Which Geelong potato did you think would be a star?

Remove this Banner Ad

No - as an earlier poster mentioned - Paul Jeffreys was the one i was posting about - he put up vision of the stoush with Rhys Jones at Carlton

Middlemiss ( think he ended up at StKilda ) who you mentioned - he had white line fever though

I really like Clint Bizzel. Thought he was the man. For awhile anyway. Vardy was another I thought would be amazing. Adam houlihan was another I really liked. David Spriggs.
2/4 for me there.
Never thought much of Vardy or Spriggs (after year 1)
Like Bizz and Houlihan

Not a fan of the 'potato' terminology, but is anyone 'claiming' Billie after today's delisting?

I was a big believer after watching his pre-draft highlights video but rapidly lost faith once he began to play semi-regularly in the seniors with us.

Had enough skill, no doubt, but didn't appear to develop his game sense beyond a quite elementary level in all his time in the AFL.

His decision-making never appeared to markedly improve to me. And, unlike some here, I thought he got enough chances (admittedly not as many as some of the other prime suspects in this thread, though) to show what he could produce at senior level (with both us and the Tankers).

As a highly-rated junior, he must be very disappointed to be finishing up his AFL career at this relatively early stage.

Not a fan of the 'potato' terminology, but is anyone 'claiming' Billie after today's delisting?

I was a big believer after watching his pre-draft highlights video but rapidly lost faith once he began to play semi-regularly in the seniors with us.

Had enough skill, no doubt, but didn't appear to develop his game sense beyond a quite elementary level in all his time in the AFL.

His decision-making never appeared to markedly improve to me. And, unlike some here, I thought he got enough chances (admittedly not as many as some of the other prime suspects in this thread, though) to show what he could produce at senior level (with both us and the Tankers).

As a highly-rated junior, he must be very disappointed to be finishing up his AFL career at this relatively early stage.

Depends what you mean by 'claiming'.

I happily thought he would do better, as he did contribute quite nicely in both 2012 and 2013. Wasn't sure about the decision to try and make a defender out of him, but that's the way it goes. Reasonable to ask if it's worth the trouble with players that skinny who then get shoulder issues.

Can see the flak coming my way now.

No - as an earlier poster mentioned - Paul Jeffreys was the one i was posting about - he put up vision of the stoush with Rhys Jones at Carlton

Middlemiss ( think he ended up at StKilda ) who you mentioned - he had white line fever though
Middlemiss died for a couple of mins playing for GW after an accidental collision. Amazed that he went on to play 50 games of VFL. He did have whiteline fever and was well built. Fact he was a "son of" probably helped his elevation but he did improve markedly from the early 70's. Woodman probably had more football jumpers than any other footballer in the day but his 58 games of VFL was probably a reflection of his talent. A harder man probably never played in the GFL and he won B@F's all over the place. Paul Jeffreys was overrated from a young age a tall lanky player who was a golden child for Lloyd Williams probably the worst U/19 coach to ever be at Cat Land. Nevertheless he played 91 games so was no spud by any definition.

donald_trump_thumbs_up.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends what you mean by 'claiming'.

I happily thought he would do better, as he did contribute quite nicely in both 2012 and 2013. Wasn't sure about the decision to try and make a defender out of him, but that's the way it goes. Reasonable to ask if it's worth the trouble with players that skinny who then get shoulder issues.

Can see the flak coming my way now.

We'll get egged together.
Thought he was ok early and that the move to make him a defender was hurting him.
Decent skills and agility, good wraps pre draft but never clicked for him. Injuries helped keep him out of the team too.

GO Catters

I thought Ruggles was going to be OK, too. I know he had some rough times this year, but I was surprised to hear that he got delisted.

Ruggles got royally shafted though. There's no doubt his VFL form demanded senior selection- he was in the bests nearly every week before getting injured but somehow never entered consideration for a senior callup. There's more to his departure than form, ability, or team balance. I'm almost certain of that.

Legit thought Smedts would become a real solid half back flanker, completely fluffed that one, haven’t seen a bigger spud.
thought hed make it but not downback....

the agililty as a key for players in the lower levels ( under AFL level) now scares me with the smaller and thinner blokes.
Smedts had all the attributes of evasion and agility in the world and could not make it translate.

Sambono I think it is and the kid from WA or NT that is evasive just like Smedts worry me now.

GO Catters

David Johnson was no potato

Agree. He used to always do a number on Jason Akermanis when we played Brisbane from 2004 onwards. Johnson was actually missing in that game where Aker kicked those two freak goals in a minute from the boundary.

thought hed make it but not downback....

the agililty as a key for players in the lower levels ( under AFL level) now scares me with the smaller and thinner blokes.
Smedts had all the attributes of evasion and agility in the world and could not make it translate.

Sambono I think it is and the kid from WA or NT that is evasive just like Smedts worry me now.

GO Catters
I think the lack of footy smarts hurt him in the end , doesn’t come across as someone who could understand complicated game tactics or set ups

Remove this Banner Ad

Back