Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

His form is definitely messing with his head. It doesn't look like he is enjoying his footy at the moment - very much walking on eggshells.

If you watch his error late in the game against the Dogs which cost a goal, he dropped his head. Even post siren after the win, he had that look of resignation like he made "another" mistake.

Maybe there is a coaching adjustment that needs to be made. Give him a bit more license to be creative across half back, use his tank to advantage and put him in a position where he has a little more freedom.

No, never used the word "evidence".

😂😂 now who is acting like they’re in a courtroom. You’re arguing over semantics because you got caught out and made a bit of a wally of yourself. It’s fine man, just accept it - if you can present an opinion without any basis or ‘evidence’ then you can’t get shitty when someone has a contradictory opinion also without basis or ‘evidence’ to support it.

For what it’s worth - I think Ward will be a handy player. And he actually is blessed with some physical characteristics including outstanding fitness/work rate. Also I think he’s got a very good body type - he’s bulked up quite well and is only 20. He has the potential to be a very solid physical specimen. Already he’s very different to Morrison in that regard. Reckon it’s a bit between the ears with Wards - but physically, he’s fine.

😂😂 now who is acting like they’re in a courtroom. You’re arguing over semantics because you got caught out and made a bit of a wally of yourself. It’s fine man, just accept it - if you can present an opinion without any basis or ‘evidence’ then you can’t get shitty when someone has a contradictory opinion also without basis or ‘evidence’ to support it.

For what it’s worth - I think Ward will be a handy player. And he actually is blessed with some physical characteristics including outstanding fitness/work rate. Also I think he’s got a very good body type - he’s bulked up quite well and is only 20. He has the potential to be a very solid physical specimen. Already he’s very different to Morrison in that regard. Reckon it’s a bit between the ears with Wards - but physically, he’s fine.
We are giving our thoughts as to how good Ward may or may not be which l have already done. It's hardly evidence. Not shitty at all, just trying to extract a decent response to my original post.

What is the deal with the VFL fixturing these days?

Seems every fourth week there is a bye, makes it super hard for dropped players to find form when they aren't able to play at the lower level.
It's pathetic. Needs to be straightened out asap. VFL is more or less a development league now - constant disruptions are delaying player development.

It's pathetic. Needs to be straightened out asap. VFL is more or less a development league now - constant disruptions are delaying player development.
It's a side effect of incorporating the best sides from the NEAFL. It will only be resolved by absorbing the best clubs from the SANFL and WAFL and becoming a proper seconds league.

I think this is a very accurate and respectful assessment.
There are similarities between Ward and Morrison but there are also important differences. The most important is that Morrison has never had an inside game whereas Ward has. His inside game is limited t present because of his physical development - which means he is not ready to take on the mature bodies encountered in AFL rotations. A couple more seasons will change that and he will become the inside-out mid that Morrison will never be. I also think that Ward is a bit more creative by foot than Morrison was at the same age.

Overall, your honour, with the greatest of respect to my learned friend, I don't consider it to be a valid comparison.

People get jumped on if they suggest an early pick isn’t likely to be a star, which isn’t reasonable. I’m confident Ward will make it as a good long term player and person of great character at the club. Different style of player obviously, but a career more like Liam Shiels than Morrison is my expectation. I don’t regard the Sam Walsh superstar comparisons as plausible though.

Ward is like Morrison, they are both smart players but haven't been blessed with the physical attributes to be really good players.
Look at Morrison's agility testing in the draft. There's your evidence that you're wrong about him having no physical attributes.

People get jumped on if they suggest an early pick isn’t likely to be a star, which isn’t reasonable. I’m confident Ward will make it as a good long term player and person of great character at the club. Different style of player obviously, but a career more like Liam Shiels than Morrison is my expectation. I don’t regard the Sam Walsh superstar comparisons as plausible though.
No, people get jumped on when they write complete shit like "Ward doesn't have the physical attributes to be a really good player". It's a terrible opinion which has no factual base. It is entirely reasonable to call that out.

Ward may not become the super star that Walsh is, but that doesn't mean you can justify your view with any old BS.

And if you do put out such a throw away line, don't crack the shits when people disagree in the same manner.

I think it's really really important that Josh be given a run of say the last 8 games in the midfield mix at AFL level.

Tell him he's in unless injured or so badly out of form he needs a rest.

He's a good 'un but I think he is maybe a little gun-shy after getting KO'd and concussed in his early games.

Totally understandable, he's only a young kid still

A run of games should fix that right up, boost his confidence, accelerate his learning the craft and stand him in good stead for 2025.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's really really important that Josh be given a run of say the last 8 games in the midfield mix at AFL level.

Tell him he's in unless injured or so badly out of form he needs a rest.

He's a good 'un but I think he is maybe a little gun-shy after getting KO'd and concussed in his early games.

Totally understandable, he's only a young kid still

A run of games should fix that right up, boost his confidence, accelerate his learning the craft and stand him in good stead for 2025.
He is a really intelligent kid. His ATAR was 99+ and he is doing Laws and Politics, Philosophy and Economics double degree at Monash University (at a very slow pace due to footy).

I wouldn't blame him if he was second guessing the contact thinking about his future. There are plenty pathways to success.

Look at Morrison's agility testing in the draft. There's your evidence that you're wrong about him having no physical attributes.
Draft results can be a world apart from on field AFL match results. I'm still waiting for Morrison 7/8 years on. He did fill me with hope however in his first game against the Bulldogs (l think), his first half was exceptional. Thought we might have had a star in the making.

Ward is playing the game above his shoulders at the moment. He is very introspective and is probably pretty hard on himself. In his first couple of years he was getting a lot more ball. You can see he plays with stuff weighing him down. Just needs to free himself and believe. There is a lot of self doubt. He is still young. He will get through this. Probably his greatest strength is his greatest weakness. His meticulous preparation and planning for the game. It will come i have no doubt. Josh is not slow he is quite quick and he is also one of the fittest at the club. His body will grow into a inside weapon in the future.

He has been spending time learning to play outside and spread and then defend the ground for the last couple of years. Recently that has changed to have him focus on his inside ball. He actually knows our structures pretty well so does a lot of defending compared to others in the team. Needs to find the balance. It will come. Its a matter of time

TLDR: Be Patient

He is a really intelligent kid. His ATAR was 99+ and he is doing Laws and Politics, Philosophy and Economics double degree at Monash University (at a very slow pace due to footy).

I wouldn't blame him if he was second guessing the contact thinking about his future. There are plenty pathways to success.
Homer Simpson Nerd GIF

I think it would be a lovely dynamic for Crawf to mentor him. They have some similar experiences/approach already and if anything, Crawf could be a nice offset to what is playing on his mind.

I remember Tom Swift of the Eagles knocked back an AFL contract to go study medicine.

As an inside mid you really have to have the right mindset as it's brutal. Contest after contest you will be mentally and physically challenged. Worpel and Nash survive because they can do this. Ward has good skills but won't get more midfield minutes until he attacks the contest like Worpel and Nash. But as has been pointed out he is only 20 and hopefully will find his way eventually.

Ward is like Morrison, they are both smart players but haven't been blessed with the physical attributes to be really good players.
Lucky, I can see what you are saying.

He looks to have his limitations. Mainly his lack of physicality=strenght/power./size.

I think he has better speed than Morrison though.

He still has time to improve his game. We ALL hope he does.

He looks to have his limitations. Mainly his lack of physicality=strenght/power./size.

Correct on all counts Burger. My worry overall is we have too many small lightweight players in the team and they lack foot speed. Weddle who is maybe 6' 4" is maybe our quickest player.

Correct on all counts Burger. My worry overall is we have too many small lightweight players in the team and they lack foot speed. Weddle who is maybe 6' 4" is maybe our quickest player.
We have loads of pace in the team and on the list, just not in our midfield which is an area we are trying to address by targeting Baz.

Are we talking about the same Josh Ward????
As in, the one on Hawthorn's list?
Agree he doesn't thrown his body around as advantageously as he might, but don't at all think it's because of limitations of his body.......

josh ward1.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back