Which clubs are in more trouble (Age wise) - 2016 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I did this thread last year but I thought I would do it again this year

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/which-clubs-are-in-the-most-trouble-age-wise.1082918/

For the purpose of this thread I am including anyone on a teams list that is over the age of 29 right now.

So which teams do you think are in the most trouble with how many players are approaching retirement age, and for your own clubs, how good a position do you think your club is in to replace these players?

North Melbourne (8)
(Harvey, Petrie, Waite, Firrito, Dan Santo, Wells, Thompson, Gibson)

Fremantle (8)
(Pavlich, Sandilands, Johnson, Mundy, Griffin, Dawson, Mzungu, Pearce)

Essendon (5)
(Watson, Goddard, Cooney, Stanton, Gwilt)

Hawthorn (5)
(Mitchell, Burgoyne, Gibson, Hodge Lewis)

Geelong (5)
(Enright, Bartel, Lonergan, Mackie, Taylor)

GWS (5)
(Johnson, Patfil, Shaw, Mumford, Griffin)

St Kilda
(Fisher, Riewoldt, Montagna, Dempster, Gilbert)

Western Bulldogs (5)
(Murphy, Morris, Boyd, Minson, Picken)

Sydney (4)
(Richards, McVeigh, McGlynn, Grundy)

Carlton (3)
(Simpson, Walker, Jamison)

Gold Coast (3)
(Ablett, Malceski, Rischitelli)

West Coast (3)
(Priddis, Butler, Lucras

Adelaide (2)
(Thompson, Van Berlo)

Port Adelaide (2)
(Schulz, Westhoff)

Richmond (2)
(Maric, Chaplin)

Melbourne (1)
(Vince)

Collingwood (1)
(Swan)

Brisbane (1)
(Marrett)

I did this thread last year but I thought I would do it again this year

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/which-clubs-are-in-the-most-trouble-age-wise.1082918/

For the purpose of this thread I am including anyone on a teams list that is over the age of 29 right now.

So which teams do you think are in the most trouble with how many players are approaching retirement age, and for your own clubs, how good a position do you think your club is in to replace these players?

Hawthorn (5)
(Mitchell, Burgoyne, Gibson, Hodge Lewis)
don't know about most trouble but the hawthorn list of 5 contains 3 all time greats and 2 exceptional players. they would want to stagger their retirements over a few years, all leaving in a year or 2 would be a massive hole to fill. but if any team can do it, would be the hawks have been the masters of recruiting the last 10 years or so.

Of the 5 clubs that were 'in the most trouble' last year, 3 made the prelim.
Being in trouble means that a club will struggle to replace the players when they go.

For Eagles - Butler easily replaced by someone like Nelson.

Priddis and LeCras will be hard to replace but currently i would say Sheed will take Priddis' spot with Duggan coming in for Sheeds spot at the moment. LeCras replacement probably not on the list currently tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only on Big Footy is age more important than actually being any good.

Young and good
Old and good
Young and s**t
Old and s**t

That's the hierarchy. I'm sick of this exact comment in every age thread. Freo are a strong team but surely you can see they are on borrowed time.

Based on the OP, West Coast, Richmond, Adelaide and Port are looking good. Bulldogs and GWS might have a down year or two at some point before hitting their zenith

Age is only a problem if the experience isn't there in the replacements

Experience matters, but it's more about quality.

Do you really think the likes of Mitchell, Burgoyne, Gibson, Hodge & Lewis can be replaced by just anyone if they get ~100 games into them? Hawthorn has a really strong list, but they don't have ready made replacements for those 5 just sitting around at Box Hill waiting to get a few games under their belt.

Do you really think the likes of Mitchell, Burgoyne, Gibson, Hodge & Lewis can be replaced by just anyone if they get ~100 games into them? Hawthorn has a really strong list, but they don't have ready made replacements for those 5 just sitting around at Box Hill waiting to get a few games under their belt.

Not referring to just Hawthorn

Of course that quality won't be replaced, but if there's players who can fill a role, ensuring the pressure isn't heaped onto the middle group (for Hawks, the likes of shiels, Smith and hill) it goes a long way to dismissing the vulnerability

Only on Big Footy is age more important than actually being any good.
Says the fan that's worried about the window closing. Age is certainly a factor, Hawks set the record this year with the oldest team and although I follow them it's going to be hard to win this year unless some good youth push some older players out.

Not referring to just Hawthorn

Of course that quality won't be replaced, but if there's players who can fill a role, ensuring the pressure isn't heaped onto the middle group (for Hawks, the likes of shiels, Smith and hill) it goes a long way to dismissing the vulnerability

OK, not just Hawthorn, but surely it makes sense that having more players that need to be replaced soon is more problematic than having fewer (especially as everyone who is still around after 10 years must be a quality player).

If you have players from within your 22 as the ones who will step up to replace these guys, then you need someone to come in and replace the guys who are stepping up, or you lose your depth...

Last edited:

I Agree, they don't have the players to replace that kind of talent. They are fortunate enough to have some very good talent already in the best 22 that will likely improve somewhat so that with some decent young players hopefully the slide won't be to severe. Can't see them dropping below 12th when the players mention do retire.

OK, not just Hawthorn, but surely it makes sense that having more players that need to be replaced soon is more problematic than having fewer (especially as everyone who is still around after 10 years must be a quality player).

If you have players from within your 22 as the ones who will step up to replace these guys, then you need someone to coem in and replace the guys who are stepping up, or you lose your depth...

Again I agree with you, As a Hawks supporter I am quite content with a likely decline in the next few seasons. Clarkson has done well and maximised what he could out of older players and not cut some when others may have, if that hurts the team in the short term I'm quite sure most Hawks fans will be happy with what they have achieved before the likely slide.
This should be of concern to other clubs supporters, as ruthless as some of the Cats decisions have been with veterans it was probably the long term best decision to make.

That's true

I think the replacements would need to be sitting around at another club waiting for free agency to arrive

Do you guys have anyone that might suit?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back