Movie What's the last movie you saw? (4)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miles Ahead 8/10

A Miles Davis biopic. The trailer makes out like the it's a late-90's Guy Ritchie heist film, but it isn't. I really liked it, I'm a huge jazz/Miles davis fan though.

Sorry Landy. Eugene Levy is the dad from American Pie.
*phew*... I thought you were testing my Beach Boys knowledge there ;)

The relationship between Landy and Wilson is a major point of the film, along with the making of Pet Sounds. I don't think anyone (even Brian) is really in a position to say how closely the film is to the real life events, but it's definitely different from Landy's take. Either way, it's highly recommended from me (and critically acclaimed otherwise..)

I read Wilson's autobiography and it was just pretty much 'Mike Love Bad. Eugene Landy good' through the whole book. It seems he had a lot of control of Wilson for a very long time.

I haven't seen a Beach Boys biopic since that telemovie from the early 90s.

"I've got the burgers. I've got the fries. I've got the coke."

Based on reputation, I was expecting a 9 or a 10... hence the disappointment. Still a very good movie.
I had the same thing when first watching Goodfellas, thought it was decent but because my expectations were so high I was somewhat disappointed.

2nd viewing I was free from expectation and enjoyed it immensely, only then appreciating it's true awesomeness.

Expectation can be a killer. Kinda wanna try the Hateful 8 again for this reason, now my initial disappointed is out of the way.

Suicide squad

The casting was pretty on point

The writing was for two thirds of it terrible. The villain, meh.

Harley and deadshoot were fantastic. Captain boomerang was under utilised. Even leto as the joker was reasonable even if it made no sense from a story pov.

Disappointing from my expectations but entertaining, and not as bad as some reviews had painted it.

5.5/10

Says a lot about dc movies of late when that's not a disappointment

One quote sums up my thoughts on letos joker

His relationship, obsessively crafting Harley Quinn as his ideal partner, adorned and surrounded by the trimmings of stupid money (cars, clothes, pimp cane); the Joker feels like a consumer. The Joker should want to watch the world burn, not be one of the rich kids of instagram.

Last edited:
Just saw Eye in the Sky. What a fantastic movie. It raises a moral dilemma that has no easy outcome. The film is very tense and well acted. I'll give this an 8/10.

Last edited:
Jungle Book (2016) - good family film but could be a bit scary for toddlers. Great CGI animals. - 7/10

The Wolfman
- (2010) - quality horror with plenty of splatter. Also, good old school FX from Rick Baker who did 'An American Werewolf in London / X-Men / Hellboy' etc make this quite refreshing to look at - 7/10

Marauders
- (2016) - below average action with Bruce Willis and Christopher Meloni about crooked cops and professional bank robbers. Jumbled mess that was about 30 minutes too long. 4/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suicide squad

The casting was pretty on point

The writing was for two thirds of it terrible. The villain, meh.

Harley and deadshoot were fantastic. Captain boomerang was under utilised. Even leto as the joker was reasonable even if it made no sense from a story pov.

Disappointing from my expectations but entertaining, and not as bad as some reviews had painted it.

5.5/10

Says a lot about dc movies of late when that's not a disappointment

One quote sums up my thoughts on letos joker

His relationship, obsessively crafting Harley Quinn as his ideal partner, adorned and surrounded by the trimmings of stupid money (cars, clothes, pimp cane); the Joker feels like a consumer. The Joker should want to watch the world burn, not be one of the rich kids of instagram.

Saw that and I agree 100%. I didn't dislike letos joker at all and would be very interested to see all the stuff from the cutting room floor he spoke of. Would be good to see if the next solo Batman film had him in it as the main bad guy, and some story with Arkham.

Bad Boys (1995) - probably the best cop/buddy film since 'Lethal Weapon'. Enjoyable except for all the Bruckheimer slow-mo close up bullshit he forces into E V E R Y movie he produces... Other than that it was cool action with some good laughs. Part 2 is on tonight so I'll give that a go too I reckon - 7/10

Suicide Squad
Suicide_Squad_(film)_Poster.png
I hear this is getting some bad reviews, but I enjoyed it. A few pacing issues, a few characters too much/too little screen time, far from perfect, but yeah, enjoyable. Will Smith was very good, the action scenes were entertaining, fun soundtrack. Just a bit of a good, disposable experience at the cinema, let down by a reasonable amount of minor elements.

6.5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back