Player Watch Father-Son Pick #60 (2021) - Jase Burgoyne

Remove this Banner Ad

It's scary how similar he is to his Dad. He can get to that level if he wants to.
Reckon he’s tougher earlier in his career than Peter was, but nowhere near as mercurial, skilled or polished. Peter became a braver, more resilient and reliable player from around 2004. Jase definitely lacks class with disposing of the ball, but he’s surprisingly “classy” in winning it around contests. He contests the ball with clean hands and strong body the way Lachie Jones must learn to do.

Excellent and so good in the dying stages it's great watching a young bloke who doesn't panic.
Him and JHF are our most clutch players. At other clubs it's the kids who are the least clutch, but at Port the kids are the players who have spent the least time with Ken Hinkley telling them that football is scary.

Reckon he’s tougher earlier in his career than Peter was, but nowhere near as mercurial, skilled or polished. Peter became a braver, more resilient and reliable player from around 2004. Jase definitely lacks class with disposing of the ball, but he’s surprisingly “classy” in winning it around contests. He contests the ball with clean hands and strong body the way Lachie Jones must learn to do.

You can add skill and polish. Everything else he's got can't be taught.

Best on tonight for me. He's one of the few players this team has who I'm confident will step up in big moments, and more often than not, make the right decision under pressure when games are extremely tight. He doesn't look natural given his frame and unconventional gait, but it clearly works for him, and despite his lack of size, he doesn't too often get beat in 1 on 1 contests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon he’s not playing with full confidence yet. Once he puts on a bit of size, he will be great

Best game for us. A couple of absolutely game defining plays in the last quarter. Nineteenth game today, still raw, so will have consistency issues. But potential is certainly there.

What I love about him is his natural footballing ability, being able to get into great positions, find open spaces, yet really contest well one on one. Has no problems finding/winning the ball, but earlier in the game I was a bit frustrated with some of his disposals & decision-making - Like passing to players under pressure when there were better options. That easy push-out in the last was also a bit meh.

But he just kept at it through the game, and got better and better, ending up one of the best on ground.

Fact is that he is still a weedy kid, and will continue to grow into his body, gain more confidence, and improve on his weaknesses. No doubt in my mind that he will go on to be a star of the comp in years to come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back