List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gawn and Petracca are two of the most genuinely nice guys from what i've seen off the field. Just seem genuine.
I dont mind Oliver either to be honest
Tholstrup has massive wraps on Oliver, reckons he’s been ever part of the mentor and senior clubman, but that’s for a different thread.

Not heaps to do with his mental fortitude I feel. Darling is just undersized for the position he is meant to play. Unless he is in perfect form he physically can’t beat most defenders.
JD has just been through two years where he has had no support , trying to lead a forward line devoid of numbers ,with a non existent midfield spraying the ball and virtually never going into a contest without being double teamed .
He’s needed broad shoulders!
Maybe now he’s starting to get a bit of joy back in playing footy! Yes he makes me want to tear my hair out at times, but he’s been a warrior and a great club servant!

He was always gonna be a complete midfielder.
Never bought the crap from all his detractors attempting to downplay the hype.
There was never an alternative if you held the first pick.
No number of players from splitting were ever gonna equal him.
Maybe not now but if McKercher and Duursma become top line players (even if they're both at North), it will be an interesting debate. Not that North were ever offering 2 and 3 for Reid anyway.

Gawn and Petracca are two of the most genuinely nice guys from what i've seen off the field. Just seem genuine.
I dont mind Oliver either to be honest

The first two everyone says nice things about them and they both seem genuinely decent guys.

The latter - eh, the Melbourne police might have an alternative viewpoint.

Not sure if posted here but afl.com.au has a montage of the best moments:

One little thing in the double fend of Petracca/Oliver is he then goes backwards to check if Oliver is there to tackle (& likely receive another don't argue.
Crazy footy awareness/IQ/confidence.
Most players would put it straight to boot.
Bruce McAvaney would love to still be commentating with this special talent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The video in the article should have a nsfw warning ‘cause damn boy 🍆
lol I’m glad he plays for us because it would be bloody annoying to be an opposition fan with all this media hype. People thought Nic Natmania was bad!

My favourite isn't even a fend off, it's the one at 01:49 on the boundary. Doesn't plant his feet and get toppled over, goes a tiny bit with the tackle before he plants his feet wide of the boundary and the tackle falls away.

Now that we’ve had Harley’s double fend-off a couple of times, I am looking forward to a triple fend-off in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Teams and midfielders will be working on the 'Harley counter-fend off technique'.
Be curious to see how that pans out over the coming games.
It will backfire on him (spectacularly?) at some stage, and whoever does it will get equal publicity, as Yeo did when he broke Dusty's fend-off.
But it won't stop Harley of course, he'll learn from it and adjust.
Other players are polishing up on their fend-offs, it's always been around, but now come into focus as an effective tactic for gaining space and time..
The Crows are waiting for their turn... ((;

Last edited:
Teams and midfielders will be working on the 'Harley counter-fend off technique'.
Be curious to see how that pans out over the coming games.
It will backfire on him (spectacularly?) at some stage, and whoever does it will get equal publicity, as Yeo did when he broke Dusty's fend-off.
But it won't stop Harley, he'll learn from it and move on I imagine.
The Crows are waiting for their turn... ((;
Hope coaches tell players to give up and just tackle Harley at the hips.

Other players have tackled Harley pretty sure it happened with sereong tackling Harley

Last edited:
Nic Nat never had this much attention early in his career. Might be because Harley’s Victorian that propels it somewhat
From memory Nic Nat's second game was in pouring rain against the reiging champs where he kicked 3 goals and won the game for West Coast. He got nomination for goal of the week that round. Didn't he also get a nomination for mark of the week in his first game?

There was a lot of hype, but the nature of bigmen is that they start a bit slower than ready made midfielders.

Great article...he says it backfired once and he got an injured leg from it...amazing the amount of practise he put into it, palming off heavy medicine balls! He has entered the arena fully versed and dedicated to his craft!

Hope coaches tell players to give up and just tackle Harley at the hips. Pretty sure it happened with sereong tackling Harley
Not sure if it's the same instance on the wing, pretty sure Serong did what Yeo did to Dusty with a slap down of the hand, held back, knocked the arm down and took him over the boundary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back