What will our recent form and internal problems do to membership numbers in 2012?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dee31

Debutant
Jun 19, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
As much as I've said I'll never sign up again while Schwab and Connolly are at the club, I know that's not true. I'm Melbourne and having to deal with another couple of idiots derailing our club isn't going to change that - after 42 years I'm kind of used to it by now. However, I know from speaking to other Melbourne supporters that isn't a sentiment everyone shares.

So I was wondering how people think this 2011 season will impact on our membership numbers? We achieved record levels this year but that was prior to the club imploding. Will we continue to build on those numbers; will we lose members due to this season or will we just tread water until there's a genuine sign we're improving?

PS: After what we've been through with our team, our club and the Scully drama I think everyone should watch the movie The Club.

Nothing that some early 2012 season form won't counterbalance. Look at Essendon.

It's a very valid point. It depends on many factors although I don't think we will be hit too hard by what's happened this year. We have more passionate Demon fans signed up than ever before and they'll see the future ahead, rather than just basing everything on this year.

If we sign a big name, experienced coach then I think numbers will go up. I don't think Scully will have an impact as most are resigned to the fact that he is leaving anyway. If we can get things right again then numbers will continue to rise, although I have a feeling they will anyway.

i think if all the planets align and we can keep scully and all our players and manage to sign a high profile coach like malthouse then we can hit 40,000 members next year no worries

As much as I've said I'll never sign up again while Schwab and Connolly are at the club, I know that's not true. I'm Melbourne and having to deal with another couple of idiots derailing our club isn't going to change that - after 42 years I'm kind of used to it by now. However, I know from speaking to other Melbourne supporters that isn't a sentiment everyone shares.

So I was wondering how people think this 2011 season will impact on our membership numbers? We achieved record levels this year but that was prior to the club imploding. Will we continue to build on those numbers; will we lose members due to this season or will we just tread water until there's a genuine sign we're improving?

PS: After what we've been through with our team, our club and the Scully drama I think everyone should watch the movie The Club and see just how precient that
Up by 10,000 if we could land malthouse.

Ive said it before and I will say it again.......I believe its been a media beatup at best and not as bad as they make it. You did have 5 of your younger future stars sign up and they were acting as if everyone wants to leave...sure the issues are there but not as bad as what we read.

Connolly has to go I believe but after Admin getting rid of 5mil plus in debt and new sponsors I get why Schwab is staying - brilliant Admin person who just needs to be told by a strong coach/head of football dept to butt out every so often.

A good coach and a good NAB cup campaign will get rid of the negitivity

Ive said it before and I will say it again.......I believe its been a media beatup at best and not as bad as they make it. You did have 5 of your younger future stars sign up and they were acting as if everyone wants to leave...sure the issues are there but not as bad as what we read.
Correct :thumbsu: There are problems at most clubs and whilst we urgently need to address them, there's no reason to conclude that the club is self-destructing or that we are any worse than a number of clubs. We all know how the media beats up every story. Why would this be any different? I think the boardroom issues and the on-field issues are separate - they just happened to coincide at this time. One things for sure, if we land a top coach and improve our on-field performance, the media won't care about our board anymore. That's the best way to handle it.

I agree that it's a bit of a beat up. Implosion? Port is imploding: their board has 4 different factions all trying to kill the other, and half of whom want to actually kill the club itself for their own selfish reasons, their CEO is determining selection policy and their players just don't care about playing anymore.

At Melbourne, we've just lost a coach, there are whispers that the CEO is a bit of a stickybeak and the Football Directer has done bugger all for a year or two. I really don't know if it's all that it is cracked up to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back