Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm baffled about comments like this. If you really were 'into bat' defending this trade you'd realise that 9 games is a horrible sample size to judge the quality of the trade on.

Players are investments, it takes some time to get to know your new team, new structures and new workplace. It's been a poor start sure, but it's pretty par for the course for most new blokes at the club.

I did say it was only early days but the trade was a short term view by the club, we traded away two likely 10 year + players for 5 years of football from Chad, so naturally we're expecting better results in the short term.

I did say it was only early days but the trade was a short term view by the club, we traded away two likely 10 year + players for 5 years of football from Chad, so naturally we're expecting better results in the short term.

we are around 10 games into a possible 100-120 approx game career at the Hawks and we've got 1 good performance so far, it makes sense people are concerned.

we are around 10 games into a possible 100-120 approx game career at the Hawks and we've got 1 good performance so far, it makes sense people are concerned.
Silk at game 10? into the season given he missed with injury broken jaw?

See comments like this are utter crap. Of course something looks bad if you create a strawman like the one you have. Burton could reinjure his knee tomorrow and spend the next 18-24 months recovering and never coming back the same. Duursma could become an average at best player who gets delisted after a few years. Wingard is going to retire at 31 now is he? Well sure - but players tend to have better longevity these days. When you want to deliberately skew all the facts to support your negative argument then anything is going to look bad.

See comments like this are utter crap. Of course something looks bad if you create a strawman like the one you have. Burton could reinjure his knee tomorrow and spend the next 18-24 months recovering and never coming back the same. Duursma could become an average at best player who gets delisted after a few years. Wingard is going to retire at 31 now is he? Well sure - but players tend to have better longevity these days. When you want to deliberately skew all the facts to support your negative argument then anything is going to look bad.

1. Very unlikely he's going to suffer a horrific leg break again.

2. Duursma is already an average AFL player at 18, so it's unlikely this is his level for his whole career.

3. Every chance Chad retires at 31, doesn't have a great work ethic and as he's said himself his passion for the game isn't the same as most players.

I think our hope is we do really well this off season, build a team that can win a flag in the next 3 years and Chad plays a huge part in us doing that.

Last edited:
Silk at game 10? into the season given he missed with injury broken jaw?

Not very trade is going to have the same glorious outcome like Burgoyne did, not every player has the dedication and desire to their preparation and longevity as Burgoyne does.

1. Very unlikely he's going to suffer a horrific leg break again.

2. Duursma is already an average AFL player at 18, so it's unlikely this is his level for his whole career.

3. Every chance Chad retires at 31, doesn't have a great work ethic and as he's said himseld his passion for the game isn't the same as most players.

I think our hope is we do really well this off season, build a team that can win a flag in the next 3 years and Chad plays a huge part in us doing that.

So your speculative arguments are near certainties. Cool stuff. Because players never get injured and players never have fade-outs from a decent first year. I should know better than to doubt your bulletproof clairvoyance. I wouldn't mind the Oz Lotto numbers for next week while you're at it.

It's much too early days to call this trade a failure or a success, however I will say at Chad's age profile he has been recruited for immediate impact - apart from a couple of quarters vs Kangaroos and flashes in a couple of other games he has so far been very underwhelming so it is no surprise some supporters are questioning his recruitment...

I doubt youd find too many Dogs supporters over the age of 50 who would say Boyd was a bad deal. Even age 40.

He was the clear NS winner that day too. Totally robbed by idiots who only look at stats.
I don't think he deserved the NS. He kicked 3 goals and didn't really do a whole lot else. I'd have him behind JJ, Bont and even Kennedy. He had his best game but not the best game. For his salary, you really want more than one good game, even if it is a grand final. Boyd didn't win them a premiership, he just helped them win the last match in the journey. Did absolutely * all for the rest of that journey.

Burton is out with a Hammy, he won't play next week against us for Port, but Chad might just play for us.....

Does this mean we win the trade now?
Couldn't give two shits about winning the trade.

Winning flags I care about, Chad has plenty of time to help with that, you don't win flags in May.

We had a gaping hole in our front half of the ground left by Rioli retiring, Chad isn't Sizzle but he certainly has the ability to be an elite match winner for us.

Getting your hands on a bloke with that talent in his prime costs, club saw an opportunity to get him which would help them stick to their general plan for the rebuild on the run.

I have no issue with them pulling the trigger on that trade, people can whine and moan that it's not paying off quick enough all they want, doesn't change anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Winning flags I care about, Chad has plenty of time to help with that, you don't win flags in May.

We had a gaping hole in our front half of the ground left by Rioli retiring, Chad isn't Sizzle but he certainly has the ability to be an elite match winner for us.

Getting your hands on a bloke with that talent in his prime costs, club saw an opportunity to get him which would help them stick to their general plan for the rebuild on the run.

I have no issue with them pulling the trigger on that trade, people can whine and moan that it's not paying off quick enough all they want, doesn't change anything
Geez I would have thought discussing footy included, moaning, whinging, rejoicing, ranting, celebrating, throwing things, hugging random fellow supporters, singing club songs, yelling at refs, bagging other clubs etc etc. None of it changes much. If people are not happy with trade so what.

Alot of talk in hindsight but when a trade is made it is for the now and the best value at that time. Wingard will be seriously valuable to the team for the long term and if fingers crossed we can make finals which needs alot to go our way he is ready to turn a finals Game on its head.

I think some understimate the significant fitness levels required to play in 2019.

It's much too early days to call this trade a failure or a success, however I will say at Chad's age profile he has been recruited for immediate impact - apart from a couple of quarters vs Kangaroos and flashes in a couple of other games he has so far been very underwhelming so it is no surprise some supporters are questioning his recruitment...

He's also playing in a really tricky role to get fluency in.

It's simple to come into a side and excel as a midfielder, you do what you know. Get ball, distribute ball.

Wingard is being asked to play as a small forward which is arguably the trickiest role to play in the AFL, given the structures and the fact that your output is heavily impacted by people up the field.

Frawley missed 7 games in his first year and was average more often than not. Lake started in the VFL and sputtered along, his first legitimately good game was the GF. Burgoyne, as mentioned before, was out of the side more than he was in it. Gibson played 12 games and struggled.

Plenty of forwards for the Hawks who know the system are struggling to impact, can't blame nor judge Chad for his struggles so far.

He's also playing in a really tricky role to get fluency in.

It's simple to come into a side and excel as a midfielder, you do what you know. Get ball, distribute ball.

Wingard is being asked to play as a small forward which is arguably the trickiest role to play in the AFL, given the structures and the fact that your output is heavily impacted by people up the field.

Frawley missed 7 games in his first year and was average more often than not. Lake started in the VFL and sputtered along, his first legitimately good game was the GF. Burgoyne, as mentioned before, was out of the side more than he was in it. Gibson played 12 games and struggled.

Plenty of forwards for the Hawks who know the system are struggling to impact, can't blame nor judge Chad for his struggles so far.

Hahaha that's a load of crap.

I have no issue with them pulling the trigger on that trade, people can whine and moan that it's not paying off quick enough all they want, doesn't change anything.

Well I was being facetious. Agreed none the less.

Geez I would have thought discussing footy included, moaning, whinging, rejoicing, ranting, celebrating, throwing things, hugging random fellow supporters, singing club songs, yelling at refs, bagging other clubs etc etc. None of it changes much. If people are not happy with trade so what.
In the past 10 years we've had the same sort of whinging and trying to value the trade over the first 3 months of a season with basically everyone traded in.

I get people want results now but the weekly OMGs Burton had two more kicks that Chad we lost the trade crap is just that crap.

Clubs get picks and trades wrong all the time. You also can't determine the value to your club 8 weeks into a season but people have been doing it since the minute the trade happened.

Burton would be playing the same role as Scrmshaw, not the same role as Chad. So based on what I've seen from Burton this year and what I've seen from Scrimshaw I'm not really seeing what we've lost from our best 22 by letting Ryan go home.

Like I said before you don't get a player of Chad's talent in his prime via trade cheap. He was always going to cost,but you don't pay the price for the opening few rounds of the first season, you pay the price for what you think you are going to get from him over his entire time at the club.

So yeah people can keep whinging that we paid too much, they can keep jumping the gun and they will continue to get other posters ask them to exercise a little restraint and patience.

Well I was being facetious. Agreed none the less.
I know mate all good

I don't think he deserved the NS. He kicked 3 goals and didn't really do a whole lot else. I'd have him behind JJ, Bont and even Kennedy. He had his best game but not the best game. For his salary, you really want more than one good game, even if it is a grand final. Boyd didn't win them a premiership, he just helped them win the last match in the journey. Did absolutely **** all for the rest of that journey.
Boyd retiring now swings it back in favour of worth it. Gives up 2 and a half years pay that they can now use. Had he stayed and played VFL till end of 2021 for a Million a season it would ruin their list. Now they can use that cash to get whatever they think they need and stay in with a chance while their core 2016 group (bont, libba, daniel, jj etc) are still playing well.

In the past 10 years we've had the same sort of whinging and trying to value the trade over the first 3 months of a season with basically everyone traded in.

I get people want results now but the weekly OMGs Burton had two more kicks that Chad we lost the trade crap is just that crap.

Clubs get picks and trades wrong all the time. You also can't determine the value to your club 8 weeks into a season but people have been doing it since the minute the trade happened.

Burton would be playing the same role as Scrmshaw, not the same role as Chad. So based on what I've seen from Burton this year and what I've seen from Scrimshaw I'm not really seeing what we've lost from our best 22 by letting Ryan go home.

Like I said before you don't get a player of Chad's talent in his prime via trade cheap. He was always going to cost,but you don't pay the price for the opening few rounds of the first season, you pay the price for what you think you are going to get from him over his entire time at the club.

So yeah people can keep whinging that we paid too much, they can keep jumping the gun and they will continue to get other posters ask them to exercise a little restraint and patience.

I know mate all good
I agree. Still dont know why people get up in arms about it.

Really?? Why else would Port Adelaide be so eager to offload such a prodigiously talented player ? - it’s clearly not because he can’t play!

Why are so many people in friggin denial of the pretty obvious fact there something amiss with wingards attitude??

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck - you know the rest...
Says our game plan is boring and glasses women?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back