Europe War in Ukraine - Thread 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s also expensive to shoot down drones (I think I remember reading it cost 10 times as much to shoot a drone down then it does to build one) probably not the worst tactic to make Russia defend fairly insignificant drones.

It’s also expensive to shoot down drones (I think I remember reading it cost 10 times as much to shoot a drone down then it does to build one) probably not the worst tactic to make Russia defend fairly insignificant drones.
Depending what you shoot it down with, it can be as bad as using a $1,000,000+ missile for a $10,000 drone. Hence the reinterest in 'anti-aircraft' gunnery and the recent interest electronic means to destroy/disable drones. Both are vastly cheaper than missiles and have deeper magazines.

Depends hoe many Iran can supply. Looks like they have exhausted their best cruise missiles and now using what ever make shift missiles they can construct. Even repurposing SAM missiles for ground attacks.

Russia have been using the S400 system in ground attack mode. Problem is it's primarily a SAM system. In ground attack mode it's pretty inaccurate.

Depending what you shoot it down with, it can be as bad as using a $1,000,000+ missile for a $10,000 drone. Hence the reinterest in 'anti-aircraft' gunnery and the recent interest electronic means to destroy/disable drones. Both are vastly cheaper than missiles and have deeper magazines.

I think that’s why the German Gepard is so effective

It also forces Russia to spread their defenses. If Russia needs to defend the capital and their long supply lines, that reduces front line firepower.

It seems a fairly obvious strategy from Ukraine. First exhaust Russia's best troops (hence Bakhmut), conduct limited small scale interdiction strikes, attack Russian forward command centres, then launch a mobile counter offensive akin to the US in Baghdad doing their "thunder runs".

It's a very western approach to warfare but as shown with the limited push by Ukrainian troops last year it can be very effective.

I wonder if they are heading to Moscow if that changes the means of defence or not?

The idea of a sister city is to build greater understanding, cooperation and friendship between different nations by creating cultural, economic and sporting ties and exchanges between these sister cities. Russia didn't get the memo.

In other words the idea of a sister city is to give council members an excuse to use ratepayers money to go on useless junket holidays for their own benefit?

Seems more like Russia's been trying to take out/wear out through use the Patriot systems in Ukraine.

Since there are few Patriot batteries in Ukraine and one of the batteries is in Kyiv, it wouldn't make sense that if military targets were the goal most of the missiles/drones are aimed at the one city with defenses.

There are military targets all over Ukraine with nowhere near the level of protection as Kyiv.

I can't see how any separatists would get their hands on so many drones (looked like large payloads too).

Ukr to Moscow is 500 km, well within drone range of Kyiv.

I think it's Ukraine trying to show that the fight is coming to Moscow.

If it was false flag, there wouldn't have been so many. Plus, I'm not sure the benefits of false flag for Russia, given they're mostly on-board and there's no level of escalation left except perhaps greater conscription of Muscovites, but if that happens, the brain drain will be immediate and even more severe.

The drones hitting Moscow were shown to be Ukrainian made models. Doesn't seem to lend to the theory it was a false flag.

Yes, it seems that Russia is still wasting its missiles trying to hunt the Patriot system which seems weird considering they announced to the world they destroyed it last week.....Problem with doing this is that they are running low on cruise missiles and their capability allows for them to manufacture about 10 - 20 per month. They do have a higher supply of drones but that isn't taking out the the Patriot system.

Now the orcs couldn't take out the Patriot system using their own "impossible to defend against" Kinzhal missiles, yet Ukraine has taken out Russia's best AD system the S-400 with a HIMARS attacks, and this is the control unit to boot.

Highly unlikely to be Ukraine because they need the international community to be on their side. They know the support and aid would dry up very quickly if they attack Moscow.

Russia has relied on that premise way too much hence the incursions that basically just strolled through the border because Russia didn't even bother to defend it.

I think Ukraine would be behind it all, with the knowledge of the US. Bloody their nose a little and they have to divert troops and equipment from the front line to protect the borders and provide air defence for Moscow etc. Small in the grand scheme of things but can only help the offensive.

Russia has relied on that premise way too much hence the incursions that basically just strolled through the border because Russia didn't even bother to defend it.

I think Ukraine would be behind it all, with the knowledge of the US. Bloody their nose a little and they have to divert troops and equipment from the front line to protect the borders and provide air defence for Moscow etc. Small in the grand scheme of things but can only help the offensive.
If Ukraine does have a hand in it I think it may be the case of them giving the drones to the Anti Putin Russian army that invaded Belgorod and said "go nuts". This would give Ukraine somewhat plausibility in their denial they didn't do it themselves.

If Ukraine does have a hand in it I think it may be the case of them giving the drones to the Anti Putin Russian army that invaded Belgorod and said "go nuts". This would give Ukraine somewhat plausibility in their denial they didn't do it themselves.
This would be my guess, and ironically, is the same reason Russia created Wagner and other forces. Letting them get involved without officially getting involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You think Trump is going to entertain Putin's desires whilst he is losing a war? Trump will throw him under a bus if he gets in power.
I think Putin thinks Trump will entertain his desires.

The longer this war goes on, the worse it is for Russia. They are playing the long game, hoping that the west loses interest (and support) in Ukraine. A Trump presidency will certainly help with that; but Russia could well collapse before he theoretically came into office.

Footage of the incursion into Russia by the Freedom of Russian Legion the other week.

Really shows how badly the border is protected when these guys don't seem to be under any pressure and calmly seem to move into enemy territory with ease.

Footage of the incursion into Russia by the Freedom of Russian Legion the other week.

Really shows how badly the border is protected when these guys don't seem to be under any pressure and calmly seem to move into enemy territory with ease.

It'll be interesting to see how these Russian and other Russian anti Putin units are used once Ukraine's offensive starts. They may be used more inside Russia rather than on the battlefields in Ukraine.

Last edited:

“I’m not sure to what extent structural checks of the existing concrete piers have been carried out. The main risk for these will be that small cracks created during the explosion and collapse of the decks would allow sea water to enter and corrode the steel reinforcement. The assessment may have been that any damage is unlikely to affect structural safety in the short term, with remediation works planned for a later date.”

Reportedly this is Shebekino (between Belgorod and the Ukraine border):

In Shebekino, as a result of shelling, a multi-storey building is driven - a hostel near the city administration.

Earlier post also from SOTA:
The Grad strike on the building of the Department of Internal Affairs in Shebekino, as well as an attempt to break through the sabotage group, indeed, took place last night, sources of Sota in the regional government confirm.

According to them, the evacuation from Shebekino continues against the backdrop of sharply increased shelling.

They are explained by the location of the Russian military outside the city, which Ukrainian artillery fires at. Russian troops actually use the city as a human shield.

Reportedly this is Shebekino (between Belgorod and the Ukraine border):

In Shebekino, as a result of shelling, a multi-storey building is driven - a hostel near the city administration.

Earlier post also from SOTA:
The Grad strike on the building of the Department of Internal Affairs in Shebekino, as well as an attempt to break through the sabotage group, indeed, took place last night, sources of Sota in the regional government confirm.

According to them, the evacuation from Shebekino continues against the backdrop of sharply increased shelling.

They are explained by the location of the Russian military outside the city, which Ukrainian artillery fires at. Russian troops actually use the city as a human shield.

In a Shebekino [channel on VK] :
To be honest, this is complete horror and chaos. This horror began, of course, back on February 24 last year, but its scale is growing exponentially. And when a Russian city is ironed like this, that the inhabitants have to hide and leave, then seditious thoughts arise that could be voiced, but at the same time, for which now you can get a real term. If our city can be bombed like that, then what did Those want to achieve by starting all this. Shebekintsy, hold on! As always, our people are becoming extreme. Take care of your life and health. Let officials block the plumb line, but it leaks anyway. Russia, represented by the people, knows about your situation. I really hope that this people will start thinking for this reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back