Player Watch Ben Keays - Signs on til 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd love him to get a right side over the summer. Could be a genuine A-grader.

You need to have a right side to be an A-Grader? He's an A-Grader already.

Prolific ball winner, two-way runner, hits the scoreboard.....not sure what everyone is waiting on, he's a brilliant footballer

Had been a great pick-up. Has areas of his game that need to improve but so do most players.

Interesting we only have him two years. That's a short contract for a best 22 player by today's standards.

You need to have a right side to be an A-Grader? He's an A-Grader already.

Prolific ball winner, two-way runner, hits the scoreboard.....not sure what everyone is waiting on, he's a brilliant footballer

he's no a-grader. If he is it means we've got a midfield full of a-graders whilst somehow having one of the worst groups in the comp.

Last edited:

Had been a great pick-up. Has areas of his game that need to improve but so do most players.

Interesting we only have him two years. That's a short contract for a best 22 player by today's standards.
It was a 2 yr extension .....he's now contracted till 2024

he's no a-grader. If he is it means we've got a midfield full of a-graders whilst somehow having one of the worst groups in the comp.

I love the way Keays goes about it. If our whole side had his work rate and dedication we'd be going great guns.

Anyone with two eyes can see he's severely limited on his right hand side which at times can be a detriment.

Yep… he, sloane and laird are b-graders that just happen to get a hell of a lot of the football (upwards of 90 possessions a game) as our main go to midfield trio.

if these guys were actual “a-graders”, given the amount of times they get the footy, the Adelaide football club wouldnt have come bottom 4 the last two years in a row.

not a “damaging to the opposition” bone among em…

love his effort and endevour and great to see he’s been rewarded with another couple of years..relieved to see the club didnt give him a Laird-type 5 year contract and they clearly havent because they know theres far too much risk invloved in that.

the trio needs to be broken up and more of their time in the middle given to the likes of Pedlar, Shoey, Berry, our 2021 1st rounder.. starting round 1 next year.

I love the way Keays goes about it. If our whole side had his work rate and dedication we'd be going great guns.

Anyone with two eyes can see he's severely limited on his right hand side which at times can be a detriment.

He's a flat knacker type, that's not in doubt. Reminds me of a male version of Ebony Marinoff. Get heaps of the pill, do everything at full pace, pure effort and nearly always fail to steady and attempt to overkick when disposing by foot which limits their effectiveness.

Yep… he, sloane and laird are b-graders that just happen to get a hell of a lot of the football (upwards of 90 possessions a game) as our main go to midfield trio.

if these guys were actual “a-graders”, given the amount of times they get the footy, the Adelaide football club wouldnt have come bottom 4 the last two years in a row.

not a “damaging to the opposition” bone among em…

love his effort and endevour and great to see he’s been rewarded with another couple of years..relieved to see the club didnt give him a Laird-type 5 year contract and they clearly havent because they know theres far too much risk invloved in that.

the trio needs to be broken up and more of their time in the middle given to the likes of Pedlar, Shoey, Berry, our 2021 1st rounder.. starting round 1 next year.

They crack big numbers because they play 80%+ in the stoppage rotation with a junior mid covering the missing time. We regularly have 2 of the highest possession winners on the ground but the only defence our midfield causes damage to is our own. Each of them would get a gig in nearly all other midfields, but as a group they're bottom of the barrel. Hopefully 2022 is the year we bin the 4 man midfield strategy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even in my bias I agree he's not A grade, I probably sit somewhere in the middle if we consider your opinion vs some of the more optimistic ones. I think you underestimate his ability to hit the scoreboard. That's where the damage could be done especially as the confidence started to grow in that area back half of the year. He played a lot of forward in juniors and kicked nearly 50 goals in his last year in the Lions NEAFL. I also think he'd be even better with a classier type next to him, like Wines said in his Brownlow speech about how things changed when he wasn't the one trying to deliver the ball.

Even in my bias I agree he's not A grade, I probably sit somewhere in the middle if we consider your opinion vs some of the more optimistic ones. I think you underestimate his ability to hit the scoreboard. That's where the damage could be done especially as the confidence started to grow in that area back half of the year. He played a lot of forward in juniors and kicked nearly 50 goals in his last year in the Lions NEAFL. I also think he'd be even better with a classier type next to him, like Wines said in his Brownlow speech about how things changed when he wasn't the one trying to deliver the ball.

I reckon changing out some midfield minutes for forward minutes will make him a more valuable player. Some players don't have flaws in their foot disposal when removing the moving target and depth requirements of field kicking. Reckon he'd be a good chance to be a 2 goal per game mid/half forward. Our issue is that we seem to have a deliberate strategy to run only a 4 man midfield. Hopefully that is something that is something that changes next year and we see Laird, Ben and Sloane rotating through other roles.

Nah, he's a dead set gun.

over the last two seasons, Ben without doubt has been our most influential and damaging midfielder. the way he can find a path through traffic and use the ball is elite. He would probably be in the top bracket of players able to navigate heavy traffic in the comp. It begs the question about Brisbane's development strategy and why they didn't give him a go. Ben would make every AFL teams best 22 right now.

I mean, is there anything wrong with not being an A grader? I don't consider Richard Douglas an A grader and he played some terrific football for us, won a B&F and would have played 250 games for us if not for injuries.

You'll never have a team full of A graders and at the end of the day if Keays is the worst midfielder we have in our starting 22 I think we'll be doing well.

over the last two seasons, Ben without doubt has been our most influential and damaging midfielder. the way he can find a path through traffic and use the ball is elite. He would probably be in the top bracket of players able to navigate heavy traffic in the comp. It begs the question about Brisbane's development strategy and why they didn't give him a go. Ben would make every AFL teams best 22 right now.

The most likely answer here is just had enough talent on their list that needed to be prioritised over Keays.

Us, North, Hawks will likely end up in a similar situation with our current gens. Eventually you don't have the midfield, or key position spots for the players you have.

elite ball use? shark has been jumped. And what of ours, we gave Lyons away for fringe mid rates.

I mean, is there anything wrong with not being an A grader? I don't consider Richard Douglas an A grader and he played some terrific football for us, won a B&F and would have played 250 games for us if not for injuries.

You'll never have a team full of A graders and at the end of the day if Keays is the worst midfielder we have in our starting 22 I think we'll be doing well.

Given the above is true, you'd wonder why people would feel the need to incorrectly label him as an a grader.

Ben has some elite qualities but not enough to be considered an elite player. Super happy with his extension though because he'll help guide our midfield in the coming years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back