient every time. Like now.

No, I mean the sniping, snide remarks that are of no value to the discussion.

But, that's fine., I can bow out.

I only responded to Mobbs because he went to an effort.

Enjoy your thread.
You are acting equivalent to an abusive, sociopathic, inhumane monster. Under no circumstance should there be a need to respond with delicacy to someone who cheerleaders rape, murder, slaughter and genocide. And my greatest shame is that you apparently considered me more kindly.

TBH I skim-read your long post above - I find it hard to see any arguments or points that haven't already been posted. Which is fine, you took the time to gather your thoughts about it.

But at the same time there is this complete absence of consideration of the human and monetary cost. An acceptance of obviously fake reasoning from Putin - and reasoning that changes weekly.

"Save the Russians from Ukrainian persecution" - none proven. "stop the Nazis" - Putin relies on Nazis in his army. "No NATO bases" - he has NATO countries on his borders already.

Putin wants to control resources and build a sacrificial buffer against people wanting to take those resources. He wants to expand across Europe to more natural geographical barriers. He wants to bolster his position as a strong leader. And so on.

Ukrainians want to live without fear of being raped and murdered by Russian soldiers.

Pretty simple when you get down to it, whatever Zelensky's politics.

Ukraine isn't going to get LESS corrupt being a Putin vassal.
Tbf Ukraine are one of the most corrupt countries in the world, and yet, while under fierce attack from the "hold my beer" neighbours in corruption, they have launched a cleanup to remove corruption that most other nations including our own could only dream of!

In an ideal world, they gradually retreat and then roll straight back over the top when additional Western weapons arrive to reinforce them. Maximise losses for the Russians for effectively no gain
That's kind of what I'm thinking. A part of me actually thinks they could do it right now if they wanted, but choose to let RF expend more resources first. This effectively means that the chances of there being another massive mobilisation/attack at a later date depletes further and further.

I will admit this is just my gears whirring, and I haven't heard any other source mention the same thing.

Ahhhh, yes. The righteous indignation. Predictable.

At no stage have I stated I am "pro-Putin" or "pro-Russia".

I have merely presented an alternative view, as per the mod post at the top "...whether to a poster positing a Pro-Ukraine stance or a poster positing an alternative view."

The pile on and assassination shows you are all happy to accept the view of American propaganda yet accuse me of falling for Russian propaganda.

Can you see the double standard there? This is how debate dies.

My position, FWIW, is the situation is far more complex than what is being "discussed" by you all. But that's a view that clearly offends.

No problem.

Enjoy your thread lads.
debate dies on this issue as there is actually nothing to debate without resorting to pro russian misinformation (eg the view of validating russian aggression by saying "nato bases getting too close" that is a bullshit justification to launch a war of territorial expansion).

Yeah the concept was to get Bakhmut for the 24 Feb anniversary of the 'Special Operation'. Which is of course like telling you I'll give you a brewery for your birthday, then turning up a year later for your subsequent birthday and saying "it's running late but I have ordered you a stubby holder which hopefully will arrive in the next couple of days".

My thoughts these days are that Ukraine might have been able to hold Bakhmut, but seeing as RF has spent countless tens of thousands of troops fighting for it, why not just slowly slowly feign being driven out while the attrition rate (human and machine) is approx a ratio of 10:1 out of whack.

Ehh my sentence structure was bad, hope that makes sense.

It was surprising that the anniversary went by without any major fanfare by Putin on the day or any huge barrage of Russian missiles. Putin would have loved to have had Bakhmut for the anniversary so that he could claim a victory however in the end he probably didn't want to draw attention to the failure.

As it stands it has taken the terrorists 8 months to get to this stage with Bakhmut and they have had to resort to using the VDV as frontline infantry. As you mention, the UAF could throw up a bigger defence however the whole premise in respect to the siege is to exhaust and deplete the Russian forces and equipment if it was deemed to be worth it.

Now it seems the time to move back to new defensive lines is upon the UAF. With mud season approaching, any further movement after Bakhmut will become extremely difficult for both sides (but Russia will try), and hopefully Ukraine can spend those months getting that promised western equipment and then fielding a viable offensive attack somewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's kind of what I'm thinking. A part of me actually thinks they could do it right now if they wanted, but choose to let RF expend more resources first. This effectively means that the chances of there being another massive mobilisation/attack at a later date depletes further and further.

I will admit this is just my gears whirring, and I haven't heard any other source mention the same thing.

Lets not forget that Russia's huge "spring" offensive actually started a month ago but the reason that there has been relative silence since then on their part is because they have largely failed to gain anything from it. That would suggest that Russia while having a manpower advantage doesn't have the required equipment to back that up (Wagner complaining about the lack of supplies lends credence to this), and the work being done at Bakhmut by the UAF is just adding to their mess.

Unless Russia can find more equipment from China, there will be a stage in the not too distant future where there will be holes appearing in their lines, and the UAF brigades that were involved in the liberation of Kherson who have been sitting on the sidelines since last year will be ready to expose.

Lets not forget that Russia's huge "spring" offensive actually started a month ago but the reason that there has been relative silence since then on their part is because they have largely failed to gain anything from it. That would suggest that Russia while having a manpower advantage doesn't have the required equipment to back that up (Wagner complaining about the lack of supplies lends credence to this), and the work being done at Bakhmut by the UAF is just adding to their mess.

Unless Russia can find more equipment from China, there will be a stage in the not too distant future where there will be holes appearing in their lines, and the UAF brigades that were involved in the liberation of Kherson who have been sitting on the sidelines since last year will be ready to expose.
And likely to hit them with Leopards as well

I am more cynical of how this is going. Putin has accepted the reality his aims at start of invasion went pear shaped but he also knows politics of other nations can change so he content to war of attrition as long it stops Ukraine from being able to function and will ride the bumps out if it takes the rest of his life on Earth. When it ends is anyone's guess but no solution to finish him and his regime off is present in leadership of nations supporting Ukraine. This could go on for a very long time, sadly, before anything significant happens that will change the status quo.

Tbf Ukraine are one of the most corrupt countries in the world, and yet, while under fierce attack from the "hold my beer" neighbours in corruption, they have launched a cleanup to remove corruption that most other nations including our own could only dream of!
Like I said, the path towards transparency and rule of law is not as a Russian vassal.

LOL WTF? Neutral platform?

elon musk smoking GIF

It has been the crux of the matter. Ever since the days of the Orange Revolution nearly two decades back now, Ukraine has been moving in stumbling direction of away from the corruption of old ways to something more fair to civilians of all types which scares the * out of old types like Putin as it the only system they know and can work with. He cannot live with this and has to invade to ruin everything that alien to what he can understand. It is fantastic what Ukraine been moving away from the old ways but sadly Russia wants to stop it all.

Last edited:
Due to the anniversary I went back and read through the first few weeks and found I had not forgotten but needed reminding of some of the pivotal happenings in the early stages, such as the airport exchanging hands several times at great cost to both sides but particularly Russia's VDV; the public resistance; and that massive convoy headed for Kyiv that got stalled into grid-lock.

Things really were in the balance back then - so thankful that Russia truly expected to be mostly welcomed as liberators (rather than welcomed by public throwing molotov cocktails), that they over-estimated their capabilities and underestimated the Ukrainians, and that their logistics and planning was abysmal. If they had really had their s**t together, things really could have been a lot different.

Never go full Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back