Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd love longer seasons and shorter games
I find games too long but the season too short. I have no problems with 18 minute quarters. 15 minute half time .

If you dont play finals - so most sides, a season from April to August is fairly short.

I also love Thursday and Monday games!!
I’m for shorter season. I get fatigue by round 12, too many nothing games towards the end. Media saturation that I indulge in dilutes my interest. Yet 1 month post season I pine for it 🤷‍♂️ Shorter games could make neutral games better viewing but I definitely sit in the less is more camp.

Clubs are making games an unnecessary eyesore and missing an economic opportunity by having away kits being as similar as possible to their home kit. Would be better to be like every other code in the world and have completely different colours/design. Would love a green and black hooped North kit for example.

Clubs are making games an unnecessary eyesore and missing an economic opportunity by having away kits being as similar as possible to their home kit. Would be better to be like every other code in the world and have completely different colours/design. Would love a green and black hooped North kit for example.

You want North to wear Tassie colours?

They can become collectors items too, so I don’t know why clubs don’t just keep re-releasing alternate jumpers from yesteryear that they can sell as limited editions.

Some of our heritage jumpers, as odd as they’ve been to many, would have members clamoring for them if they were offered again for sale.

DB7F7000-8599-4CC4-8707-7D0CE529025C.jpeg

I don't remember ever seeing that Hawthorn blue, red and white jumper. But I do remember the power ranger jumper, the pink and brown stripes, the camouflage pattern one and the blue argyle one from the 90s. The human brain can be cruel. Hawthorn also not alone in producing horrendous jumpers. Port, St Kilda, WC have all done their bit to name 3.

I’m for shorter season. I get fatigue by round 12, too many nothing games towards the end. Media saturation that I indulge in dilutes my interest. Yet 1 month post season I pine for it 🤷‍♂️ Shorter games could make neutral games better viewing but I definitely sit in the less is more camp.

Or as many other have suggested in recent years - 19 rounds with a bye round in the middle, which equates the fixture with every team playing each other once...

Last edited:
Scrap the regular "Round X" where every team plays every week.

17-20 games per team over the course of late-March to late-August. No need for 9 games every weekend - in fact, hardly ever 9 games every weekend. FTA broadcaster guaranteed Thursday night (most weeks), Friday night, Saturday night and (maybe) Sunday afternoon to lead into the news. No games clashing with others. Teams get decent breaks between games (min 6 days) but all games full 20min quarters.

So 9 teams get 9 home games and the other 9 teams only get 8 home games? Sorry to be picky but there's a big problem from the get-go.
8 home 8 away and one on neutral regional grounds (tassie alice darwin ballarat canberra townsville cairns etc etc)

So 9 teams get 9 home games and the other 9 teams only get 8 home games? Sorry to be picky but there's a big problem from the get-go.

Sorry a typo, I meant 19 rounds or whatever equates to every team playing each other once, home and away, who v who, when and where can be thrashed out...

Sorry a typo, I meant 19 rounds or whatever equates to every team playing each other once, home and away, who v who, when and where can be thrashed out...
No, you were right the first time. Everyone playing everyone once is 17 rounds. It's an odd number, which presents home fixture equality issues.
8 home 8 away and one on neutral regional grounds (tassie alice darwin ballarat canberra townsville cairns etc etc)
Good in theory, but a reduction from 11 to 8 home fixtures would greatly imperil club revenues. Even a very wealthy club like the Eagles would find themselves in financial strife without the extra couple of million generated by those extra 3 home matches. Not to mention the massive hit to TV revenue brought on by having nearly 50 less matches over the H&A.

It's great that you blokes are thinking outside the square a bit though. I'm definitely not opposed to progressive thought and don't want to be the one just sitting back picking holes for the sake of it, but the shortening of the season idea is just flawed. Mainly financially, unfortunately, but also that people like their tradition, and 22 matches is a deeply-ingrained annual expectation. The NFL gets away with a 17 round fixture because most American football fans also tend to follow College football as well, which effectively doubles their exposure to matches during the winter, and their TV deals have been framed around this length of season forever. Interestingly they've just added an extra week to their NFL schedule.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't remember ever seeing that Hawthorn blue, red and white jumper. But I do remember the power ranger jumper, the pink and brown stripes, the camouflage pattern one and the blue argyle one from the 90s. The human brain can be cruel. Hawthorn also not alone in producing horrendous jumpers. Port, St Kilda, WC have all done their bit to name 3.
The one-game Bulldogs Marvel jumper was up there in the horrendous stakes too

robbie gray

Nude 100m GF sprint

edit: sorry. I'm sure it's been suggested before.

Akermanis is the 2nd most skilled player ever
Fyfe 2015 is the best season ever
I'm curious too.

Gaz Sr? Peter Matera? Darren Jarman? Maurice Rioli Sr?
Hey I've been to the Meredith Music Festival. It ain't that great, believe me ;)
Perhaps they should also add the 48 hours of warm beer sunk beforehand, the unpredictable dust-covered declined terrain and a handful of eskies to navigate along the way, just to make it truly comparable.

I'm curious too.

Perhaps they should also add the 48 hours of warm beer sunk beforehand, the unpredictable dust-covered declined terrain and a handful of eskies to navigate along the way, just to make it truly comparable.
Don't forget the crap bands and yuppies.

I'm curious too.

Daicos. Footskills specifically

With Covid now a realistic threat to team playing numbers, we could well see 15 a side games being played!
The 5-5-5 lineup will prove to those doubters a success and will lead the AFL adopting it as the standard model.

For those still unsure what this is, its 5 defenders [no back pocket], 5 mids - 2 wings out of the square at ball ups, a centreman, a ruck and on baller in the square. 5 forwards [no forward pocket]. Bench can be as it is - 4, or whatever make up ie 2 interchange, 2 substitutes etc.
15 aside makes for a fast, long kicking game, with 1:1 accountable football making a comeback!

Last edited:
With Covid now a realistic threat to team playing numbers, we could well see 15 a side games being played!
The 5-5-5 lineup will prove to those doubters a success and will lead the AFL adopting it as the standard model.

For those still unsure what this is, its 5 defenders [no back pocket], 5 mids - 2 wings out of the square at ball ups, a centreman, a ruck and on baller in the square. 5 forwards [no forward pocket]. Bench can be as it is - 4, or whatever make up ie 2 interchange, 2 substitutes etc.
15 aside makes for a fast, long kicking game, with 1:1 accountable football making a comeback!
No.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back