Where would these lists of NSW and QLD players finish if each was a team in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

1992 West Coast Premiership Team
B: McKenna (Claremont, WA), Brennan (East Fremantle, WA), Pyke (Claremont, WA)
HB: Worsfold (South Fremantle, WA), Jakovich (South Fremantle, WA), White (Subiaco, WA)
C: Matera (South Fremantle, WA), Kemp (Subiaco, WA), Waterman (East Fremantle, WA)
HF: Mainwaring (East Fremantle, WA), Langdon (Subiaco, WA), Lewis (Claremont, WA)
F: McIntosh (Claremont, WA), Sumich (South Fremantle, WA), Lamb (Subiaco, WA)
Fol: Harding (East Fremantle, WA), Turley (West Perth, WA), Evans (Claremont, WA)
Int: Wilson (East Fremantle, WA), Heady (Subiaco, WA)

Not a single player from Victoria.
And only one from the Falcons. They were dark days

Judd.

You're club is a franchise like the Paer

What is a franchise, what is a footy club, the legal structure, the members, bums on seats, season seat holders, passion- tell the brothers Scott who whinge about how loud the Eagles crowds are .... yep, a premiership captain & Brownlow ensures Juddy is an Eagles great no argument.

Absolutely unheard of in the modern era. Don Pyke, even though he was recruited from the WAFL and had earlier played at SoO level for WA, found himself representing NSW/ACT (against WA) and the Allies when the rules were changed (for the last time) in the early nineties. He had spent a fair bit of time in the ACT and obviously was considered to belong to NSW/ACT for SoO purposes.

His Dad played State footy for WA in the 60s, graduated from WA Uni before his career took him to the States, where Don was born ... noted Australian sports academic Frank Pyke who created an impressive sporting resume in WA football. He also made his name beyond Perth as a “decisive” sports administrator. He was visionary, ambitious and — as is noted of Don Pyke — clear in his thinking. He did not allow himself to be distracted.

Talented as an athlete and cricketer, Frank Pyke first made his sporting name in WA as a half-forward, midfielder and finally as a defender at the Perth Football Club. Thrust into league football in 1959 — at the age of 17 — Frank Pyke played 130 games for Perth, was a critical member of its 1966 premiership side, ranked third in the 1962 Sandover Medal count and runner-up in 1963 for the WAFL’s highest individual honour. He also represented WA in State football in 1963 and 1966.

It was the era when league footballers could also manage cricket careers — as Frank Pyke did while opening the bowling for Perth in WA district cricket.

Also in that 1966 side was Ray Mills, grandfather of Cal Mills, & Barry Cable who later went on to play a bit of footy for North Melbourne, coach too ..

who was your coach?
My coach? I'm not a West Coast supporter...

Contrary to popular belief on this forum, the world does not revolve around Victoria. Teams are capable of winning premierships without Victorians, just as Victorian teams are capable of winning premierships if they fill their team with non-Victorian players.

Both states have around 50/55 players on AFL LISTS and can put put good teams on the paddock.

The next test is to make sure or work towards both states putting 2 good teams on the paddock justifying expansion

Both states have around 50/55 players on AFL LISTS and can put put good teams on the paddock.

The next test is to make sure or work towards both states putting 2 good teams on the paddock justifying expansion

Agree with that. Ideally both NSW/ACT and QLD will one day in the next decade or two have 80 players each in the AFL.

His Dad played State footy for WA in the 60s, graduated from WA Uni before his career took him to the States, where Don was born ... noted Australian sports academic Frank Pyke who created an impressive sporting resume in WA football. He also made his name beyond Perth as a “decisive” sports administrator. He was visionary, ambitious and — as is noted of Don Pyke — clear in his thinking. He did not allow himself to be distracted.

Talented as an athlete and cricketer, Frank Pyke first made his sporting name in WA as a half-forward, midfielder and finally as a defender at the Perth Football Club. Thrust into league football in 1959 — at the age of 17 — Frank Pyke played 130 games for Perth, was a critical member of its 1966 premiership side, ranked third in the 1962 Sandover Medal count and runner-up in 1963 for the WAFL’s highest individual honour. He also represented WA in State football in 1963 and 1966.

It was the era when league footballers could also manage cricket careers — as Frank Pyke did while opening the bowling for Perth in WA district cricket.

Also in that 1966 side was Ray Mills, grandfather of Cal Mills, & Barry Cable who later went on to play a bit of footy for North Melbourne, coach too ..
Quite a family, that one! Don's brother James was a star cricketer for SA and footballer for Norwood, as well. I remember hearing of Frank Pyke many years ago as he was credited with rescuing the career of the great Dennis Lillee by somehow fixing his troublesome back.

Don obviously had a strong connection to WA and presumably that's what lured him back there from the ACT. Yet it does appear that he lived in Canberra from around about the ages of 9-18, well and truly covering the football "formative years". He played football there and represented the ACT in cricket at U-16 and U-19 level. WA connection or not, once the State of Origin rules were changed to something more sensible, reflecting not just where a player happened to be based, or where he might have passed through for a year or two, to cover where they spent the majority of time when they were actually learning the game (between the ages of 10-17), Pyke was rightfully classed as a NSW/ACT player.

My coach? I'm not a West Coast supporter...

Contrary to popular belief on this forum, the world does not revolve around Victoria. Teams are capable of winning premierships without Victorians, just as Victorian teams are capable of winning premierships if they fill their team with non-Victorian players.
Since the topic is being discussed I thought someone might find this interesting:-
upload_2017-2-25_14-21-22.png

This just basically backs up what we already know. Historically, SA and WA were capable of producing lots of premiership quality players, while QLD and NSW weren't. Therefore, Brisbane and Sydney were more reliant on Victorians in days gone by.

That's starting to slowly change now with the northern academies beginning to flourish.

Quite a family, that one! Don's brother James was a star cricketer for SA and footballer for Norwood, as well. I remember hearing of Frank Pyke many years ago as he was credited with rescuing the career of the great Dennis Lillee by somehow fixing his troublesome back.

Don obviously had a strong connection to WA and presumably that's what lured him back there from the ACT. Yet it does appear that he lived in Canberra from around about the ages of 9-18, well and truly covering the football "formative years". He played football there and represented the ACT in cricket at U-16 and U-19 level. WA connection or not, once the State of Origin rules were changed to something more sensible, reflecting not just where a player happened to be based, or where he might have passed through for a year or two, to cover where they spent the majority of time when they were actually learning the game (between the ages of 10-17), Pyke was rightfully classed as a NSW/ACT player.

The origin rules were a matter of convenience, e.g Jason Dunstall. Remember the fiasco over Mitchell White, even Brad Plain.

I see Don Pyke played U19 cricket for WA:http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/180/180273.html Not saying you are wrong Daics, just that the roots are strong.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The origin rules were a matter of convenience, e.g Jason Dunstall. Remember the fiasco over Mitchell Plain, even Brad Plain.

I see Don Pyke played U19 cricket for WA:http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/180/180273.html Not saying you are wrong Daics, just that the roots are strong.
You like to be difficult, don't you Kwality?! I'm certainly not wrong, mate! Click on his name in that WA U-19 lineup and up comes another page, which shows very clearly that he played at U-16 & U-19 level for the ACT (as I've already pointed out). He only went back to WA in 1987 it seems, by then he'd have been 18-19 and had (seemingly) lived in the ACT for at least 10 years, and learnt to play football (and cricket) there. So, strong WA roots or not, he certainly has to be claimed by NSW/ACT:- http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/120/120031/120031.html

Donald Lachlan Pyke
Born: 5th December 1968, Australia
Batting: Left-hand batsman
Bowling: Leg-break
Relations: Brother: JK Pyke
Teams: Australian Capital Territory Under-16s (Miscellaneous: 1983/84); Australian Capital Territory Under-19s (Miscellaneous: 1985/86-1986/87); All teams
===================================
I presume you meant Mitchell White (not Mitchell Plain)? I know there was a heap of fuss over him, with SA believing WA had "stolen" him somehow. The rules for SoO were quite ridiculous when the likes of Dunstall could play for Victoria and Maurice Rioli for WA, but when they finally settled on the 10-17 rule they made a lot more sense, though there were still a few cases where there was some doubt (I think Peter Burgoyne was another in that category).

On another (barely related) note, the wonderfully named Bruno Italiano was in that same WA U-19 team as Pyke! This would have to be the chap who Collingwood drafted many years ago. He failed to manage a game, which was a real pity!!

Last edited:
You like to be difficult, don't you Kwality?! I'm certainly not wrong, mate! Click on his name in that WA U-19 lineup and up comes another page, which shows very clearly that he played at U-16 & U-19 level for the ACT (as I've already pointed out). He only went back to WA in 1987 it seems, by then he'd have been 18-19 and had (seemingly) lived in the ACT for at least 10 years, and learnt to play football (and cricket) there. So, strong WA roots or not, he certainly has to be claimed by NSW/ACT:- http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/120/120031/120031.html

Donald Lachlan Pyke
Born: 5th December 1968, Australia
Batting: Left-hand batsman
Bowling: Leg-break
Relations: Brother: JK Pyke
Teams: Australian Capital Territory Under-16s (Miscellaneous: 1983/84); Australian Capital Territory Under-19s (Miscellaneous: 1985/86-1986/87); All teams
===================================
I presume you meant Mitchell White (not Mitchell Plain)? I know there was a heap of fuss over him, with SA believing WA had "stolen" him somehow. The rules for SoO were quite ridiculous when the likes of Dunstall could play for Victoria and Maurice Rioli for WA, but when they finally settled on the 10-17 rule they made a lot more sense, though there were still a few cases were there was some doubt (I think Peter Burgoyne was another in that category).

On another (barely related) note, the wonderfully named Bruno Italiano was in that same WA U-19 team as Pyke! This would have to be the chap who Collingwood drafted many years ago. He failed to manage a game, which was a real pity!!

I said I'm not saying you are wrong, its you who claim to be right, seemingly makesyou right.

One interesting aspect of the two teams is that the best forward for either team (N.Riewoldt and Walker) was drafted before the northern academies were established. In fact, both states seem to have a good history when it comes to producing key forwards with the likes of Carey and Dunstall being top 5 forwards of all time. It also appears we're about to see the next generation of special key forwards coming out of NSW and QLD this year. Connor Ballenden (198cm) and Jarrod Brander (195cm) are both predicted to be bid on with top 5 picks as they are supposed to be the best key forwards available in this year's draft class.

The two states are going to continue to produce top ten picks each year and soon we'll get to a point where there will be a legitimate argument to bring back State of Origin footy for the big 5 states of Australia.

One interesting aspect of the two teams is that the best forward for either team (N.Riewoldt and Walker) was drafted before the northern academies were established. In fact, both states seem to have a good history when it comes to producing key forwards with the likes of Carey and Dunstall being top 5 forwards of all time. It also appears we're about to see the next generation of special key forwards coming out of NSW and QLD this year. Connor Ballenden (198cm) and Jarrod Brander (195cm) are both predicted to be bid on with top 5 picks as they are supposed to be the best key forwards available in this year's draft class.

The two states are going to continue to produce top ten picks each year and soon we'll get to a point where there will be a legitimate argument to bring back State of Origin footy for the big 5 states of Australia.

The thing with these academy players is like the new toy, these Northern states players have always been there, i get the distinct feeling they are being rated higher than what they actually are, not saying they are no good, but rating them high by Victorian clubs sends a message to the AFL that the academies are unfair.

QLD always seem to produce quality big men, perhaps they have always been targeted, even before the academies.

One thing the GWS academy is doing more than anything is talent identification. I don't think they are actually creating these players so much as they are finding them because of the academy system, as the Riverina is producing a lot more top quality players in the last 5 years than they ever did in the past. It begs the question about how many potentially amazing players in the Riverina area missed out on being drafted in the AFL because the talent identification in that region was not good enough.

The thing with these academy players is like the new toy, these Northern states players have always been there, i get the distinct feeling they are being rated higher than what they actually are, not saying they are no good, but rating them high by Victorian clubs sends a message to the AFL that the academies are unfair.

QLD always seem to produce quality big men, perhaps they have always been targeted, even before the academies.
I see the point you're trying to make but I'm not sure the facts match up with the theory. Let's use the absolute elite academy players as an example. Isaac Henney, Callum Mills and Will Setterfield are the only academy players (so far) to be bid on with top 5 picks and we already know Heeney and Mills are superstars. It's obviously too early to judge Setterfield but he looked pretty in his preseason game last week.

So I think it's fair to say the kids at the pointy end aren't being overrated.
One thing the GWS academy is doing more than anything is talent identification. I don't think they are actually creating these players so much as they are finding them because of the academy system, as the Riverina is producing a lot more top quality players in the last 5 years than they ever did in the past. It begs the question about how many potentially amazing players in the Riverina area missed out on being drafted in the AFL because the talent identification in that region was not good enough.
It's a fair point. Instead of identifying, converting or even retaining talent, GWS seem to have created a channel for these southern New South Welshmen to reach the highest level of footy, when they may not have had those opportunities in decades gone by. Once we start seeing more players coming out of the areas north (and east) of Wagga Wagga then we can say the Giants are making gains in terms of the actual objective of the academies.

We've seen a few players come out of country towns north of Wagga Wagga like Temora and Cowra but we need to see more from areas further east towards Sydney. Bathurst would be a good example of a country town the Giants should be targeting. Then you just keep going east and you eventually end up at the Blue Mountain, ie. the western outskirts of Sydney.

I see the point you're trying to make but I'm not sure the facts match up with the theory. Let's use the absolute elite academy players as an example. Isaac Henney, Callum Mills and Will Setterfield are the only academy players (so far) to be bid on with top 5 picks and we already know Heeney and Mills are superstars. It's obviously too early to judge Setterfield but he looked pretty in his preseason game last week.

So I think it's fair to say the kids at the pointy end aren't being overrated.

It's a fair point. Instead of identifying, converting or even retaining talent, GWS seem to have created a channel for these southern New South Welshmen to reach the highest level of footy, when they may not have had those opportunities in decades gone by. Once we start seeing more players coming out of the areas north (and east) of Wagga Wagga then we can say the Giants are making gains in terms of the actual objective of the academies.

We've seen a few players come out of country towns north of Wagga Wagga like Temora and Cowra but we need to see more from areas further east towards Sydney. Bathurst would be a good example of a country town the Giants should be targeting. Then you just keep going east and you eventually end up at the Blue Mountain, ie. the western outskirts of Sydney.

Bathurst is actually not a bad town as far as footy goes, there is 2 footy teams in town both with seniors and juniors, the Giants have done some work there and one of the teams is called the Giants but it is clearly on the RL side of the Barassi line.

I think there has been some animosity about clubs stealing players from each other out there, someone may have a better idea than me though.

Condobolin has a team in the NRFL ( in and out ) and that would be the furthest town North that has any real footy history, and in the main most of the footballers from that town are from the western rural side of town, Shannon Noll would be the most famous Condobolin footballer and he comes from the Western rural side of town.

Condobolin is about the dead center of NSW.

It is a long slow process moving the Barassi line, far better off investing in Sydney and where the population in the main resides.

In fact i was wrong, there are two footy clubs in Bathurst but 3 senor teams as the league has no reserves, Bushrangers are a Bathurst club, that is actually pretty good for town like Bathurst.

2016 ladder

CURRENT LADDERPREDICT RESULTS
POS TEAM P W D L B PTS F A %
1 Bushrangers Outlaws 17 16 0 1 0 64 2014 724 278.18
2 Cowra Blues 17 15 0 2 0 60 1808 932 193.99
3 Bushrangers Rebels 17 10 0 7 0 40 1570 932 168.45
4 Dubbo Demons 17 10 0 7 0 40 1225 1218 100.57
5 Parkes Panthers 17 8 0 9 0 32 1062 1158 91.71
6 Orange Tigers 17 6 0 11 0 24 1288 1271 101.34
7 Young Saints 17 2 0 15 0 8 762 1952 39.04
8 Bathurst Giants 17 1 0 16 0 4 622 2164 28.74

In fact i was wrong, there are two footy clubs in Bathurst but 3 senor teams as the league has no reserves, Bushrangers are a Bathurst club, that is actually pretty good for town like Bathurst.

2016 ladder

CURRENT LADDERPREDICT RESULTS
POS TEAM P W D L B PTS F A %
1 Bushrangers Outlaws 17 16 0 1 0 64 2014 724 278.18
2 Cowra Blues 17 15 0 2 0 60 1808 932 193.99
3 Bushrangers Rebels 17 10 0 7 0 40 1570 932 168.45
4 Dubbo Demons 17 10 0 7 0 40 1225 1218 100.57
5 Parkes Panthers 17 8 0 9 0 32 1062 1158 91.71
6 Orange Tigers 17 6 0 11 0 24 1288 1271 101.34
7 Young Saints 17 2 0 15 0 8 762 1952 39.04
8 Bathurst Giants 17 1 0 16 0 4 622 2164 28.74

I think the Rebels and Outlaws names are redundant. If you are a Bushranger then of course you are an outlaw, and you are also a rebel as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back