Coach Luke Kelly - Midfield Development Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Kelly with experience at GWS and Western Bulldogs will support Brett Montgomery in his new midfield coaching portfolio.

“Luke brings with him a background in analysis and worked with the Western Bulldogs in their premiership year in 2016, followed by the last three seasons at the GIANTS. Luke was awarded the prestigious Phil Walsh scholarship in 2020 as the industry’s best emerging development coach and this season was promoted as coach of the GIANTS VFL side.

“As a club, we welcome Luke and we are very enthused with the point of difference he will bring to our coaching group.

TazD

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 29, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So Luke is an assistant assistant coach? I would also much prefer Bassett to coach the backs and Cornes the forwards.

Apr 7, 2013
Burn City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Luke Kelly with experience at GWS and Western Bulldogs will support Brett Montgomery in his new midfield coaching portfolio.

“Luke brings with him a background in analysis and worked with the Western Bulldogs in their premiership year in 2016, followed by the last three seasons at the GIANTS. Luke was awarded the prestigious Phil Walsh scholarship in 2020 as the industry’s best emerging development coach and this season was promoted as coach of the GIANTS VFL side.

“As a club, we welcome Luke and we are very enthused with the point of difference he will bring to our coaching group.
I resent our media guys for capitalising GIANTS like their dumb as dogshit style guide asks for

Otherwise, cool! Good luck Luke

jabba5114

Premiership Player
Jan 23, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ok never heard of him. Not sure why Montgomery needs an assistant and no one else though

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Ok never heard of him. Not sure why Montgomery needs an assistant and no one else though

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Lokan is forwards development as well, Hentschel Goldsack defence development.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I can only assume from his quick progression from completing his studies to working in the AFL industry, that he must be good at what he does.

2010, completes his Bachelor degree in Sports and Exercise Science.

2012, employed by the Dogs as an analyst.

Not to many seem to come from outside the AFL environment or make the jump that quick. So he’s either very good at what he does, or we’re scrapping the barrel.

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Iwish

XUS NEK
Apr 22, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I like the fact Monty gets a 2ic, as I think Monty will be needed to do some senior assistant duties as well with voss gone.

From the AFL Record Season Guide books. He went to GWS after Bulldogs won the flag, but he didn't get a write up until 2019.

Joined the Giants ahead of the 2017 season after working as a football analyst at the Western Bulldogs for five years. A senior performance analyst at the club in 2017, he transitioned into a role as defensive co-ordinator in 2018 before joining the coaching staff as a defence coach ahead of the 2019 season.

Started as a senior performance analyst with the Giants having previously been in a similar role at the Western Bulldogs. In 2018, he operated as the club's defensive coordinator before working his way on to the senior coaching staff in 2019. Will serve as coach of the Giant's second tier team in 2021. [ think they only played 6 VFL games in 2021].

So after working for almost 5 yeas with Monty at the Bulldogs, as Monty was there from 2010 to mid 2016 when he had a dispute with Beveridge and quit as his senior assistant, they then linked up again when Monty was consulting to GWS in 2017 and 2018, whilst Monty lived in Melbourne and was working with Melbourne Grammar those 2 years, before joining Port at end of 2018. Kelly is now Monty's right hand man in Port's midfield. Looks like this is Monty's pick / recommendation.

Last edited:

WillemDaDrew

Premium Gold
Feb 24, 2019
Coast Of Gold
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
lukee.jpg

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
From the AFL Record Season Guide books. He went to GWS after Bulldogs won the flag, but he didn't get a write up until 2019.

Joined the Giants ahead of the 2017 season after working as a football analyst at the Western Bulldogs for five years. A senior performance analyst at the club in 2017, he transitioned into a role as defensive co-ordinator in 2018 before joining the coaching staff as a defence coach ahead of the 2019 season.

Started as a senior performance analyst with the Giants having previously been in a similar role at the Western Bulldogs. in 2018, he operated as the club's defensive coordinator before working his way on to the senior coaching staff in 2019. Will serve as coach of the Giant's second tier team in 2021. [ think they only played 6 VFL games in 2021].

So after working for almost 5 yeas with Monty at the Bulldogs, as Monty was there from 2010 to mid 2016 when he had a dispute with Beveridge and quit as his senior assistant, they then linked up again when Monty was consulting to GWS in 2017 and 2018, whilst Monty lived in Melbourne and was working with Melbourne Grammar those 2 years before joining Port at end of 2018. Kelly is now Monty's right hand man in Port's midfield. Looks like this is Monty's pick / recommendation.
Maybe he's Monty's tactical guy for when he transitions to senior coach in 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back