Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

For some unknown reason he is more partial to the dees than any club aoart ftom the Roos. Seems to even know all if their names and backstories.

Not so much for other teams
Helps when his nephew plays for them.
Yeah pretty much cos Gus plays for us.

I haven't watched too many Freo games but he could be the same for them

I'm a relic from the 70's and 80's but cannot believe how often full time, well paid footballers run too close to the man on the mark when having a set shot at goal.

When you run too close you inevitably pull the kick and hook it.

I reckon I see it happen 5-10 times a game.

It’s because they generally are trying to kick it from slightly out of their range.

How often do we see a player hook it from 50 out? There is a handful of players who can run straight and kick it 50 on a set shot. The others all run an arc and then surprise surprise, kick it with a hook/curve.

And then you have Luke Hodge types in the box (I’ve heard Hodge say it at least 3 times) that players practice goalkicking so much, they know their ranges 😂 ok Hodge they definitely don’t, or each player has a 10m addition for ego reasons.

It’s because they generally are trying to kick it from slightly out of their range.

How often do we see a player hook it from 50 out? There is a handful of players who can run straight and kick it 50 on a set shot. The others all run an arc and then surprise surprise, kick it with a hook/curve.

And then you have Luke Hodge types in the box (I’ve heard Hodge say it at least 3 times) that players practice goalkicking so much, they know their ranges 😂 ok Hodge they definitely don’t, or each player has a 10m addition for ego reasons.
I’d say their range decreases as fatigue sets in.

How much? They probably don’t know either.

The AFL and umpiring has become so corrupt. Only really been visual to me in the last 8 years but quite sure it's been that way a lot longer.

Would need a dictionary to know the meaning of integrity.
"My team should have won more than 1 premiership in the last 8 years, but I don't want to blame the coach or the team so I'll latch on to what ever unsubstantiated theory I can".

Dangerfield is a classic for it. He’s a 1 in 50 chance from 55-60, yet will continually go for it. When he’s on the sprint he’s a better chance, but as a set shot he just hooks it continuously from that distance.

In any American sport they would crucify him for the selection - the analysis is a lot better there. In AFL it’s encouraged to take the low percentage shot it seems. Long range, opposite foot pocket etc.

I haven't bought into the Carlton 'fairytale' and I'll be going for Brisbane next week. I also don't have much interest in a Collingwood vs Carlton Grand Final as a neutral.

None of this is with any vitriol. There just aren't many Blues players I enjoy watching (Curnow aside). Walsh is a great player, but I can't say he's necessarily pretty to watch. Even though it's going to sound unpopular, watching Rozzee, Butters and Houston opposite a team with Cameron, Bailey and Rayner would make for an entertaining Grand Final experience.

Collingwood vs Brisbane is the ideal outcome, regardless.

Following Ron Barassi's death: and the calls from the media and subsequent reports that the AFL is considering adding Barassi's name to the premiership cup. Hear me out...

I kind of get the media's side, it's a free hit for a story idea, saves them coming up with something else. My issue is - Barassi was just as deserving of this recognition 25-30, arguably 40 years ago. So why the rush to bulldoze this through in under two weeks, now that the poor guy has passed away? Is it just for 'likes'? I feel as though it is. Otherwise they should have done it 20+ years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Following Ron Barassi's death: and the calls from the media and subsequent reports that the AFL is considering adding Barassi's name to the premiership cup. Hear me out...

I kind of get the media's side, it's a free hit for a story idea, saves them coming up with something else. My issue is - Barassi was just as deserving of this recognition 25-30, arguably 40 years ago. So why the rush to bulldoze this through in under two weeks, now that the poor guy has passed away? Is it just for 'likes'? I feel as though it is. Otherwise they should have done it 20+ years ago.
When the dust has settled, we look at things more favourably than we did at the time. For much of his career you’d be laughed at for suggesting a player like Dangerfield is one of the best footballers we’ve seen, but in 5+ years after he’s retired, plenty of us will acknowledge “hey, he was a little better than brilliant”.

I’m sure what Barassi achieved at the time was considered amazing. It looks far more amazing now though, as only Leigh Matthews has come remotely close to emulating what Barassi achieved in winning 10 premierships as player and coach.

I’m in favour of the change. All the premiership magnets of our game have awards named after them, except for Barassi - McHale, Smith, Matthews do.

When the dust has settled, we look at things more favourably than we did at the time. For much of his career you’d be laughed at for suggesting a player like Dangerfield is one of the best footballers we’ve seen, but in 5+ years after he’s retired, plenty of us will acknowledge “hey, he was a little better than brilliant”.

I’m sure what Barassi achieved at the time was considered amazing. It looks far more amazing now though, as only Leigh Matthews has come remotely close to emulating what Barassi achieved in winning 10 premierships as player and coach.

I’m in favour of the change. All the premiership magnets of our game have awards named after them, except for Barassi - McHale, Smith, Matthews do.
I'm in favour of it too; I just don't like the "We have to do something now that he's died" vibe of it. Should have done it while he was still here.

"My team should have won more than 1 premiership in the last 8 years, but I don't want to blame the coach or the team so I'll latch on to what ever unsubstantiated theory I can".
No the opposite. He's saying the corrupt AFL ensured we won the premiership last year. Rule changes, SHocking, umpiring, that's right isn't it?

Dangerfield is a classic for it. He’s a 1 in 50 chance from 55-60, yet will continually go for it. When he’s on the sprint he’s a better chance, but as a set shot he just hooks it continuously from that distance.

In any American sport they would crucify him for the selection - the analysis is a lot better there. In AFL it’s encouraged to take the low percentage shot it seems. Long range, opposite foot pocket etc.
To be fair Dangerfield is a 1 in 50 from most distances.

Tuck?

I would honestly prefer the premiership cup just stays the premiership cup. I like that it isn't named after anyone.

If there is anyone to name the cup after, Barassi is definitely right up the top, so would be a great choice if they go down that path.

I would just prefer they honour him another way and leave the cup as is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back