Mod. Notice What do you want to see on the Geelong Board in 2017?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with cynical. I'm not a child and don't need to sign anything. I will continue to interact with people respectfully when and where it suits me, and like you I hope that others do the same. If I step over the line I am happy to suffer the consequences just like anyone else. Signing something will not change that, but I refuse to be forced to conform - I personally feel there is something a little sinister about forcing people to pledge to behave how they should and (mostly) voluntarily do in any case.
There is no forcing involved, it is basically (in my eyes) just people publicly trying to make a commitment to not be campaigners to one another, at the end of the day if we get pushed we are still likely to respond as we want...

Of course the easiest thing would be for people to just not be complete children but this is the Internet... we have to take good with bad

And on the Chris Scott thread... there should be no trying to avoid it... either avoid it or don't, if you don't like it fair to say nothing is going to change until games start... so you aren't going to get anything from it

There are plenty of threads/boards I don't look at as I'm not interested in.. just hit unfollow and move along. Pretty easy

Why is that? So it can be used as a witch hunt?
Nonsense.

If personal insults are banned then people who make them should get warned/banned, whether they have signed a pledge or not.

If you dont like the comments in the Chris Scott thread then don't go there.
All 100% true.

The bold?.....absolutely...with you 100%.

The pledge? Whats the problem...?

All it says is

1) Signatories will respect their fellow posters
2) Signatories will answer posts on its merits.
3) Signatories will refrain from personal abuse.

Its simply a statement of intent in response to what a large section of our "community" see as a deterioration in standards of late on this board, not just the Scott thread.

The pledge doesn't restrict a poster telling another that their recent post is a load of crap and explaining why they think that way..... All it does is restrict a poster from belittling and/or abusing a fellow poster for expressing that opinion.

If someone can tell me whats wrong with agreeing to the substance of the pledge as it stands, I'm sure we'd all like to hear it.

Is it so wrong to put your name to a statement reflecting decent standards and a modicum of respect for each other on a BF Board?
Couldn't have said it any better. :thumbsu:

I'm with cynical. I'm not a child and don't need to sign anything. I will continue to interact with people respectfully when and where it suits me, and like you I hope that others do the same. If I step over the line I am happy to suffer the consequences just like anyone else. Signing something will not change that, but I refuse to be forced to conform - I personally feel there is something a little sinister about forcing people to pledge to behave how they should and (mostly) voluntarily do in any case.
It's voluntary. You're not being forced to do anything.

Sinister? Pfft.

There isn't any forcing. Pretty hard to enforce such a thing. What can be enforced is the underlying reason behind it. Being more respectful etc.

All the way back to 2013/14 there's been moderator announcements about the ways in which some responds to one another yet here we are in 2017 and it's still a problem.

You do what you want, but whilst not everyone that agrees to this decree will be wrongdoers most of the wrongdoers won't agree to this new way. Which is a bit sad.

Except you have posters chiding others for not having 'pledged' yet, making it seem like just another source of divisiveness and factionalism on the board.
Yeah I agree with this, it's completely voluntary... people shouldn't be telling other people mid thread they need to go sign, that goes against the type of behavior trying to be encouraged

Just some thoughts from me.
What I would to see is a more mature approach across the board. Surely we can be above name calling, I've been guilty of it no doubt and am fully aware I'm no angel.
There are both sides here which fuel fires... and a ganging up pack mentality forms quickly..
I think a few things would help...
- use multi quote function, if you feel like arguing with 7 people at once you are more than welcome to.. but if you tie it all into 1 post it makes the board tidier for everyone else and can save tim.
- cut out crap responses, posting reaction gifs absolutely has a purpose, but if you are trying to bail on an argument posting a give of someone rolling their eyes or just posting 'yawn' literally adds nothing to the discussion and just riles up the person you are posting it to. If you want to post gifs and stir up people let me know and I can point you in the direction of a board where it is encouraged

Minor things I think can help us all... granted if all else fails use ignore...

I like the premise of the pledge in that it is really just people publicly committing to try help the board, at the same time I think the people who haven't publicly said it are smart as they know people will try use it against them if an argument blows up.
We aren't all adults, but plenty are and if every other board can function with so many different personalities there is no reason this one shouldn't.

Last edited:
Just some thoughts from me.
What I would to see is a more mature approach across the board. Surely we can be above name calling, I've been guilty of it no doubt and am fully aware I'm no angel.
There are both sides here which fuel fires... and a ganging up pack mentality forms quickly..
I think a few things would help...
- use multi quote function, if you feel like arguing with 7 people at once you are more than welcome to.. but if you tie it all into 1 post it makes the board tidier for everyone else and can save tim.
- cut out crap responses, posting reaction gifs absolutely has a purpose, but if you are trying to bail on an argument posting a give of someone rolling their eyes or just posting 'yawn' literally adds nothing to the discussion and just riles up the person you are posting it to. If you want to post gifs and stir up people let me know and I can point you in the direction of a board where it is encouraged

Minor things I think can help us all... granted if all else fails use ignore...

I like the premise of the pledge in that it is really just people publicly committing to try help the board, at the same time I think the people who haven't publicly said it are smart as they know people will try use it against them if an argument blows up.
We aren't all adults, but plenty are and if every other board can function with so many different personalities there is no reason this one shouldn't.

There are good, mature, knowledgeable posters here, but there are also those who want to bait and provoke.

Therefore good intentions will eventually come undone as patience is eroded, so I think a strict no tolerance policy needs to be applied towards any insulting terms and personal attacks. There's simply no need to refer to other posters with derogatory names.

Except you have posters chiding others for not having 'pledged' yet, making it seem like just another source of divisiveness and factionalism on the board.
As is their right.

And for my part I can understand people querying the apparent reluctance.

at the same time I think the people who haven't publicly said it are smart as they know people will try use it against them if an argument blows up.
Quite an odd comment Willo. The whole point is to lift posting standard and tone. It will only be "used against" someone if the standard isn't upheld. So being worried about that is essentially an admission that the poster won't meet that standard.

The only logical reason not to pledge is to not want to meet the standard. And that's pretty damning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quite an odd comment Willo. The whole point is to lift posting standard and tone. It will only be "used against" someone if the standard isn't upheld. So being worried about that is essentially an admission that the poster won't meet that standard.

The only logical reason not to pledge is to not want to meet the standard. And that's pretty damning.

There are plenty of other logical reasons.

There are plenty of other logical reasons.
Edit: I tell I lie. There is another: plenty of posters won't feel the need to pledge because they believe they behave well anyway and don't need to declare it publicly in this way.

So there are broadly two reasons.

I understand the premise, but you know as well as I do that if someone slips up some posters will jump all over them with a holier than thou attitude because of this pledge business.

And that is part of the reason why some people won't have anything to do with it IMO.

Also one further suggestion ( i hit post on the phone before I hae finished)

Can the like function be removed? People clearly use it to gang up on others (on each side)

Just disable it and I think it will help ease some simmering I think

I understand the premise, but you know as well as I do that if someone slips up some posters will jump all over them with a holier than thou attitude because of this pledge business.

And that is part of the reason why some people won't have anything to do with it IMO.
Again, only an issue if they won't meet he standard. And it's a poor one.

Can the like function be removed? People clearly use it to gang up on others (on each side)

I don't believe so. It can be removed for posters abusing it.

I see where you're coming from, and agree that it is used incorrectly, but it'd be a shame to lose it because some posts deserve a like for their sheer quality......like those we saw a couple of days ago.

Perhaps remove it, and rather than a simple 'like' we actually comment on our appreciation of quality posting?

Again, only an issue if they won't meet he standard. And it's a poor one.
Maybe but there are clearly trust issues here. I'm just assuming that it is all part of the reason some are steering clear

Maybe but there are clearly trust issues here. I'm just assuming that it is all part of the reason some are steering clear
I'm not saying you're wrong; I actually agree with you but I'm just calling the spade a spade. There's no cause for concern for those that intend to meet the standard.

This is a place for GFC supporters to congregate and discuss. The premise of being here is to support the club. The ensuing discussion revolves around that support. Now, that may at times mean criticising the club and questioning its actions and motives. All part of the territory and perfectly acceptable. But you support the club. It also means you enjoy the club and respect what they are doing in the larger sense.

However, that becomes lost when the broader rights to enjoy and relate to like minded others (meaning fellow GFC supporters) are being trodden on by groups on both sides of positions where the discussion degenerates into pissing contests about being right/wrong that eventually loses the discussion topic altogether - or when the excessive sides of POV spread through every thread. Its just not needed.

And lately, that pissing contests has become more polarising than ever.

The overriding concern for me personally is that the average garden variety GFC supporter (of which I am one) that wants to come here, engage in discussion, leave some notes about club, players, relate to other posters, whatever and leave feeling that the environment was supportive of their presence is being comprimised - and that is ****ed. Totally ****ed. - and i didnt write stuffed I can tell you.

IMO the pledge is an attempt to return to that environment of embracing the support for the club. One where pissing matches are gone. Abuse is gone. Discussion is maintained and encouraged but not at the expense of having posters, garden variety or otherwise, feeling compelled to leave as they are either abused, or drowned out by the loudest voice(s) in the room - leaving them gutted by feeling there is no point being here.

To me its more about people pulling their ******* heads in and having some respect for those around them rather than pushing their own agendas just to be heard, or worse, just proving a point to be right.

When I arrived here it was more about embracing and welcoming support for the club and encouraging posters to engage in discussion.
Now its more about trying to avoid s**t fights and like fests.

The fact the even one person has felt the need to leave here because of this is repugnant - the fact that it still goes on to this day is repulsive. Soon those loudest voices will be the only ones left. People will leave as they just don't want to hear it anymore. And you cant blame them.

To me the pledge is about the majority here telling those voices - regardless of their message, "enough is enough". Respect your fellow posters, think about what you are posting and engage them as you would want to be engaged. Make your case, state you point, argue if you must, but lose the belligerence, the arrogance and holier than thou attitude in doing so.

I never thought Id have to be posting about human decency and stuff I teach my kids about to a bunch of internet posting Geelong fans but here we are.
Im effected more by the lack of decency towards others. Its the talking on your phone in the cinema analogy. Its your right to do it, and you bought tickets to the movie like everyone else did. But are you really going to sit there and wreck the movie experience for everyone else while you do it?

I have spent more time as a Mod dealing with internal GFC board issues than that of posters from the other 17 boards. I wont speak for the other Mods but I for one am sick and tired of it.

Its ****ed. It needs to stop and it needs to stop now.

IMO the pledge is the first step.

GO Catters

This is a place for GFC supporters to congregate and discuss. The premise of being here is to support the club. The ensuing discussion revolves around that support. Now, that may at times mean criticising the club and questioning its actions and motives. All part of the territory and perfectly acceptable. But you support the club. It also means you enjoy the club and respect what they are doing in the larger sense.

However, that becomes lost when the broader rights to enjoy and relate to like minded others (meaning fellow GFC supporters) are being trodden on by groups on both sides of positions where the discussion degenerates into pissing contests about being right/wrong that eventually loses the discussion topic altogether - or when the excessive sides of POV spread through every thread. Its just not needed.

And lately, that pissing contests has become more polarising than ever.

The overriding concern for me personally is that the average garden variety GFC supporter (of which I am one) that wants to come here, engage in discussion, leave some notes about club, players, relate to other posters, whatever and leave feeling that the environment was supportive of their presence is being comprimised - and that is stuffed. Totally stuffed. - and i didnt write stuffed I can tell you.

IMO the pledge is an attempt to return to that environment of embracing the support for the club. One where pissing matches are gone. Abuse is gone. Discussion is maintained and encouraged but not at the expense of having posters, garden variety or otherwise, feeling compelled to leave as they are either abused, or drowned out by the loudest voice(s) in the room - leaving them gutted by feeling there is no point being here.

To me its more about people pulling their ******* heads in and having some respect for those around them rather than pushing their own agendas just to be heard, or worse, just proving a point to be right.

When I arrived here it was more about embracing and welcoming support for the club and encouraging posters to engage in discussion.
Now its more about trying to avoid s**t fights and like fests.

The fact the even one person has felt the need to leave here because of this is repugnant - the fact that it still goes on to this day is repulsive. Soon those loudest voices will be the only ones left. People will leave as they just don't want to hear it anymore. And you cant blame them.

To me the pledge is about the majority here telling those voices - regardless of their message, "enough is enough". Respect your fellow posters, think about what you are posting and engage them as you would want to be engaged. Make your case, state you point, argue if you must, but lose the belligerence, the arrogance and holier than thou attitude in doing so.

I never thought Id have to be posting about human decency and stuff I teach my kids about to a bunch of internet posting Geelong fans but here we are.
Im effected more by the lack of decency towards others. Its the talking on your phone in the cinema analogy. Its your right to do it, and you bought tickets to the movie like everyone else did. But are you really going to sit there and wreck the movie experience for everyone else while you do it?

I have spent more time as a Mod dealing with internal GFC board issues than that of posters from the other 17 boards. I wont speak for the other Mods but I for one am sick and tired of it.

Its stuffed. It needs to stop and it needs to stop now.

IMO the pledge is the first step.

GO Catters

Hear, hear!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back