Review Which spud did you think was going to be a star?

Remove this Banner Ad

In recent times, I remember looking at Brad McKenzie's draft videos and thinking we had just got a steal at 18 with that booming left peg. Just a shame he actually couldn't play footy.

As a kid, I thought Peter Mann would be an absolute star for us. Could have been the cool name though. Did have a decent career at Freo at least.

Bastinac for me as well.

I was convinced he'd be a star and our Pendlebury. Thought he was better than Cunners. :oops:

I think the problem was that he did too. Huge talent.

A mate of mine worked with him for a while. Told him that he massive regrets that he didn't work hard enough.

From my neck of the woods. There was a rumor around town after he finished footy that he was involved in a bit of male gigolo action.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibson, S.Harvey, Hansen, Kennedy, Greenwood, Black, Pederson.

S. Harvey, Kennedy and to an extent, Greenwood, never did anything after leaving us so it would suggest that they were closer to the spud end of the spectrum than you suggest.

And if we're going back a long time, Doug Smith was the one who seemed to have it all but with the exception of a blinder of a last quarter in a GF we had already lost, did nothing.

Was very excited when we got Rod Lewis from Fitzroy, too, but it didn't work out.

S. Harvey, Kennedy and to an extent, Greenwood, never did anything after leaving us so it would suggest that they were closer to the spud end of the spectrum than you suggest.

And if we're going back a long time, Doug Smith was the one who seemed to have it all but with the exception of a blinder of a last quarter in a GF we had already lost, did nothing.

Was very excited when we got Rod Lewis from Fitzroy, too, but it didn't work out.

- S. Harvey was a very good player that Laidley couldn't motivate.
- Ayden Kennedy blitzed the VFL in between injuries and is probably the unluckiest North player I have seen that never played seniors.
- Levi was treated abysmally and he should be releasing JZ right now.
- Hansen: Butchered from day 1.
- Josh Gibson: Should not have been expected to take on KPF for so long without the club fixing the problem.
- Black: It was patently obvious that he couldn't take an overhead contested mark and should have been tried out in defence in his 2nd year.
- Pederson: Massively under utilised. It was a ****ing disgrace as to why he was moved on.
- Sav Rocca: should have played a lot more senior games.

The most monumental * up was Kenny Hunter showing up at North to train and everybody ignoring him.

Last edited:
- S. Harvey was a very good player that Laidley couldn't motivate.
- Ayden Kennedy blitzed the VFL in between injuries and is probably the unluckiest North player I have seen that never played seniors.
- Levi was treated abysmally and he should be releasing JZ right now.
- Hansen: Butchered from day 1.
- Josh Gibson: Should not have been expected to take on KPF for so long without the club fixing the problem.
- Black: It was patently obvious that he couldn't take an overhead contested mark and should have been tried out in defence in his 2nd year.
- Pederson: Massively under utilised. It was a ****ing disgrace as to why he was moved on.
- Sav Rocca: should have played a lot more senior games.

The most monumental **** up was Kenny Hunter showing up at North to train and everybody ignoring him.

I only picked out 3 as I agreed with the others. Clearly Harvey and Kennedy weren't good enough to overcome "poor treatment" at North, which in my book says they were the problem, not us.

Levi is not worth what Collingwood pay him, pure and simple. We (eventually) got his market value right, they paid overs due to desperation. We didn't treat him abysmally at all - his only two seasons that weren't below average were the 'final year of a contract' seasons. We were bitten once, we didn't want to be bitten again.

In fairness, outside of the top three (Riewoldt, Koschiztke, Didak) it's probably the worst top ten in draft history. A real shame however that Burgoyne, Kerr, Cornes and Thompson all went 12-20.

I can tell you when we got Shannon's brother, Vic Country Captain and Vic Metro Captain with our first three picks I was pretty happy.

If we are going back that far surely Stephen Easton has to be added to the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back