What was your favourite quarter of the GF?

Which was your favourite GF quarter

• Q1

Votes: 37 46.8%
  • Q2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Q3

Votes: 41 51.9%
  • Q4

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Q3 - Looked like Syd settled in Q2 and we had not nailed our chances properly. If they kicked the first few in Q3 the margin would be back to around 20 and game on with plenty of clock. Instead we smashed them like last nights beers. Real boss play from the lads.

3rd quarter isn't called the premiership quarter for nothing.

A six goal margin that could be whittled away, quickly became a 9 goal margin with breathtaking footy from a side who were letting nothing get in the way of the mission they were on.

For me the first quarter, purely because I was afraid we'd get jumped and Hawkins would miss easy shots. Instead Stanley goes hulk-mode from the first bounce and Hawk kicks two out of the ruck. From that moment, I knew the team was on. After so many failed attempts over the years, the team was finally bringing their A-game when it mattered most.

First quarter. Deep down I was expecting the swans to start fast and apply relentless pressure to us, but we started on fire and it was quite clear we were on and nothing was stopping us, we just completely bullied them.

Q1.

Game wasn't over at quarter time but we were well and truly in it up to our necks and each goal - bang! was such a joyous moment. All the tension of the lead up that week just exploding before our eyes.

Nothing like first quarter grand final roars after a goal.

Q1.

Game wasn't over at quarter time but we were well and truly in it up to our necks and each goal - bang! was such a joyous moment. All the tension of the lead up that week just exploding before our eyes.
The 2 Smith goals were crazy. The 2nd one I nearly lost it, it was our day.

3Q. Once we kicked the third unanswered goal for the quarter I knew we were Premiers.

But loved the 1Q too. We were ‘on’.

4Q was a big yawn except for Joel and De Koning’s goals, and the final siren
That 3rd qtr was utterly fantastic - i could watch that 20-30 times - and i still wouldnt get sick of it - and im not a big AFL watcher in total minutes

Might be getting a tad carried away - but supporters of the current premiership winning team are allowed to - hah

But that 3rd qtr was that good - it was like watching Viv Richards batting back in the day - when he had his eye in - and he was in the mood - total destruction - and total excitement

That 3rd qtr was utterly fantastic - i could watch that 20-30 times - and i still wouldnt get sick of it - and im not a big AFL watcher in total minutes

Might be getting a tad carried away - but supporters of the current premiership winning team are allowed to - hah

But that 3rd qtr was that good - it was like watching Viv Richards batting back in the day - when he had his eye in - and he was in the mood - total destruction - and total excitement
Great analogy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first quarter was like a dream but even when the siren went I expected Sydney to hit back hard in the second quarter.

The start of the third quarter - bang, bang, bang with Duncan, Close and Smith goaling in the space of a few minutes - went from 'I think we can do it' to 'this is our flag.'

The way the players swamped Smith after that goal, they knew that was the sealer and it was just party time from there.

The start of the third quarter - bang, bang, bang with Duncan, Close and Smith goaling in the space of a few minutes - went from 'I think we can do it' to 'this is our flag.'
Ditto! I turned to my daughter at that point and said, "I'm calling it".

I fully expected Swans to make a comeback in the 2nd Q or even 3rd Q. Full credit to "the boys" for making the Swans play such uncharacteristic football.

Can't go past the 5 incredible minutes to start the 3rd when we went from geez we really should have buried them already to they are now 6ft under time to enjoy the next hour

Hard to separate the 1st and 3rd.

1st was the most satisfying as my biggest fear was that we wouldn't be "on"
We were united before proceedings - just about all players and coaches went over to cheer Neale on in his GF heat - tick
McClean tried to intimidate several players before the bounce - gave him nothing - tick
Started with ferocious attack on the footy and the man from the first bounce - double tick.
11 scoring shots to 1 was a phenomenal start , 35 point lead was amazing :thumbsu:

Hard to separate the 1st and 3rd.

1st was the most satisfying as my biggest fear was that we wouldn't be "on"
We were united before proceedings - just about all players and coaches went over to cheer Neale on in his GF heat - tick
McClean tried to intimidate several players before the bounce - gave him nothing - tick
Started with ferocious attack on the footy and the man from the first bounce - double tick.
11 scoring shots to 1 was a phenomenal start , 35 point lead was amazing :thumbsu:
Agree, but only with the benefit of hindsight. For Hawkins to kick one goal from a forward stoppage in the 1Q was great, but two was sublime. And for Isaac also to kick 2 goals in the 1Q was too good. As Daisy Pearce said, "Hot start". I kept expecting Swans to rebound but it never really happened.

When we kicked the 3rd unanswered goal in 3Q I turned to my daughter and said, "I'm calling it". In hindsight it was a pretty obvious call, but with the Swans you normally never know

Third. Terrible as they looked it was not over at half time necessarily. Pies came back from about that margin to just about pinch it the week before. We needed to snuff them out completely with a few early ones and pressure and is exactly what we did.

3Q. Once we kicked the third unanswered goal for the quarter I knew we were Premiers.

But loved the 1Q too. We were ‘on’.

4Q was a big yawn except for Joel and De Koning’s goals, and the final siren
can't say I yawned in the 4th- really loved party time with the goals you said, plus Parfitt, and enjoying the crowd reaction, the high 5's, the reactions on the bench- the stuff we have seen Tigers experience recently and been envious.

Loved the whole game, and have watched it so often, I think i can name each of the 20 goals in correct sequence!.

But the 3rd was just so powerful, to completely obliterate them when there had been a skerrick of hope for them at half-time. If having to pick, quarter 3.

Last edited:
3rd for me. First was brilliant, second we missed gettable shots and the Swans matched us on the scoreboard, so I was a bit anxious at halftime thinking the Swans might come out firing and we would rest on our laurels. But the team came out and blew them away so I was able to relax, enjoy the game and be confident that we would be premiers.

Back