Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Easy make it a permanent free kick against the team who touched the ball last before going over the line.

See the desperation to keep the ball IN play at all times.
Not a fan of it personally but, can see the appeal.

Numbers could be used to settle 90% of topics debated in new posts by the end of the first page.
But footy is so much more than that, otherwise we'd just be robots and everyone would agree Nick Daicos is the best chuck out the rest.

The fact there are different sized ovals that play afl is ridiculous

Soccer, basketball, nfl, the size of the ground is constant

The fact that the government has given $300 m to redevelop Kardinia Park, yet the AFL has not taken the opportunity to make it the size of the MCG is a disgrace.
Soccer fields are absolutely not the same size.

The fact that the government has given $300 m to redevelop Kardinia Park, yet the AFL has not taken the opportunity to make it the size of the MCG is a disgrace.

Soccer not so. Don’t even start on cricket

The ground was fitted in a quadrant of the park along with other facilities. The avenue of trees is gone but the footprint remains

All round the world piecemeal built stadiums have this issue

1715820444144.jpeg

Easy make it a permanent free kick against the team who touched the ball last before going over the line.

See the desperation to keep the ball IN play at all times.
I recon this for everywhere except within the 50m arcs, and take away the deliberate interpretation completely.

Ball goes out between the arcs - free against last touch
Ball goes out inside 50 - always a throw in

One of the great parts of our game IMO, offers another level of variety to each match.

Also allows teams to have some sort of identity in the way they play (ie Fremantle drafting fast players to use the space of Subiaco oval, Hawthorn using the width of the G to suit their 2012-2015 short kicking game style ect)

I can’t stand Chad Warner. Wouldn’t want him at port as he just drives me nuts whenever I see him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May be a tad of bias seeping through, but I think there is an over emphasis in AFL circles placed on the importance of teams winning multiple Premierships in a row (as opposed to winning them with gaps in between).

I.e., when people say things to the effect that Geelong didn’t win back to back flags, so therefore, they were not as good a team as the Hawks, Lions or Tigers etc.. In itself, I just don't think it's a very good argument.

At the end of the day, whether it's 3 in a row, 3 in 4 years, or 3 in 6, the same group of players (mostly) have ultimately achieved the same outcome of 3 Premierships for their club.

May be a tad of bias seeping through, but I think there is an over emphasis in AFL circles placed on the importance of teams winning multiple Premierships in a row (as opposed to winning them with gaps in between).

I.e., when people say things to the effect that Geelong didn’t win back to back flags, so therefore, they were not as good a team as the Hawks, Lions or Tigers etc.. In itself, I just don't think it's a very good argument.

At the end of the day, whether it's 3 in a row, 3 in 4 years, or 3 in 6, the same group of players (mostly) have ultimately achieved the same outcome of 3 Premierships for their club.
A popular opinion at the cats and the tigers

Just enjoy all your AA awards mate

By the way it's 4 flags in 8 years

Actually should specify 2008-2015, cos 1986-1991 was also 4 flags in 6 years. Or 1983-1991 5 in 9 years

Last edited:

Yeah, but you have that knob at your games with the full cat get up going on. If not for that, your run would be recognised as one of the greatest of all time between 2009-2022

A popular opinion at the cats and the tigers

Just enjoy all your AA awards mate

By the way it's 4 flags in 8 years

Actually should specify 2008-2015, cos 1986-1991 was also 4 flags in 6 years. Or 1983-1991 5 in 9 years
The Hawks are next level when it comes to dynasties. Every person who posts on this website has been alive to experience at least one of them, and in my lifetime they've been by far the most dominant force in AFL/VFL.

Sounds a lot like something that someone who had never seen back to back flags would say.

There’s a reason winning consecutive flags is revered and it’s the very reason Geelong have never done it. It’s bloody hard to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back