Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

SUNS nickname i dont think will ever change, unfortunately. shame as Pirates would have been my choice, great for kids, logos, and even colours
I've always thought Port Adelaide should've become the "Port Adelaide Pirates". a black and white Jolly Roger flag as the club logo would go well with Ports colours. instead they opted for a stupid basketball name.

Haven't done this one for a while, but here goes: The AFL should make long socks "pulled up" mandatory for every player!

Andrew Demetrou actually banned players wearing ankle socks. Gil has just relaxed it. I agree though. Long socks look great and considering Danger and Buddy always wore their socks high, don't see the argument that it gives them that 1% advantage.

Andrew Demetrou actually banned players wearing ankle socks. Gil has just relaxed it. I agree though. Long socks look great and considering Danger and Buddy always wore their socks high, don't see the argument that it gives them that 1% advantage.
Our players are the most untidy of any of the Football codes, Soccer, Rugby, NRL, NFL etc all look ten times better than our shabby looking blokes. I also think the ankle socks don't help much with kicking for goal either. Andrew Demetriou was correct, over to Andrew Dillon now to fix this mess up!

Our players are the most untidy of any of the Football codes, Soccer, Rugby, NRL, NFL etc all look ten times better than our shabby looking blokes. I also think the ankle socks don't help much with kicking for goal either. Andrew Demetriou was correct, over to Andrew Dillon now to fix this mess up!
Who wears ankle socks?

our song would be fine if it was done in the style of the old style VFL ones - i mean many of those songs have trumpets and brass too, and if you watch the team sing it in a circle after a win (acknowledge you may not have seen such vision), its actually ok

jumper - almost everyone agrees 100% needs a redesign

SUNS nickname i dont think will ever change, unfortunately. shame as Pirates would have been my choice, great for kids, logos, and even colours

but yeh, on the song, if i could work out how to get AI to do the song in the style of the Fable Singers and post it and send it to the club, i would

Don't mind your colours, but yeah jumper is terrible. I'd also ad logo on that list too.

Pirates is actually pretty cool. I had The Gold Coast Irons (Iron man/women inspired) and the team could walk out to Black Sabbaths "Iron Man"...... But that's another unpopular opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m trying to find the controversial take here. Tom Lynch was compared to Kevin Durant for ages for this exact reason.

It doesn’t happen that often in fairness.
Terrible take, all players should be looking for premiership success, Lynch made the right decision and he hasn't left like Durant either.
He kept us together in 2019 when Riewoldt was out injured.

Dangerfield is a classic for it. He’s a 1 in 50 chance from 55-60, yet will continually go for it. When he’s on the sprint he’s a better chance, but as a set shot he just hooks it continuously from that distance.

In any American sport they would crucify him for the selection - the analysis is a lot better there. In AFL it’s encouraged to take the low percentage shot it seems. Long range, opposite foot pocket etc.
Not even just American sports. In cricket they use heavy amounts of statistical analysis with respect to shot selection (and everything else). From personal experience I can tell you Australian water polo coaches do the same thing.

Terrible take, all players should be looking for premiership success, Lynch made the right decision and he hasn't left like Durant either.
He kept us together in 2019 when Riewoldt was out injured.
All players should be looking to earn premiership success.

He left a rabble and joined a team who had won a flag and followed it up by dominating an entire home and away season only to fall at a prelim.

Don't let your bias get in the way, I'm not saying Richmond haven't earned their flags, I'm saying Lynch took the easy way out.

Don't mind your colours, but yeah jumper is terrible. I'd also ad logo on that list too.

Pirates is actually pretty cool. I had The Gold Coast Irons (Iron man/women inspired) and the team could walk out to Black Sabbaths "Iron Man"...... But that's another unpopular opinion.

The first indigenous jersey was good

1695983584596.jpeg

Last edited:

The Road Warriors coming out to Iron Man is still the greatest entrance in anything ever.

All players should be looking to earn premiership success.

He left a rabble and joined a team who had won a flag and followed it up by dominating an entire home and away season only to fall at a prelim.

Don't let your bias get in the way, I'm not saying Richmond haven't earned their flags, I'm saying Lynch took the easy way out.
Losing that 2018 prelim was proof we needed Lynch, so he didn't just get carried he was part of it and it worked out for both player and club another perfect example of this is Cameron to Geelong.

Losing that 2018 prelim was proof we needed Lynch, so he didn't just get carried he was part of it and it worked out for both player and club another perfect example of this is Cameron to Geelong.
And May to Melbourne.

Going back a bit Lake to Hawthorn too.

That one big player filling a key role an otherwise strong team is missing is absolutely huge.

I'm been cooking up this draft hot take for awhile

Teams should look to split top 5 draft picks for 3 mid-range draft picks every single time

Draftees are like used cars, usually their value goes down as soon as they play a season. Would you trade pick 1 for Cadman? Or pick 6 for DGB?

As an example, I used a random number generator for picks 2-5 v 13-17 + 22-29 + 30-36. Teams overvalue top picks, so they'd pay slightly over points value to move up and get their target.

2016 Draft
5 for 15, 22, 31

Will Setterfield for Jordan Gallucci, Jordan Ridley, Josh Begley

2017 Draft
3 for 13, 27, 32

Paddy Dow for Jarrod Brandner, Brent Daniels, Brayden Ainsworth

2018 Draft
3 for 16, 27, 33

Izak Rankine for Ned McHenry, Tom Sparrow, James Jordan

I'm taking splitting picks for the first two years and picking Rankine in 2018 - so 2-1 score. I did genuinely do these with RNG - even if you take a non-Dow top 3 pick, the same can be said for near misses with the lower picks e.g. Bolton, English, Fritsch.
the main issue with that is list spots

Leigh Matthews is over rated.

He was a top level player but wasn't felt to be the "best ever" when he played. His utterly selfish style gave him impressive stats but I feel he robbed his team if some success, very like Hudson.

Brereton recalled Matthews told him and other players to GTFO of his way.

Dunstall was a better forward with a more rounded game, far better defensively, better team mate too.

They all do. Well socks just above. Barely any wear long socks anymore. Blasphemy!

The recent cool trend to wear short socks is rubbish IMO.

Gotcha.

I don’t mind it really, I prefer the long socks rolled down look personally but that’s pretty minor. I do hate however though that players aren’t all wearing the same stuff.

I especially hate how the Crows have different socks for home and clash kits, and players constantly wear the wrong ones. Some of them even go odd socks at times. Just looks unprofessional.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back