Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

From the outside looking in he doesn't seem fully committed to the job, which is pretty poor after moving to a new club.
sorry for the intrusion, just checked Wingards stats as I didn’t get a chance to watch the hawthorn game and wondered what happened to him.

I think find that your comment was a lot of port supporters main issue with Chad, has all the talent in the world but just doesn’t look like he has the passion to play AFL, often at port he would lot disinterested and play for free kicks which was frustrating. I believe he does care, surely... just doesn’t handle himself or perhaps has the passion as a Luke Hodge does/has

Never really has been injury prone though which is strange

He is going through a rough patch now but he will come good, even his worst at port wasn’t that bad, he is a quality player.

It will be a rare win win for both clubs with Burton and Duursma looking great at port.

The season from hell for Chad, he managed to play 149 games in 7 seasons at Port Adelaide and he'll miss a minimum of 8 in his first season in the brown and gold.

The season from hell for Chad, he managed to play 149 games in 7 seasons at Port Adelaide and he'll miss a minimum of 8 in his first season in the brown and gold.
Had calf issues at Port too didn't he?

Looks like a regular hammy from the latest injury. Probably from being underdone.

Looks like a regular hammy from the latest injury. Probably from being underdone.

He did have some calf issues at Port, but sadly he's never come close to the amount of footy he's missed this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't really care that we lost Burton. Crimmins medal says it all really. Have heard some first person reports of how much a tosser he was as well. Especially with how his attitude was when he was dropped to Box Hill

I always want to like Hawks players as people, but the few videos of Burton, especially the cafe series last year, left me with little feeling for him. I just thought, he is young, he can grow.

And then there was unsubstantiated talk of the contract negotiation with him not going as planned by the club. Not sure if this is true. My worry with Burton was whether he could handle being a role player, and not being one of the high paid players within the club. I don't think he will ever be a top 10 player at his club, in terms of pay scale. He may just sneak in.

Like alot of folks on here, I have read/heard alot of "noise" around RB (both his character and the way that trade to PA transpired). Even the week of the trade, Jason Cripps sent mixed messages about who raised the prospect of trade in the first place (PA or Hawks). Maybe none of it is true? I am not well-connected and dont have any inside information. So I dont know. But I am happy to believe he ended up where he belongs.

I am also happy we took our chance on Wingard - there is still plenty of time for this one to work for us, and there are a few positives already. I think the fact he came over and did Kokoda straight away was great. He does look great in the middle of the ground at times, even if he hasnt yet been the dangerous forward we might have liked for 2019. The fact he had an interrupted preseason leaves him susceptible to soft-tissue injuries, and also unlikely to be able to play too many minutes in the middle of the ground this year. We should not be too surprised by those realities.

To be honest, I dont see him doing anything amazing the rest of this year. Probably just play a few more games and get used to the Hawthorn way. But an off-season of fitness and conditioning, no distractions from trade-talk and transition like he experienced post 2018, and the guy could be a big plus for us in 2020.

Burton is going to be a gun. Simple. Great decision maker, great ball user, good hands and has added some toughness to his game this year. He may have been arrogant, but he was also 21 years of age at Hawthorn. People mature at that age. I didn't see anything on the field that suggested he wasn't willing to play his role. Last year, he even sacrificed his game to be more accountable.

If Burton is still on our list, we have the opportunity to release Sicily forward.

To everyone bagging the character of Ryan Burton, it is a pretty big contradiction when you are doing so in support of Chad Wingard. Wingard is too bloody temperamental for mine, and at 25 years of age who knows if the penny will drop for him. I'm really worried he want's it on his terms. His best form always coincided with Port Adelaide's best years.

I didn't see anything on the field that suggested he wasn't willing to play his role. L
The coaches who allocate roles, and then give votes according to how you have performed your role, may disagree with you.

The coaches who allocate roles, and then give votes according to how you have performed your role, may disagree with you.

It was his second full year yeah? Some players struggle second year, most important is he played every game. He couldn’t have been that disappointing.

It was his second full year yeah?
This would be taken into account.

And then the people who worked with him for two years, decided he was expendable.

Our opinions about what he was like are all well and good, but they really don't amount to a sack of s**t compared to those who actually know whats going on.

One day, we might find out the truth about Burton's character, Wingard's character, Burton's training, Wingard's training, etc etc

At the moment, we don't.The people with access to infinitely more info than us made the call, and they have actual reason, rather than speculation.

Yes, they may get it wrong from time to time, but time will eventually tell us.

PS I only have one genuine first hand contact, at a club, who is IN the recruiting department. As I have said elsewhere, Hawthorn actively BROUGHT Burton's name up in trade talks. There must be reason for this.

I can’t believe my eyes.

Does anyone here realise that soft tissue injuries are actually a very regular occurence when a player moves to a new club?

The difference in conditioning programs and game style between some clubs can put massive stress on players bodies and often leads to soft tissue injuries in the first season. Chad has been an unfortunate casualty of this well known fact amongst conditioning coaches.
The fact that Burton has also suffered a soft tissue injury also further supports the notion that Hawthorn and PA have quite different training regimes which is the cause of these injuries to both players.

For those of you who are questioning Chad’s “character” and “commitment” as the reason for his injuries, I ask you on what evidence are you drawing the conclusions that he has issues in these areas? And have your short term brains forgotten about a certain Hawks superstar named Cyril Rioli? Didn’t he also have issues with soft tissue injuries? Hmmm, how come I never heard anyone questioning Cyril’s character?

Cyril was not the hardest working player at Hawthorn, and likely Chad isn’t either. That is okay, not everyone can be TOM and JOM!!!!! It doesn’t mean they don’t work hard at all and that they don’t care. If anyone at Hawthorn was genuinely not meeting training standards, do you really think Clarko would stand for that? Come on guys.

I also don’t remeber anyone questioning Burgoyne’s, Frawley’s or Shiels’ character when they did soft tissue injuries earlier this year.

For those people who are trying to compare Chad and Scully, you need to get real. Scully is one of the most insane athletes that our game has ever seen.You surely cannot expect any other player to be biologically equal to him, it is just not realistic.

One final note. For those of you who are trying to say that Chad has had no positive influence on our season. How would you be feeling if we had lost to North and Carlton and were currently sitting 3-8?

Without Chad, that’s where we would be...

This man is a Hawthorn player now, it’s about time you started supporting him like a Hawthorn supporter.

This would be taken into account.

And then the people who worked with him for two years, decided he was expendable.

Our opinions about what he was like are all well and good, but they really don't amount to a sack of **** compared to those who actually know whats going on.

One day, we might find out the truth about Burton's character, Wingard's character, Burton's training, Wingard's training, etc etc

At the moment, we don't.The people with access to infinitely more info than us made the call, and they have actual reason, rather than speculation.

Yes, they may get it wrong from time to time, but time will eventually tell us.

PS I only have one genuine first hand contact, at a club, who is IN the recruiting department. As I have said elsewhere, Hawthorn actively BROUGHT Burton's name up in trade talks. There must be reason for this.

Sure time will tell. Not hanging the club if it’s a mistake. But for the same reasons you suggest Burton was expendable, Port fans share insights why Wingard was too.

A 21 year old is still immature. Not a 25 year old.

Wingard was recruited as a high impact superstar player with a contract to go with that profile. The club traded a young 200 gamer plus two high draft picks (first and second round picks). That is a big price for a player and as high a price that has been paid that I can recall in recent history. People rightly expect more than has been delivered to date. Obviously his ongoing injuries are a concern but he has also had little impact on the field thus far. People need to stop taking pot shots at Ryan Burton and his character because Wingard hasn't met those high expectations at this stage. By all accounts Burton was shattered at being traded and people just need to lay off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back