Which Geelong potato did you think would be a star?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hahaha Wills. Hey he had one very important kick, remember ;)

Did Garry Hocking say that about Biz? Fair dinkum wanted to kill him for saying that s**t.
Wills kick? Can't recall it. What about the Leigh Tudor kick- possibly the best prelim kick I can recall.
Buddha did suggest Biz was the new GAS. Recall it well, last game v Bombers, we beat them unexpectedly prefinals, which we were not involved in.
Bizzell was never a spud though. Not imo anyway.

Cameron Thurley (pick 22 2003) after his 4 goal effort in his second game. Went on to play another 5 awesome games for the cats.
Special mention Nathan Djerrkura.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Thurley kicked a few when we were flying early in 2005. A little slow I thought but had good goal sense.

Did anyone think Tom Gillies would be a star?

Not exactly as a star, but he was U18 AA FB with a thick frame. Still not sure why it didn't work out.

Peter Street. Used to love using him in AFL Live 99 because he was so tall.

I've always respected the Bulldogs for giving us pick 20 for him. Also the Swans for pick 35 for Chambers.

I thought guthrie was going to be a reasonable player. Boy was i wrong. To busy with drinking his own bath water after his 5 good games in early 2016.

I thought guthrie was going to be a reasonable player. Boy was i wrong. To busy with drinking his own bath water after his 5 good games in early 2016.

Pushing the envelope a little Warhorse?

Guthrie IS a reasonable player...perhaps not yet at the level we all hoped but he has time to raise his level. As for drinking his own bathwater...that's a little much..

Last edited:
Pushing the envelope a little Warhorse?

Guthrie IS a reasonable player...perhaps not yet at the level we all hoped but he has time to raise his level. As for drinking his own bathwater...that's a little much..

It's not that outrageous, I thought it wasn't far off the mark early in the year. Guthrie looked to me to be playing better later in the season.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not that outrageous, I thought it wasn't far off the mark early in the year. Guthrie looked to me to be playing better later in the season.

Agreed..later in the season he seemed to be performing better. One could argue that his injury against Richmond let Martin off the leash, who until then had been reasonably well held by Guthrie.

I'd like to think he is capable of taking a step forward in 2018 a la Mitch Duncan. Maybe not to Duncan's level, but a similar step forward would be most welcome.

I remember varcoe playing a really good game against collingwood and thinking he could be a top 10 player in the league. His run was fantastic and his kicking was sublime.

Agreed..later in the season he seemed to be performing better. One could argue that his injury against Richmond let Martin off the leash, who until then had been reasonably well held by Guthrie.

I'd like to think he is capable of taking a step forward in 2018 a la Mitch Duncan. Maybe not to Duncan's level, but a similar step forward would be most welcome.

I could even cope with him reverting to 2016 form at this stage.

Didn't rate him at all last year.

I thought he would be better than Motlop, Duncan and Caddy. He is nowhere near it. Was shocking this year. if geelong is to win a flag in 2018 he needs to take the next step

Stephen Hooper, our only #1 draft pick and dud of all mega-duds - he had knee issues from the start and then played about 10 games in total over several seasons, all absolutely putrid! :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

When he first came to Geelong, Motlop could have been anything... instead he became another of my predictions that went around the S-bend.

I was there the day Brian Peake was helicoptered in for his first game. I expected him to set the world on fire after that entry but can't remember him doing anything memorable during his career.

Picked them all to be stars... How wrong I was :$

Last edited:
I agree with earlier poster re Reynoldson - he had everything going for him but was dissappointing

Paul Lynch would have been very very good except for injuries

Geel also had ( back in Reynoldsons day ) a big left footed forward /backman - could take a screamer - forgotten his name ( he was that good - hey ) all he is remembered for - is for throwing some haymakers at Rhys Jones - out at Carlton one day .

Middlemiss maybe?

Woodman? Although he was probably just before Rhys's time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back