List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

He has quite slick hands. His handpasses are usually to the advantage of his teammate where the receiver doesn't have to break stride when the handpass is received. Excellent attribute to have.

Had at least one, maybe two or three, where he handballed into the ground to avoid an oncoming defender that put a teammate into space

Liked his game

Was watching him a bit at the game as he was lining up on the wing near my seat. He’s still learning where to run, there were a couple times he was clearly in the wrong spot and caught in no man’s land. Also a couple times he was in the right spot but wasn’t clean enough. Then a couple times he was in a good spot but burned by team mates.

I can see what the club is doing with him and the role. It will take time but hopefully he can make it work - think Blake Acres type.

I have noticed at times we completely pass our wingers when they're in miles of space at about 60-45m out, we'll just go long to a contest that's even numbers.

Waterman's making it look good and it can be the right option if it's done to advantage side. We're getting it in quick with even numbers.

Sometimes though there's the easiest 30m kick to a loose player at the 50m arc (will mark it 40m out if the kick follows them streaming forward) and a lot of the time this will be an Edwards, Chesser or Hunt.

I'd love it if we could hit those kicks, set shots from 35-45m out if they take an uncontested mark.

Appreciate it's hard to do when all of the momentum is toward goal and Waterman's screaming for it but it would give us another scoring option.

TLDR; Wingers finding space in attack, we're not using them much in favour of getting it in to one on one contests.

We've got a well weighted number of under 50 games players at the moment.

Hough, Reid, Ginbey, J Williams, Maric, Chesser, Edwards, Dewar.

I reckon 8 is our tipping point.

Of the 8 spots, the first 6 are locks. It is Edwards and Dewar as the two on the cusp.

Now only Hewett and Long sit on the injury list as types that would push as locks if fit. Long out for season. Hewett may get a run in last 2 months.

Brockman is the other obvious to put pressure on spots.

So Chesser should be secure for a while and any upward pressure from WAFL performances would see Edwards or Dewar go back to the 2nds.

I've had a ticket on the Chesser train for a while, i've just enquired about upgrading to the first class lounge becuase the train is about to get crowded.

SHowing all the signs you'd hope for.
1716162470043.png

If you delete his two stinkers agains the Dogs and Sydney he's averaging 8.1375 rating points. Which puts him in the following territory for 19-22 year olds. Not bad for someone who has missed so much football and development.
1716162694331.png

Last edited:
Impressed by his game. Again not massive numbers, but that is a trend for our wingers. Was nice to see him get some exposure inside the game. Two fumbles, but other than that can't fault his output. His composure by hand was good to see, especially the handball to waterman to set up his snap goal.

I would like to see him get more hungry to get the pill in transition. Often runs past the player with the ball and seems to be in a good position but doesn't look like he is demanding the ball. Getting that confidence to call for it and use his pace to break away is the next step.

Impressed by his game. Again not massive numbers, but that is a trend for our wingers. Was nice to see him get some exposure inside the game. Two fumbles, but other than that can't fault his output. His composure by hand was good to see, especially the handball to waterman to set up his snap goal.

I would like to see him get more hungry to get the pill in transition. Often runs past the player with the ball and seems to be in a good position but doesn't look like he is demanding the ball. Getting that confidence to call for it and use his pace to break away is the next step.

Chess is pretty bloody quick but seems hesitant to use it, maybe a lack of confidence in takin on the opposition. There was one passage yesterday where he was the outlet around centre wing. He took the first 5 or 6 steps and then he assessed he had space to keep running and it was like he came up on boost and really got moving. It was really notable change in velocity.

If he can work out how to disengage the mental handbrake, look out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon he'll be a useful player who has a role in a team, will play a lot of games, but might not be the player that's at the top of the tree.

Let's say that Reid, Ginbey and Hewett become the equivalents of Judd, Kerr, Cousins, then Chesser will be your Michael Braun, Rowan Jones, Tyson Stenglein or Chad Fletcher who flesh out the team and fill important roles. Still very good players who are essential if you're to get anywhere.

I have noticed at times we completely pass our wingers when they're in miles of space at about 60-45m out, we'll just go long to a contest that's even numbers.

Waterman's making it look good and it can be the right option if it's done to advantage side. We're getting it in quick with even numbers.

Sometimes though there's the easiest 30m kick to a loose player at the 50m arc (will mark it 40m out if the kick follows them streaming forward) and a lot of the time this will be an Edwards, Chesser or Hunt.

I'd love it if we could hit those kicks, set shots from 35-45m out if they take an uncontested mark.

Appreciate it's hard to do when all of the momentum is toward goal and Waterman's screaming for it but it would give us another scoring option.

TLDR; Wingers finding space in attack, we're not using them much in favour of getting it in to one on one contests.

This lack of vision entering the fwdline always piss me off especially when the opposition just quickly rebounds the ball..

Keep up the good work and hard running Chess it will click one day ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’ve been hard on Chesser but this year it seems like our wingers don’t rack up disposal numbers. Hunts numbers down, LEdwards and Ginbey can’t find it out there either.

It's not just Chesser or the Eagles. The meta has shifted, it's fast, attacking, corridor footy. Barely any high possession wingers out there at the moment, it's all about the engine room generating clearances and repeat entries.

Unless you're Ross Lyon I guess.

Chess is pretty bloody quick but seems hesitant to use it, maybe a lack of confidence in takin on the opposition. There was one passage yesterday where he was the outlet around centre wing. He took the first 5 or 6 steps and then he assessed he had space to keep running and it was like he came up on boost and really got moving. It was really notable change in velocity.

If he can work out how to disengage the mental handbrake, look out.
Didn’t look that quick failing to chase Gawn as he loped into the forward 50.

Unsure about his supposed pace, but he’s making better decisions in tight and looking solid

i wish people would be less critical of him. Has had a very injury interrupted start to his Afl career and i think he will turn out a solid player for us.

Same. Feels reminiscent of the criticism Brad Sheppard copped early on in his career, mostly because of the pick that he was drafted at (and fact we could have taken Fyfe).

If we have a player of Sheppard's caliber with Chesser, I think we've done alright.

This is an astute pick up.

If it's consistently happening like you say, it's more than likely a coaching/strategy directive to ignore that 30m kick and get it into the forwards as a priority. Thus, they must have data to support the non 30m spot up kick.

I'd say we have structured the forward line a ceratain way that perhaps if we take that short 30m kick the forwards are out of place? Or you are increasing the chance of a turnover the more you dispose of the ball? Or possibly the extra 5 seconds to kick it short allows for the opposition to employ better defensive mechanisms?

For mine I'd like to always use the loose man going forward and create the outnumber. And I would know best as I've read Art of War.

This is an astute pick up.

If it's consistently happening like you say, it's more than likely a coaching/strategy directive to ignore that 30m kick and get it into the forwards as a priority. Thus, they must have data to support the non 30m spot up kick.

I'd say we have structured the forward line a ceratain way that perhaps if we take that short 30m kick the forwards are out of place? Or you are increasing the chance of a turnover the more you dispose of the ball? Or possibly the extra 5 seconds to kick it short allows for the opposition to employ better defensive mechanisms?

For mine I'd like to always use the loose man going forward and create the outnumber. And I would know best as I've read Art of War.
Having not read Art of War I am not sure I'm worthy or replying, but here goes.

I do believe they want to go long if it's a 1v1 or 2v2, but it also depends on the player. Duggan's going long, he's good at getting depth to the forwards advantage if they're out the back.

Whereas Liam Ryan will spot these guys up, he's less invested in forward momentum even when at full tilt he sees the whole field as an option, doesn't care who the player is he'll kick to the best positioned Eagles jumper.

We don't have many who won't go long, Ryan's the only one I could think of, perhaps Maric or Long would be more likely to hit a loose player instead of be drawn to full forwards who aren't actually in the clear. Maybe Cripps as well as he's often in that position as well so probably understands there's people open, he sometimes pulls kicks instead of long to the goal square.

My biggest gripe is that a lot of players don't even look, the wingers won't be spotted unless they're right in front of the kicker in which case they're in the way of Snake or Darling.

But if it's even numbers and you want territory, even numbers long kicks are good if they come quick, guaranteed a contest and then just need to try lock it in if it hits the deck.

Having not read Art of War I am not sure I'm worthy or replying, but here goes.

I do believe they want to go long if it's a 1v1 or 2v2, but it also depends on the player. Duggan's going long, he's good at getting depth to the forwards advantage if they're out the back.

Whereas Liam Ryan will spot these guys up, he's less invested in forward momentum even when at full tilt he sees the whole field as an option, doesn't care who the player is he'll kick to the best positioned Eagles jumper.

We don't have many who won't go long, Ryan's the only one I could think of, perhaps Maric or Long would be more likely to hit a loose player instead of be drawn to full forwards who aren't actually in the clear. Maybe Cripps as well as he's often in that position as well so probably understands there's people open, he sometimes pulls kicks instead of long to the goal square.

My biggest gripe is that a lot of players don't even look, the wingers won't be spotted unless they're right in front of the kicker in which case they're in the way of Snake or Darling.

But if it's even numbers and you want territory, even numbers long kicks are good if they come quick, guaranteed a contest and then just need to try lock it in if it hits the deck.
Great context with this reply. Yes the player with the balls kicking strength and skill will determine the choice of target.

But also as you have mentioned the players with good vision like Ryan and Cripps will hit up the best free option. Chesser doesnt seem to mark the ball alot and from the eye, most of the his possessions are from handball chain in transition. Definitelty something I'll be watching moving forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back