List Mgmt. What happens if XXX is injured

Remove this Banner Ad

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Its the off season, we're all looking for content, Im hoping that this thread may spark some discussion?
This discussion is focused on what happens if that player or that position is injured? Who comes in? Positional changes to cover etc.
eg. If that midfielder gets injured. Does Sheldrick come in? Does Heeney move into the mids and HHK or Magor get a game up forward??

Theres no right or wrong, however there are good and s**t ideas, but that judgement is up to the individual.
This is a hypothetical thread

Well there you go.. never knew how to start a thread, but seems this worked - apologies in advance to those that think this is a stupid idea
Bored in the off season and attempting to create some discussion.

What happens if both Buddy and Reid go down? Its not an unlikely scenario!
McDonald, Amartey, McLean, Francis, P McCartin, Ladhams?? Or do we play a tall short??

Ill cop some stick for this (yes you Horace) but..
I like the idea of two tall forwards and a third who plays 2nd ruck. Its the structure the Swans have gone with lately.
Looking at players potential, If Reid and Buddy were injured, Id like to see (dreaming) McDonald, Paddy and Armatey. I still dont have much trust in Ladhams.

McDonald - is the obvious, but as a 3rd year KPF, hes not up to taking the oppos best defender, and needs the support of a more mature body and classy forward
Paddy - Is the more mature body and likely classy enough to demand the oppos best defender. I also reckon that the defence could be better with only one McCartin. They're both similar in speed, size, strength etc and maybe a different style of tall defender could work better? Francis, Gould??
I reckon Paddy would be a better tall forward than tall defender. All his attributes that make him a good defender could make him a better forward - reads the play, reads the ball in flight, good mark, good kick.
If theres no concern of further injury, then Paddy up forward could work.
Amartey - has the size, speed, skill set to play that 3rd tall & 2nd ruck roll. I reckon he needs to be injury free and have a big off and pre-season. Amartey is our best option to cover the multi-faceted Ried.. Just needs to put his head down and work his ass off.

I reckon all those 3 have a different and complimentary skill set

Well there you go.. never knew how to start a thread, but seems this worked - apologies in advance to those that think this is a stupid idea

McDonald, Amartey, McLean, Francis, P McCartin, Ladhams?? Or do we play a tall short??

I like the idea of two tall forwards and a third who plays 2nd ruck. Its the structure the Swans have gone with lately.
Looking at players potential, If Reid and Buddy were injured, Id like to see (dreaming) McDonald, Paddy and Armatey. I still dont have much trust in Ladhams.

McDonald - is the obvious, but as a 3rd year KPF, hes not up to taking the oppos best defender, and needs the support of a more mature body and classy forward
Paddy - Is the more mature body and likely classy enough to demand the oppos best defender. I also reckon that the defence could be better with only one McCartin. They're both similar in speed, size, strength etc and maybe a different style of tall defender could work better? Francis, Gould??
I reckon Paddy would be a better tall forward than tall defender. All his attributes that make him a good defender could make him a better forward - reads the play, reads the ball in flight, good mark, good kick.
Amartey - has the size, speed, skill set to play that 3rd tall & 2nd ruck roll. I reckon he needs to be injury free and have a big off and pre-season. Amartey is our best option to cover the multi-faceted Ried.. Just needs to put his head down and work his ass off.

First I reckon the thread is a great idea.
Second I love these kind of theoreticals.
Third I'm going to work off last exposed form, not what I hope we'll see.
Buddy and Reid gone.
Assume Hickey plays ruck.
Based on exposed form McLean gets picked. He works out of the square.
Logan most likely gets picked as the roaming key.
Amartey gets picked as the cut out ruck and third tall.
Ladhams plays VFL OR instead of Amartey. 🤔
We don't yet know enough about Francis. He needs to play some VFL. However, later on he might be the better replacement for Paddy than Gould, who would be better to replace Tom.
As for Paddy, for sure he has the class but he hasn't trained with the other forwards and the mids aren't familiar with his leading. I can't see it except in sheer desperation, or as a swing during a game to shake things up.

Excellent idea for a thread ( and yes I noted your Paddy goes forward ref! )

One scenario is to go with a 2kpf forward line. This would see just McLean at FFand Logan as roaming CHF. There are other marking targets - Heeney, Parker, Hayward and it would force a more eyes down, tactical I50 entry.

I don't like the idea of Paddy becoming a key forward.
He has escaped the concussion concerns so far because he hasn't had to deal with monster defenders punching him in the head pretending that they were trying to punch the ball.
Ladhams has made a couple of stupid mistakes but some kids do that. He has far more football ability to throw him away due to those errors. If he continues to do so this year, then so be it but I'm prepared to give him another chance.

One scenario is to go with a 2kpf forward line. This would see just McLean at FFand Logan as roaming CHF. There are other marking targets - Heeney, Parker, Hayward and it would force a more eyes down, tactical I50 entry.
Downside is that for approx 30% of the time while one of the two keys is on the bench it's a one KPF forward line.
The other downside is who cuts out in the ruck?
Something that might make it a bit more workable is a swingman like Reid playing significant minutes back so that we ONLY have two KPFs forward at a time. One of those three still needs to be the ruck cut out.

Who are the XXXs we can least afford to lose/hardest to replace? The great thing is that it's not obvious. We have depth across most positions.

Probably Hickey, especially when he's in form. I have not at all written Ladhams off. I hope he doesn't spend too much time in the VFL although I wouldn't play him if Hickey, Buddy, Reid and Logan are all playing. However, with their respective histories I don't think we can count on that trio spending that many games out on the park together.

KPF is another relative weakness and I would be open to playing few talls in the front half if one of our KPFs is out injured and the replacements are not in great form.

Otherwise we have players in the ressies crying out for opportunities (especially Gould!).

Who are the XXXs we can least afford to lose/hardest to replace? The great thing is that it's not obvious. We have depth across most positions.

Probably Hickey, especially when he's in form. I have not at all written Ladhams off. I hope he doesn't spend too much time in the VFL although I wouldn't play him if Hickey, Buddy, Reid and Logan are all playing. However, with their respective histories I don't think we can count on that trio spending that many games out on the park together.

KPF is another relative weakness and I would be open to playing few talls in the front half if one of our KPFs is out injured and the replacements are not in great form.

Otherwise we have players in the ressies crying out for opportunities (especially Gould!).

Tom McCartin

Yep less KPF is definitely an option.. who plays 2nd ruck is one question..?
Also if theres less tall timber up forward, then a lot of the entries rely on the ball coming to ground so the likes of Paps, Heeney, Hayward, (Sheldrick, Konstanty, HHK, Magor, Gulden, Mids) can get to work. I dont see Logan as a player to be used to crash packs and bring the ball to ground? That leaves the 2nd ruck roll and the crash packs roll left to McLean.. is that too much for him?

I reckon for the 2 x KPF to work, the mids would have to be on fire and the delivery inside 50 would have to A-grade so Heeney, Hayward & Paps can use their marking ability

I reckon the xx key/tall forward xx is the hardest to replace.. we're covered this year, but will require a big trade period to cover for next year.

One thing that Horse has been criticised for over the years is the way he plays players in multiple positions - criticism comes from not allowing players to master one position. The result of this is a very flexible team, with many players who can play multiple positions.
So... as the Swans have the ability to shuffle positions around, the question may be 'Who's next in line'?

Gould 100% has to be bloody close to a debut.. Sheldrick too
others Id like to see get a game include Sheather, HHK, Magor, Rankin, Corey Warner, Konstanty, Edwards, Mitchell. I reckon these guys are probably a year or two away.. so no rush.
Id also like to see what Francis can do at a good footy club. Need to remember he was drafted with p6, then went to the bombers who's entire team was having a year off in rehab.. He was then injured and suffered mental health issues, and then made to play different positions. The guy has potential! A clean bill of health and being immersed in a quality culture could bring it all out???

Interesting to see Corey Warner mentioned as a possible debutant.

I'm far from convinced. Yes, he's fast. Yes, he has skills. Yes, he's on an upward trajectory.

But his numbers in the VFL last year were a bit Grohan-esque.

I'd see:

* Roberts or Sheldrick as "ins" should an inside mid get injured.

* Campbell comes in if Stephens, Errol or McI cops an injury.

* Konstanty covers Papley.

* Sheldrick likely also covers Clarke (I think he's ahead of Wicks).

* Cunningham as the "in" should a running defender go down.

* Gould as the "in" for a Rampe or Paddy Mac injury (I have no idea regarding Francis as yet).

* Melican as cover for Tommy Mac (this one frightens me a bit).

* Ladhams as the "in" should a KPF or Ruck Jesus get injured (I view Ladhams as a superior Key Forward than Armatey or McLean).

From my perspective, the most interesting one would be an injury to Heeney or Hayward. Would Sheather get a run? Would Parker be forced forward? I'm not really sure who the "next cab off the rank" is among the medium forwards.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to see Corey Warner mentioned as a possible debutant.

I'm far from convinced. Yes, he's fast. Yes, he has skills. Yes, he's on an upward trajectory.

But his numbers in the VFL last year were a bit Grohan-esque.

I'd see:

* Roberts or Sheldrick as "ins" should an inside mid get injured.

* Campbell comes in if Stephens, Errol or McI cops an injury.

* Konstanty covers Papley.

* Sheldrick likely also covers Clarke (I think he's ahead of Wicks).

* Cunningham as the "in" should a running defender go down.

* Gould as the "in" for a Rampe or Paddy Mac injury (I have no idea regarding Francis as yet).

* Melican as cover for Tommy Mac (this one frightens me a bit).

* Ladhams as the "in" should a KPF or Ruck Jesus get injured (I view Ladhams as a superior Key Forward than Armatey or McLean).

From my perspective, the most interesting one would be an injury to Heeney or Hayward. Would Sheather get a run? Would Parker be forced forward? I'm not really sure who the "next cab off the rank" is among the medium forwards.
I think it's more likely that Corey would get the kind of "taster" debut that Gus and Roberts got last year in the event of a short term injury. Possibly Gould too.
I think Gould will cover all three of the defensive talls rather than Melican. If it's a bit later Francis might also get a "taster". Replacing Blakey is interesting. Might drop McInerney back to keep the running power and replace him.
Can definitely see Gus or Roberts coming in for a longer term injury to one of the "big 4" though probably not to huge minutes.
Wicks vs Gus depends a lot on preseason and trials I think. If Wicks is back to 2021 form he wins. If not....
Don't think they'll rush Konstanty. "Taster" for a one or two week injury but more likely Wicks for longer term.
Harry as you say.
Ladhams as 3rd tall is an interesting puzzle. So far, Horse has shown little inclination in that direction.
Heeney or Hayward is a straight replacement by Campbell IMO. It's apples and oranges but the closest we've got until HHK is strong enough.
Nice post BTW. Lots to think about.

Who are your club’s most structurally important AFL players in 2023?
This is based on how difficult it would be for the club in question to replace the output of these players if they’re injured.
Depth at the position is obviously important in that regard. A star ruckman might be structurally important, but if the team has another quality ruck on their list then losing them is less disastrous.

For Sydney;
Tom McCartin, Tom Papley, Callum Mills

Sydney’s most important player structurally is a hard one to pinpoint, such is the depth and even spread of the playing squad.

Down back, the most important has previously been Dane Rampe, but Tom McCartin has emerged as a genuine rock in defence. His ability to lock down key talls allows the likes of his brother Paddy, Jake Lloyd and Nick Blakey to attack and the Swans will plan their defence around the 23-year-old.

Up forward, Lance Franklin has been the man for a decade but entering what could be his final season, Tom Papley is the player who makes things tick inside 50. With a raft of capable talls, Papley is the goalkicker the Swans can ill-afford to lose with his energy around goals unmatched.

In the middle, Callum Mills has emerged as one of the competition’s best and his ability to run both ways give the Swans a different dimension on-ball.

It's an interesting debate and I think it would be reasonable to consider Hickey & Reid.
Who have we got to back them up as 1st and 2nd ruck?
Amartey, Ladhams & McLean. Crucial that at the very least Ladhams comes good given the age/injury record of Hickey & Reid.

Mills is probably our best two way running midfielder, but more valuable than the burst of Chad?

Albeit different types but Heeney averaged more goals than Papley and his marking/movement can be a real headache for the opposition.

I'd agree with Tom, but if he goes down could Paddy play man on man, Francis takes Paddy's intercepting role?
Disappoingly Melican seems to have fallen of the cliff (I had high hopes based on his early performances).
Still need to be convinced by Gould. I would have delisted him at the end of 2021. Better last year, but not sure he can be relied on.

As I say an interesting debate, so I'll wimp out and sit on the fence.

Last edited:

This is based on how difficult it would be for the club in question to replace the output of these players if they’re injured.
Depth at the position is obviously important in that regard. A star ruckman might be structurally important, but if the team has another quality ruck on their list then losing them is less disastrous.

For Sydney;

It's an interesting debate and I think it would be reasonable to consider Hickey & Reid.
Amartey, Ladhams & McLean. Crucial that at the very least Ladhams comes good given the age/injury record of Hickey & Reid.

Mills is probably our best two way running midfielder, but more valuable than the burst of Chad?

Albeit different types but Heeney averaged more goals than Papley and his marking/movement can be a real headache for the opposition.

I'd agree with Tom, but if he goes down could Paddy play man on man, Francis takes Paddy's intercepting role?
Disappoingly Melican seems to have fallen of the cliff (I had high hopes based on his early performances).
Still need to be convinced by Gould. I would have delisted him at the end of 2021. Better last year, but not sure he can be relied on.

IMO
Papley is irreplaceable. He so dynamic in and around goals. He damages teams. Damages.
Heeney is freakish around goals kicking goals from impossible angles. Marks high for his height. No medium forward comes close.
Tom McCartin (23 years old)is just growing into a legend. His legacy will be told of long after he leaves. Young but very good.

IMO
Papley is irreplaceable. He so dynamic in and around goals. He damages teams. Damages.
Heeney is freakish around goals kicking goals from impossible angles. Marks high for his height. No medium forward comes close.
Tom McCartin (23 years old)is just growing into a legend. His legacy will be told of long after he leaves. Young but very good.
We were noticeably better when Papley returned from injury. Part of that was that Wicks was off his 2021 form and the other pocket was unsettled but once Paps hit his straps in the second half of the season - zoom!
We don't have anyone as strong as Tom McCartin to put up against the big forwards. Even though he was beaten a few times our next best is probably still Rampe. Pretty sure we were chasing Logue for just that reason. So the first two definitely.
Mills the most arguable as Rowbottom is not far behind in his role IMO. The problem then becomes who replaces Rowy? I think both Gus and Roberts are pointed in that direction and might be close by the end of the season but not yet. So Mills via Rowbottom as the third.

For Sydney;

Agree Hickey and Reid are hugely important. I reckon Amartey and Ladhams have the talent and skill set to replace them, but both seem a looooong way off. Both need a big year.

I think Mills offers more than just two-way running - he can play any role anywhere. If Horse asked him to take on Warners role of that attacking midfielder, he could and he would perform well. We've seen him play outside, drop back to help the defence, kick goals, win clearances and contested possessions.. A very hard (impossible) player to replace. On top of that hes the captain

Hmmm, Paps v Heeney ????

If (Its a very big IF) Amartey and Ladhams start playing to their potential and start showing the dedication/commitment that the Bloods require, then both Hickey and Reid have good replacements
Tom Mac - agree that the Swans have some decent (yet unproven) depth in Gould and Francis
Paps, Heeney, Warner, Mills.. fingers crossed they play 26 games this year. Theres such a huge gap in talent between them and their replacements

Something Horse has been big on is training players to be able to play multiple positions.. offers good flexibility for injury cover

Reckon we drafted konstanty because it was clear paps was so far ahead of his replacement. He's not ready to play 20 games yet but I reckon could cover a short term absence from papley pretty well.

Tom Mccartin would be the worst player to get a long term injury to. Just can't see anyone else playing that role. Everyone else is a bit of an interceptor or rebounder, or a bit undersized.

I’ll doubtless be howled down - but I believe Reid remains critical.

When he’s fit, we’re a vastly better side.

In terms of “irreplaceable”:

1. Tom Mc
2. Reid
3. Heeney

Oh dear. I am so easily sucked in.

Aside from the Grohan, Reid had been the most overpaid overrated hack on our list. And for a decade!

You can count on Sam to not turn up when it matters. Seems the doofus only discovered pre season training actually helps in the 2022 pre season. I see he still has not committed to rehab.

That he evidently lied about his fitness ahead of the GF still puzzles me. The turkey was proppy before the ball was bounced.

Howling Wolf Pack GIF by The Sims

I've completely cheated and I'm not sorry!

1. Tom McCartin - Concur with the majority. He's the only reliable player in his vital role.

2. Main Ruck Man - Whoever He May Be, can he please just stay on the park and play 20+ games for our midfield's sake?

3. Jallum Millsbottom - We have some exceptional youngsters who I think are icing players. Rowbottom and Mills are the cake.

Enjoy reading everyone's thoughts, and I maintain that it's a massive positive for our list that we have so many names with valid cases for this particular conversation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back