Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear!

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously, seriously impressed.

He's also earning his opportunities and goals with excellent body work, grabs etc. - not getting many Joe the Gooses like a lot of KPF early in their career.

His composure to be a main target as an 18yo playing AFL is crazy, kid could be anything.

Once Lewis and Chol are together, we can send Dear behind the ball.

We have our CHB ;)

Seriously, I reckon he would shine roaming and intercepting off the backline. He just has it

Don't do it, we'll have MCcabe in the second half of the year to do that. Keep developing Calsher as a KPF

Key forwards these days are generally eased into the side playing 3rd or even 4th target, often for a full season or so.

Calsher was asked to play as the main target from his very first game. And this still at only 18 years and physically underdeveloped.

It's quite extraordinary how seamlessly he has taken to the role and how well he has played.

Once Lewis and Chol are together, we can send Dear behind the ball.

We have our CHB ;)

Seriously, I reckon he would shine roaming and intercepting off the backline. He just has it

I've been thinking he has the tools to become a quality CHB. Not that I'd want him moved there, as IMO a potential long term KPF is the biggest need on the list.

But at least he may have a fall-back option if he struggles.

Key forwards these days are generally eased into the side playing 3rd or even 4th target, often for a full season or so.

Calsher was asked to play as the main target from his very first game. And this still at only 18 years and physically underdeveloped.

It's quite extraordinary how seamlessly he has taken to the role and how well he has played.
Dear has been excellent.
Roughead also lined up as a KPF on his debut and I distinctly recall him and Buddy as the 2 KP forwards against Brisbane in Roughead's second game.

It stays in my memory bc the defenders got a surprise when they tried to get physical with Roughead and he put one of them down in a wrestle.

I've been thinking he has the tools to become a quality CHB. Not that I'd want him moved there, as IMO a potential long term KPF is the biggest need on the list.

But at least he may have a fall-back option if he struggles.
It is far easier to find someone who can play in defence than it is to find someone who can play as a proper forward.
I hope we don't mess with Dear and just play him forward.

It is far easier to find someone who can play in defence than it is to find someone who can play as a proper forward.
I hope we don't mess with Dear and just play him forward.

Yeah I agree, like I said I'm not advocating for him to be moved into defence - I just believe that he has all the tools needed to become a gun CHB. If in a few years he's struggling to establish himself as a KPF then I imagine a move to CHB could be on the cards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes but his bicep is only 2 Pittonethands© in circumference.

©NedRyderson.

Pitto likes this

scary movie 2 hand GIF

Hate to bring the hand debate back on to this board, but no small wonder Calsh is an elite mark of the footy. Have a squizz at these mitts. He has half the social media guy's forearm.

View attachment 2002630
He's developed his body a lot since this was taken, wow. In 2 years the kid will be a monster at this rate.

His contest on the wing where he flew for the ball in a pack, was the person to crumb his own marking attempt and then follow up immediately with two tackles to end up winning a holding the ball free for the team was amazing, utterly amazing.
9:44 left in the third.

Last edited:
I remember asking someone in here (I think Strapping Young Lad) what the chances of us drafting up Calsher as a FS around about this time last year and the answer was that it wasn't looking good for the kid. Either we told him to hit cruise control because we were going to select him or the more likely in that he's put in a dramatic amount of work and the rapid improvement is staring to show.

As I said in another post I was one of the ones that thought a debut this season was slim and I'm happy to have been wrong. So happy for the kid and all his family especially his old fella watching him from above.

I remember asking someone in here (I think Strapping Young Lad) what the chances of us drafting up Calsher as a FS around about this time last year and the answer was that it wasn't looking good for the kid. Either we told him to hit cruise control because we were going to select him or the more likely in that he's put in a dramatic amount of work and the rapid improvement is staring to show.

As I said in another post I was one of the ones that thought a debut this season was slim and I'm happy to have been wrong. So happy for the kid and all his family especially his old fella watching him from above.

I believe Calsher was missed as he was away from sport spending more time with his ill dad.

I was a Calsher fan pre AFL days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back