What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Riewoldt embarrassed himself on stage with The Killers.

Not so much the fact that he got up there and did it - but the aftermath where it was revealed that he kind of thought he was cool.

It was funny when it was a joke - you know, the drunken footballer crashes the stage and does awful karaoke on stage with a big name band. Like when Michael Slater got wasted at the AB Medal and crashed the stage and belted out Khe San?

But when he revealed the back story to it and almost made out that he was proud that he'd made it as a musician by achieving the goal of performing on a live stage - it was quite weird.

I like the Country game. Lived in Melbourne my whole live and it's a novel little side show to the game. Plus baby animals are always a great way to convince the girlfriend to come along.

I don't want Tom Lynch at Hawthorn and would consider anything north of $1m a season for a him a complete waste of money.

Obviously this isn't on the cards, but to put into perspective where we would be better suited focusing our effort, I would delist James Frawley and throw the biggest contract in the history of the game at Alex Rance. Our key defence positions have always felt like our weakest point. I believe Chip is only getting a game because there is no one else to replace him. Aside from a cracking grand final in 2015, he has done absolutely nothing else in brown in gold since he came over.
What else would you do?

Jack Riewoldt embarrassed himself on stage with The Killers.

Not so much the fact that he got up there and did it - but the aftermath where it was revealed that he kind of thought he was cool.

It was funny when it was a joke - you know, the drunken footballer crashes the stage and does awful karaoke on stage with a big name band. Like when Michael Slater got wasted at the AB Medal and crashed the stage and belted out Khe San?

But when he revealed the back story to it and almost made out that he was proud that he'd made it as a musician by achieving the goal of performing on a live stage - it was quite weird.

Yeah, i wanna like him, but you have articulated exactly why it is hard...

it is not my opinion of him that is in question... it is my opinion of his opinion of himself that is always in question.

What else would you do?

Do something we haven't done in a long time and go to the draft. It's meant to be a strong pool this year.
But I still reckon we need a bit more pace and class. Would rather Andrew Gaff of we are going the free agent route.
In saying this, I wouldn't be opposed to Lynch if he was on Vickery money. Lynch is a greater player obviously, but when you have cash to spend that can potentially cause other issues down the line in regards to player retention, it's worth breaking the bank over a guy who can kick a bag one week then get flogged by Liam Jones the next.

======================
This is the end of Part 1 of this thread.

Part 2 can be found here:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/what-unpopular-afl-opinions-do-you-have-part-2.1194685/

Last edited by a moderator:
Interested to hear some of the unpopular opinions people have and why.

For me:
1. I like Andrew Demitriou. I believe he has done a good job developing the game's brand. I like his no nonsense attitude in interviews.
2. I believe the games rules should be reviewed and sometimes changed. Players get better, coaches develop new tactics and strategies and so the game changes. Having a good institution to review the state of the game as a spectacle is healthy.
3.Lance Franklin isn't in the top few players in the league. That's not to say he couldn't become the very best player in the AFL. He misses too many easy goals. Anyone who has played sport knows that a failure to reward effort is deflating. He needs to become more accurate. This goes for all forwards - Kurt Tippett, Nick Riewoldt and our Lindsay Thomas of course.

====================
This is Part 1 of this thread.

Part 2 can be found here:
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/what-unpopular-afl-opinions-do-you-have-part-2.1194685/

My unpopular opinions seem to be getting more popular, like how the rules are killing the game, I think rolling scrums maybe even mentioned on the sycophantic foxfooty cash cow for former footballers, even Gerard Healey says the rolling nonsense scrums look woeful , it has to come out of the game. WHO TELLS UMPIRES TO HOLD OFF THE WHISTLE , THIS SIMPLY CREATES PACKS WORSE AND WORSE , any one know why we might want to resemble rugby.
I 've said that before too, so a few more unpopular opinions might be getting popular. I said several years ago on BF that umpiring decisions or misses, or just stupid petty rules and penalties would begin to cause results and xchange results and momentum , well its happening regularly, and in finals, so I think opinions that were unpopular are coming to the forefront like inconsistency in tribunal and MRP, like inconsistency in calling throws , like the fact that the game when you see so many handballs you want to scream kick the damned thing , even to get to your own direction and closer.
You know why there is an over kill in handball, its when players in generally lower clubs have not made position quick enough and the pace of the defenders has a great many players having no one to kick to, so they handball it off, I see that so far this season more than ever.
So we have a new game where scrappy packs are allowed to turn into giant rugby scrums, where in those packs free kicks by the ton are missed , throws are every where, the worst is the commentators saying how great it is, well they are all on a big fat FOXY AFL salaries , and you say nothing bad about our destroying of the fabric of real football.
There's more but I won't. I reckon my unpopular opinions are at last being spoken about publicly, and on TV , grow some Australian footballers and look at our mess at the moment, mess made of the greatest foot on field sport in the world, the hardest to adapt to at top level in the world , why is it mashed, are we trying to market this to the world to the detriment of our own special unique game.
OF COURSE THE BLEEDING AFL is doing exactly that !
Open your eyes footy fans.
AGAIN!!! my kids grew up in the 90's two of my boys , they have lost it with football, I have one of them who will only watch Hawthorn sometimes he tapes the game if he's working and if they lose he doesn't bother watching it, he is tribal and attached, like me to Hawks , he does not watch any other games, my other youngest has our family tipping contest he follows and I am not sure if he or my eldest boy both in Melbourne have even been to the football , yet.
My eldest, knew footy in the 80's , so you can imagine what he thinks of this rubbish now, 1 third great , 2 thirds crap. Out of nine weekend games maybe two or three a really good. The rest are rugby scrums, and teams with a diluted system that have dropped the level!
Any how some may have changed my opinion to I agree, instread of you stupid old bastard!

The game is the worst it’s been for a long time as well as the match day entertainment.
1. The coaches have killed the game as a spectacle. The defensive mindset the whole ground zones, any player with flair is being killed by having to conform to the “team” defence. I look at my team Collingwood. Alex Fasolo was languishing in the vfl why, because he had too much offensive flair and not enough defence. It’s happening at most clubs.
Where are the one on one battles. The ones that bring the crowd in. Eg Carey v Jackovic, Garry Abblet snr v any fullback, plugger v the whole opposite team. It’s gone, so is the 100 goal kicker. Buddy is probably the last of a breed. The coaches don’t want creativity and flair they want role players R.I.P. entertaining footy.

2. Match day: I don’t go to the games anymore I watch them on tv. The reason, the afl and the grounds thinking that the crowd needs to be entertained every second they are at the ground. From about 2 hours prior to the game the score board and ground announcers make some sort of noise constantly. There is not a second of quiet, it’s ads, replays, stupid American kiss cams, dumb on ground s**t. It stops the second the siren goes to start the game and starts up the second the quarter ends, not a second of quiet peace. It’s hecken ridiculous and it’s driven me away from the game.

3. The lack of VFL coverage by my club Collingwood. Apart from the ch7 games you would struggle to find any sort of coverage of the games. The odd twitter update and that’s it. But the flood of bullshit social media the club gives us for the afl is just mind boggling. All we ask is a replay of the vfl to see the future stars, every club films the games but don’t seem to give a s**t about the supporters.

Thanks that’s it for the moment.

Nat Fyfe is a frustrated and angry footballer because he is stuck at Fremantle and has become a thug on the field because of it.
This must be a recent problem for him since he had his chance to leave last year rather than signing a 6 year contract...Bet he is spewing he didn't end up at the Saints. He'll have to wear that one.

Anyway my opinion is that the state of the game is fine and people just like to romanticise about the old days. Kind of like how cricket was better in the 90s....except it actually was.

This must be a recent problem for him since he had his chance to leave last year rather than signing a 6 year contract...Bet he is spewing he didn't end up at the Saints. He'll have to wear that one.

Anyway my opinion is that the state of the game is fine and people just like to romanticise about the old days. Kind of like how cricket was better in the 90s....except it actually was.
St Kilda is no improvement over Fremantle unfortunately :(

From an opposition supporter, player or coaching perspective, when playing Fremantle, right now there is much more "fear factor" associated with Michael Walters than there is Nat Fyfe.

I would put more time into shutting down Walters than I would Fyfe. Just letting the latter roam free and rack up sexy numbers playing Heroball is probably a lot less likely to hurt you.

From an opposition supporter, player or coaching perspective, when playing Fremantle, right now there is much more "fear factor" associated with Michael Walters than there is Nat Fyfe.

I would put more time into shutting down Walters than I would Fyfe. Just letting the latter roam free and rack up sexy numbers playing Heroball is probably a lot less likely to hurt you.

this is pretty obvious lol. Walters is one of the most damaging players in the league when on song

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this is pretty obvious lol. Walters is one of the most damaging players in the league when on song

I feel people still get caught up in Fyfe's numbers though, without realising that he's not nearly as damaging as the gaudy contested ball and clearance figures may suggest.

I feel people still get caught up in Fyfe's numbers though, without realising that he's not nearly as damaging as the gaudy contested ball and clearance figures may suggest.
There is no way Fyfe is playing as good as 2011-2015 in my view. Lots of commentators say he’s back to his best, or better than Brownlow year. Not a chance! I have some of the 2015 games taped, he flew higher and hit packs harder and kicked timely goals. I understand he’s winning the
Coaches votes - he’s still All Australian, just not the same magic.
I hope for his sake Dockers get better before his athleticism fades. Fyfe legit dragged the Dockers from a 5-6-7 team to a Grand Final in 13 and minor premiers in 2015

Not happy with the umpiring?

Blame the AFL for wanting to badly to remove the biff and any risk it has of being open to legal action. Blame the players for thinking about legal action. Blame the outrage that the media and fans have over some hits.

In order to stamp out any chance of a melee, the umpires are instructed to be hot on everything, to keep the play going, to keep the players distracted from remonstrating.

99% of s**t umpiring is instruction, not execution.

There is no way Fyfe is playing as good as 2011-2015 in my view. Lots of commentators say he’s back to his best, or better than Brownlow year. Not a chance! I have some of the 2015 games taped, he flew higher and hit packs harder and kicked timely goals. I understand he’s winning the
Coaches votes - he’s still All Australian, just not the same magic.
I hope for his sake Dockers get better before his athleticism fades. Fyfe legit dragged the Dockers from a 5-6-7 team to a Grand Final in 13 and minor premiers in 2015
No midfielder has been superhuman this year - we've seen Fyfe, Dusty, Danger, Ablett, JPK, Pendlebury, Gray etc. all go up and beyond elite in recent years but simply no midfielder in 2018 is tearing the game apart. Fyfe has been the best midfielder so far but he is turning over the ball an awful lot in comparison to his past form and he isn't having a huge effect on results of games.

I think Fyfe is actually a fairly ugly man.

I don't find him ugly but I'm not attracted to him.

And I didn't find what he was wearing last night that visually appealing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back