Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Train to Busan
Brilliant. Best zombie movie ever.

Elle - from the director of Basic Instinct, Starship Troopers, Black Book etc, this one had me hooked fairly quickly. I haven't seen much of the French female lead before but interested now to have a look at some of her other work - 7.5/10.

Elle - from the director of Basic Instinct, Starship Troopers, Black Book etc, this one had me hooked fairly quickly. I haven't seen much of the French female lead before but interested now to have a look at some of her other work - 7.5/10.

Watch The Piano Teacher.

Watched Nocturnal Animals last night and I just didnt get the whole point of it. If it was a revenge film, well Im under-whelmed.
The imdb / google mini synopsis is misleading in that regard IMO.

From iMDB: "An art gallery owner is haunted by her ex-husband's novel, a violent thriller she interprets as a veiled threat and a symbolic revenge tale."

I found this (coupled with the movie poster which features Jake Gyllenhaal looking rather sinister and brooding in the background) to be misleading as I was expecting the ex-husband to come back into her life in a creepy or stalkerish fashion, but no "veiled threat" actually materialises and the film finishes in fairly vanilla fashion.

Thought the movie was interesting enough and obviously well acted, just example of how reading these things before a movie can skew your enjoyment as they can lead to expect something different (or in other cases even just be blatant spoilers).

The imdb / google mini synopsis is misleading in that regard IMO.

From iMDB: "An art gallery owner is haunted by her ex-husband's novel, a violent thriller she interprets as a veiled threat and a symbolic revenge tale."

I found this (coupled with the movie poster which features Jake Gyllenhaal looking rather sinister and brooding in the background) to be misleading as I was expecting the ex-husband to come back into her life in a creepy or stalkerish fashion, but no "veiled threat" actually materialises and the film finishes in fairly vanilla fashion.

Thought the movie was interesting enough and obviously well acted, just example of how reading these things before a movie can skew your enjoyment as they can lead to expect something different (or in other cases even just be blatant spoilers).

I found it interesting and well acted also, but it ended flat for me and seemed to be no real point to the entire thing.

Southpaw

JG's character was so unlikeable in this. Just a dumb ****. The movie did skip alot as well.
<spoiler>dont know how you lose all your money in an instant. Won like 40 something fights in a row.

3/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched two yesterday

High Rise - Tom Hiddleston, Sienna Miller

In a word, weird. I didnt get it and when movies seem campy with British actors they just seem so much more campy. 4/10

Bleed for This - Miles Teller, Katey Sagal. Pretty good, didnt actually know the story but Miles Teller is amazing, Aaron Eeckhart and Ciaran Hinds as well. True story of Boxer Vinny Paz... something. Broke his neck in a car accident and recovered to box again. 8/10

Watched two yesterday

High Rise - Tom Hiddleston, Sienna Miller

In a word, weird. I didnt get it and when movies seem campy with British actors they just seem so much more campy. 4/10

Bleed for This - Miles Teller, Katey Sagal. Pretty good, didnt actually know the story but Miles Teller is amazing, Aaron Eeckhart and Ciaran Hinds as well. True story of Boxer Vinny Paz... something. Broke his neck in a car accident and recovered to box again. 8/10
I heard about this one, was told it was very good. Might have to check it out.

Interstellar: Second full viewing. Obviously it was a cracking cinema experience for me at the time. Some of the sequences are breathtaking and hold up well on second viewing. Now I understand more fully what was going on it was a rewarding second watch. 9/10

Silence
- Tough viewing in parts. Felt like it got better and more rich as the story unfolded Slightly more impressed with Garfield in this over his performance in Hacksaw Ridge. The Japanese actors were great particularly Tadanobu Asano (who played the translator). Cinematography was beautiful. I felt like Scorsese handled the whole thing quite well as he normally does. Did not feel like a great film but was very good and provided some great discourse about religion 7.5/10

Fences 6/10

Performances were excellent but the film was too long and the sheer volume of dialogue wore me down eventually.

It's based on a play but the way Denzel directed it, with so few sets and mountains of conversation...it wasn't any different, just felt like watching a theatre show, not a movie....so not sure what the point was.

But the actors do manage to carry it above par. Viola Davis, Denzel and Bubba from Forrest Gump all excellent.

Hidden Figures - Story of 3 african american women leading the engineering and calculations as part of the space race of the 60's. It was a touch corny and had that Forrest Gump overly sentimental feel to it but was really really enjoyable. Taraji, Octavia and especially Janell Monae were great. Costner and Dunst were also really good, i might just hate him but Jim Parsons was average. Incredible story, well done with overall good performances but just felt like it lacked something to make it great.

7/10

Toni Erdmann: The reviews were good and it delivered. Two great central performances. Some laugh out loud moments and some heartfelt drama. Wholly original and it really timed it's wacky humour to perfection. Very good. 8.5/10

Grimsby

Watched this on stan with the missus. She loved it and was in hysterics throughout. Im a fan of Sasha Baron Cohen, but this one felt a little bit lazy. Him and his on screen brother had f all chemistry. Some of the jokes were funny but I was a bit bored.

3/10

Rings.

I've seen some s**t in my life, but this movie would figure very, very high on my worst movies of all time list.

The plot is ******* horrendous and it's told in the most ridiculous, stupid way possible.

The acting is wooden and dull, the dialogue is lifeless and the entire film is deprived of any emotion... the actors put in zero effort.

I did like seeing Aimee Teegarden again, the main girl was also cute, but seriously * this waste of time.

.5/10

Honestly, I don't know what's scarier, the "tape that kills you" or this monumental pile of puke.

Trainspotting 2 - 8/10

Very Dark, Very Funny. Robert Carlisle was at his brilliant best. I went in not expecting the world as sequels very rarely deliver, but I walked out pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back