Welcome to the Bulldogs Lachlan Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

My first game of school rugby union in year 7(in the UK), I played prop and my 12 year old opponent spent the first half rubbing his stubble up and down my left cheek during every scrum. I wad red raw by half time.

He stopped doing it in the second half after my polite request for him to desist, and my less polite punch to his face at the next scrum.

LOL I've discovered the truth about Lachlan Smith's age. He really is 30 years old!

Got drafted as a rookie by Collingwood 12 years ago and didn't last long on their list then bounced around some of the lower leagues until he lobbed at Footscray (VFL) in 2018. He was only 190cm back then but has obviously been chugging down the growth hormones the last few years so he could get another crack at the AFL.

This must be the greatest identity switcheroo since Fine Cotton!!

We should let Tom Morris know. He'd be all over this.

My first game of school rugby union in year 7(in the UK), I played prop and my 12 year old opponent spent the first half rubbing his stubble up and down my left cheek during every scrum. I wad red raw by half time.

He stopped doing it in the second half after my polite request for him to desist, and my less polite punch to his face at the next scrum.
I lost my U14s grand final to a team that included a bloke with a full grown beard, who had his toddlers on the side of the field watching him play. I imagine his proof of age process was somewhat similar to what we saw from Smith

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So far the Locksmith is looking really impressive at VFL level. He can push forward and kick a snag and he can hold his own in a ruck duo with Lobb.
He's only had half a dozen games at the level too. It wouldn't be easy coming into the VFL rucking against blokes who weigh 110-115kg and have been in the system for 5 years or more.

Pre-season he was listed at 203 which is tall enough, but only 98kg (probably over 100 now). That's still a bit light for a ruck, which is also why Sam Darcy (who's about the same weight) can't dominate AFL ruck contests yet. Lobb and English were both listed as 107kg at the start of the season.

Lachie is still only 18 and a half. Not 19 until October. By contrast English didn't debut until he was nearly 20 and only had 9 games before the age of 21. Sweet didn't debut until he was 21.

Lachie will certainly be one to watch after another pre-season. Could be a handy fill-in if Lobb and/or English leave. I just hope we develop him properly and that we can give him opportunities & hold onto him.

Looks to be on the shorter side for a ruckman. I know he’s listed as 203cm but he has the same build as Westy, all his height comes from his bloody neck.

He will need to become the bash and crash follow up type in the middle to be effective. Long way to go but the fact he has been able to push forward and be decent is a good start.

Looks to be on the shorter side for a ruckman. I know he’s listed as 203cm but he has the same build as Westy, all his height comes from his bloody neck.

He will need to become the bash and crash follow up type in the middle to be effective. Long way to go but the fact he has been able to push forward and be decent is a good start.
To be fair
Anyone looks short having to stand next to Lobb, English and Darcy in the training vids

He is very Scott Lycett like.

He actually seems to have some semblance of forward nous which helps with the way we seem to try and play.

He's only had half a dozen games at the level too. It wouldn't be easy coming into the VFL rucking against blokes who weigh 110-115kg and have been in the system for 5 years or more.

Pre-season he was listed at 203 which is tall enough, but only 98kg (probably over 100 now). That's still a bit light for a ruck, which is also why Sam Darcy (who's about the same weight) can't dominate AFL ruck contests yet. Lobb and English were both listed as 107kg at the start of the season.

Lachie is still only 18 and a half. Not 19 until October. By contrast English didn't debut until he was nearly 20 and only had 9 games before the age of 21. Sweet didn't debut until he was 21.

Lachie will certainly be one to watch after another pre-season. Could be a handy fill-in if Lobb and/or English leave. I just hope we develop him properly and that we can give him opportunities & hold onto him.
Curious where is the best resource for player weights? I’ve noticed that they’ve been removed from the club and AFL sites

Curious where is the best resource for player weights? I’ve noticed that they’ve been removed from the club and AFL sites
They're all guesses now. They're no longer going to be published due to body-shaming issues

It's a bit harder to find for players who are yet to debut.

There's footywire which has him at 203cm and 102kg

There's also the WB 2024 List thread which is a sticky and has basic profile stats for all players on our list. When I put that list together about 5 months ago Lachie was only shown as 98kg. The 102kg figure shown by Footy Wire seems more likely now.

They're all guesses now. They're no longer going to be published due to body-shaming issues
It is now deemed insensitive to talk about their weight.
Is this for real?

These are professional sportsmen, many of whom get paid more in a few years than most of us will see in a lifetime. Part of the deal is you have to put up with a lot of media exposure. The exposure pays their salaries (in a convoluted sort of way).

Se what happens when you put sticky labels on pieces of fruit! The world goes to sh*t.

Is this for real?

These are professional sportsmen, many of whom get paid more in a few years than most of us will see in a lifetime. Part of the deal is you have to put up with a lot of media exposure. The exposure pays their salaries (in a convoluted sort of way).

Se what happens when you put sticky labels on pieces of fruit! The world goes to sh*t.
Incredibly it is true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back