Which team is in most trouble age wise - 2017 edition

Which team is in the most trouble age wise?

• Adelaide

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 10 1.6%
  • Carlton

Votes: 22 3.6%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 15 2.4%
  • Essendon

Votes: 21 3.4%
  • Fremantle

Votes: 135 22.0%
  • Geelong

Votes: 71 11.6%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • GWS

Votes: 11 1.8%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 200 32.6%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 144 23.5%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • Richmond

Votes: 25 4.1%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 12 2.0%
  • Sydney

Votes: 29 4.7%
  • West Coast

Votes: 125 20.4%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 10 1.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to generic and you can have 3 players on your list just over 30 playing the last year out of a contract in the 2nds but according to the online world your team is screwed for a decade cause you have 1 more bloke on your roster over 30 than what the other team who just played finals has!!

Only on the Internet is it more important to be young than actually have talent.

#noteverykidmakesit

Wouldn't it be fair to say that the OP has that accounted for?

It doesn't merely state who has the most over a certain age, of which shallow analysis would undoubtedly be formed. It also does state the names. For Carlton, you won't miss Silvagni, Rowe (imo) or Armfield all that much.

I'd say Hawthorn, Fremantle and West Coast have the most problems with older talent structurally.

Hodge, Burgoyne, Gibson have all been vital players and we're not yet sure how the departures of Mitchell and Lewis will affect things.

Sandilands is massive for Freo, Mundy is still quality and won't be easily replaced.

West Coast has a big issue once Kennedy and Priddis go, along with Hurn holding down a key spot in the Defence (and being Captain) which leaves them with big holes all over the ground.

GWS wise it's really only Mumford I see as being hard to replace, they have buckets of midfield talent still playing in the NEAFL but Mumford is a beast for them.

Honourable mention goes to the Dogs with older talent, though personally I think they should be able to cover them given Murphy barely played, with Boyd and Morris being forced to play more games due to the teams injuries.

I'd say Hawthorn, Fremantle and West Coast have the most problems with older talent structurally.

Hodge, Burgoyne, Gibson have all been vital players and we're not yet sure how the departures of Mitchell and Lewis will affect things.

Sandilands is massive for Freo, Mundy is still quality and won't be easily replaced.

West Coast has a big issue once Kennedy and Priddis go, along with Hurn holding down a key spot in the Defence (and being Captain) which leaves them with big holes all over the ground.

GWS wise it's really only Mumford I see as being hard to replace, they have buckets of midfield talent still playing in the NEAFL but Mumford is a beast for them.

Honourable mention goes to the Dogs with older talent, though personally I think they should be able to cover them given Murphy barely played, with Boyd and Morris being forced to play more games due to the teams injuries.
This Mummy thing annoys me a bit, and seems to be rooted in our falling off in the second half of 2015. The fact that all teams full of young talent struggle to play consistently, and often fall off at the end of the season is ignored.
Mummy is a great player for us and he deserves to remembered as a guy rhat did a lot more than his share to build our first competitve team. His work as a big tough midfielder is outstanding, but Rory is probably our best tap ruck now. The word from the club is Matthew Flynn is ready to break out with a couple of off seasons now to build strength and weight on his frame. His NEAFL form was great towards the end of last year.
I hope there'll be a natural changing of the guard through 2018, injuries the obvious risk. Clearly we hung on to Downie to mitigate that risk.

I suspect a natural changing of the guard to occurr in 2018 barring injuries.

Kennedy is irreplaceable, but off of back to back coleman medals one would think he's good for another 3 maybe 4 seasons. Need to draft a key forward next draft I'd say.

Priddis a lot of our own supporters don't even rate, yes he is an excellent extractor and has been a very very good servant but with the emergence of Shuey as a genuine A grader, potential young stars like Sheed and Duggan tipped to become A graders along with some decent midfield soldiers like Hutchings, Redden and Masten we think we are okay. Daniel Venables and Luke Partington our first picks in the last two drafts are also mids who are yet to debut.

Hurn should be succeeded by Shuey in 2018.

Abasi, please tell me how many free agents will be desperate to jump on a sinking ship? Your current teams time is done pal, about time you took the brown and gold glasses off and realise that nothing so good can last forever. The more you keep trying to bring in UFA's and DFA's, clubs will match to stop you guys, personally I think clubs are getting jack of your mob trying to pick blokes off.. You have 0 trade assets this year and if I were a rival club I'd match any reasonable bid hawthorn put on a player. And if the Hawks want to be unreasonable about it your salary cap will be in strife. That's when your own are gonna get picked off. At some stage you have to hit the draft and cop your rebuild. GW and Clarko are extremely good operators but they can't work miracles.
You really can't see the reality that's about to smack you between the eyes..
If we are also talking hypotheticals, hypothetically, Roughead will never be the same post his treatment coming back as a 30 y.o, Hodge may fall off a cliff with Gibson and Burgoyne and omeara is every chance to do his knee again. Where does that leave you when trying to attract talent the calibre of Trengove and Rockliff?
Did you cut and paste this post from last year?

No one was going to join Hawthorn then either, especially not O'Meara.
How'd that work out for you?

Hawthorn will remain a destination club even when Burgoyne and Hodge retire, regardless of all your hoping and wishing.

Hawthorn will remain a destination club even when Burgoyne and Hodge retire, regardless of all your hoping and wishing.
lol..

Jaeger and Tom Mitchell nominate Hawthorn... and yet no one wants to come here.... okey dokey..

Looking forward to FAs lining up at the end of 2017! Its gonna be a sweeeeet ride

Stratton can not play the Gibson role and hodge is cooked
The last line of his post was a tad more amusing and is an indication that he doesn't watch many Geelong games. Henderson was our best tall defender last year in a defence ranked #2 in the competition.

-

LOL okay... I know who's hoping and wishing now. The only team that has managed to stay up permanently has been Sydney, and guess what? They hit the draft every year and have been extremely lucky with their academy. But hawthorn apparently have some magic dust that they can sprinkle and everything will be okay.
My hypothetical isn't something I'm hoping and wishing for but it's certianly more realistic than yours which is why you obviously reverted to a smart ass comment about copying and pasting from last year, I only joined this site a couple of days ago after a long time reading and not contributing. But last year you were already saying fourthorn etc. what happened that? I'll jog your memory, scraped into the top 4 and were kicked out in Straight sets. Be lucky to touch the 8 for the next 5 years let alone win a final. As such your destination club status will fade.

lol..

Jaeger and Tom Mitchell nominate Hawthorn... and yet no one wants to come here.... okey dokey..

Looking forward to FAs lining up at the end of 2017! Its gonna be a sweeeeet ride
You're a better poster than to post with arrogance and entitlement. Leave that to the others who frequent this board.

Cyril disagrees
And I disagree that Cyril forms your best players group. Shall we ignore that for now because this isn't the time or place to debate specifics about Rioli.

You've lost your winner and runner-up in your club championship and Burgoyne finished 3rd and he's 34 years old. Birchall finished 4th and If this thread was started in 3 weeks time he'd be added to the list in the OP. He's almost 29 and he's slowed significantly. Rioli himself is 28 this year and isn't considered 'youth' in anybodies language... he finished 5th.

The two players who could be considered youngish from your top 10 finish in your B&F are Gunston and Breust and they finished 7th and 10th respectively. So like I said, your best players are still your elder statesmen.

You're a better poster than to post with arrogance and entitlement. Leave that to the others who frequent this board.
Is it arrogant to posit that players want to nominate Hawthorn as their club of choice after illustrating it with two recent examples - and responding to Longjohnmire's post that no player will want to come to Hawthorn? My phrasing was a little rash perhaps but my point still stands

It's gonna be sweeeeet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol..

Careful pal, head keep wobbling it'll fall off. You or your mate abasi still haven't addressed anything I questioned in my original post, it's just reverting to the same old crap. Just BTW I don't know where you get the feeling to be arrogant towards me when talking footy, you haven't contributed to the Hawthorn dynasty any more than maybe financially if you actually are a member.

Is it arrogant to posit that players want to nominate Hawthorn as their club of choice after illustrating it with two recent examples - and responding to Longjohnmire's post that no player will want to come to Hawthorn? My phrasing was a little rash perhaps but my point still stands

It's gonna be sweeeeet
You're assuming you'll nab more free agents and out of contract players. The last 4 words of your post implies as such. It reeks of arrogance and entitlement. I thought you were a better poster than that... I assumed incorrectly.

Now after my response do you still think your best players aren't your elder statesmen?

The arrogance. It truly is astounding.
Enjoy your slide down the ladder.

I went with Hawthorn, West Coast and an unpopular one, the Western Bulldogs - none of their groups are pretty and when they retire, they will leave large gaps in their respective lineups.
Hawthorn are pretty obvious ...
West Coast - if they fail to cover Mitchell and Priddis before they retire, their midfield is dead. They are also yet to draft a Kennedy heir so as it stands, they look like they'rei n trouble, and need to draft well to avoid a plunge. Butler and Hurn are soldiers who aren't impossible to replace but their presence will be missed, LeCras and Petrie don't offer too much though.

Western Bulldogs - ....

The assessment of Le Cras is dubious at best - some base it on the number of goals (38 in 2016) obviously well behind his best (63 in 2010). The team game plan has changed from 2010 to 2016 (now that's the bleedin' obvious ignored by many) with Le Cras running thru the midfield far more in 2016 than 2010.

Sure his form on the road generally was poor, but he was not alone. Not over yet IMHO.

Age is not the Eagles problem in 2017, the underperforming 2015 recruits in Lewy Jetta & Jack Redden need perform or 2017 should be their last in AFL footy.

Last edited:
-

LOL okay... I know who's hoping and wishing now. The only team that has managed to stay up permanently has been Sydney, and guess what? They hit the draft every year and have been extremely lucky with their academy. But hawthorn apparently have some magic dust that they can sprinkle and everything will be okay.
My hypothetical isn't something I'm hoping and wishing for but it's certianly more realistic than yours which is why you obviously reverted to a smart ass comment about copying and pasting from last year, I only joined this site a couple of days ago after a long time reading and not contributing. But last year you were already saying fourthorn etc. what happened that? I'll jog your memory, scraped into the top 4 and were kicked out in Straight sets. Be lucky to touch the 8 for the next 5 years let alone win a final. As such your destination club status will fade.
Whether you choose to admit it or not, Hawthorn is an innovative and very well run club, with a great coach and a great culture which players and managers are more than willing to have discussions with about joining. Geelong and Sydney also fall into this bucket, no surprise. Both of those clubs have also been able to attract players from elsewhere, and will continue to do so.

You're not being realistic at all, you're being dismissive of a club who have a proven track record of attracting and acquiring players, and you're making out like it all means nothing despite the available evidence and will end immediately, because you say(hope) so.

Gotta laugh at your statement about being a new poster, who has just joined. Nice touch.

Whether you choose to admit it or not, Hawthorn is an innovative and very well run club, with a great coach and a great culture which players and managers are more than willing to have discussions with about joining. Geelong and Sydney also fall into this bucket, no surprise. Both of those clubs have also been able to attract players from elsewhere, and will continue to do so.

You're not being realistic at all, you're being dismissive of a club who have a proven track record of attracting and acquiring players, and you're making out like it all means nothing despite the available evidence and will end immediately, because you say(hope) so.

Gotta laugh at your statement about being a new poster, who has just joined. Nice touch.
Now your putting words in my mouth.

I did clearly state that you are a very well run club, totally agree. I'm not dismissing you guys completely just questioning you on the aqusition of more FAs to a team that is over the hill age wise IMO. I also stated that I think clubs are getting jack of it and if they decide to match any reasonable offer that the Hawks put forward, your truly screwed because of coming in at the back end of the 2nd round in draft. No more future 1st trading for a couple of years for your mob also as you must use 2 in a 4 year period. None taken this yr, none next.
Your opinion obviously isn't going to change because of what I type, but look at the poll on the thread, is everyone else wrong regarding your list profile and age demographic? I'm not as obsessed with your mob as you are with mine(I see all of your subtle trolling re the scandal), I'm not trying to troll you I'm genuinely curious about what the future holds for you guys as the extremely aggressive approach already cost you lewis this year as he got the shits with clarko after the convo about a trade! I don't think you can go on forever like you guys are, no matter how well run you are. The backbone of what your premierships were built on was thru the draft, once that has been in place trading/FA and all has been very successful, but you don't get the same value from trading as you do from drafting. Therefore I thing there is a wall coming and you will need to hit the draft again.

And if that's a threat at the end there we can take this further, I was on this site a long time ago and deactivated due to over moderation. If you want to use all of your mod powers to check up on me go for it. I've got nothing to fear from what little power you yield as an internet moderator. I never made it personal, you just did. Which I though was exactly what your supposed to moderate off the site.

How about you keep the topic on football like me, like we are supposed to. Not making it personal.

Is he the only one though?

I did clearly state that you are a very well run club, totally agree. I'm not dismissing you guys completely just questioning you on the aqusition of more FAs to a team that is over the hill age wise IMO. I also stated that I think clubs are getting jack of it and if they decide to match any reasonable offer that the Hawks put forward, your truly screwed because of coming in at the back end of the 2nd round in draft. No more future 1st trading for a couple of years for your mob also as you must use 2 in a 4 year period. None taken this yr, none next.
Your opinion obviously isn't going to change because of what I type, but look at the poll on the thread, is everyone else wrong regarding your list profile and age demographic? I'm not as obsessed with your mob as you are with mine(I see all of your subtle trolling re the scandal), I'm not trying to troll you I'm genuinely curious about what the future holds for you guys as the extremely aggressive approach already cost you lewis this year as he got the shits with clarko after the convo about a trade! I don't think you can go on forever like you guys are, no matter how well run you are. The backbone of what your premierships were built on was thru the draft, once that has been in place trading/FA and all has been very successful, but you don't get the same value from trading as you do from drafting. Therefore I thing there is a wall coming and you will need to hit the draft again.

And if that's a threat at the end there we can take this further, I was on this site a long time ago and deactivated due to over moderation. If you want to use all of your mod powers to check up on me go for it. I've got nothing to fear from what little power you yield as an internet moderator. I never made it personal, you just did. Which I though was exactly what your supposed to moderate off the site.

How about you keep the topic on football like me, like we are supposed to. Not making it personal.
We used 2 last year on Burton and Lovell, so we are fine to trade out our 2018 pick mate :thumbsu:

You're assuming you'll nab more free agents and out of contract players. The last 4 words of your post implies as such. It reeks of arrogance and entitlement. I thought you were a better poster than that... I assumed incorrectly.

Now after my response do you still think your best players aren't your elder statesmen?
Totally assuming we will. Have a great coach, a great forward line and some ageing midfielders on their way out at the same time that there are mid Free agents looking for a better club. We are clearly building a war chest. It would be a bit silly to think that Hawthorn is not going to target free agents to be honest. The club itself has made it clear that Free Agency is something we will likely take advantage of.

Most posters know that this is the likely intention of the club. Where you and I differ is that you think that there is no way a player will want to come to Hawthorn and I can assume that if I don't agree with you that no player will want to come and that Hawthorn is on the slide that I am arrogant... I disagree with you and direct you to two recent examples of players nominating Hawthorn and it makes no difference....

Nice trolling Nakia. Have a happy new year;);););)

I just don't agree. We replaced Sammy and Lewis immediately through trades. So far - so good.

Two free agents to replace Burgers, Hodge and or Gibson could definitely work.

The rest of the list is at a pretty good age.

That said, like WC, my concern is a tall forward going forward. When Rough retires I am bit worried.

Last edited:
Totally assuming we will. Have a great coach, a great forward line and some ageing midfielders on their way out at the same time that there are mid Free agents looking for a better club. We are clearly building a war chest. It would be a bit silly to think that Hawthorn is not going to target free agents to be honest. The club itself has made it clear that Free Agency is something we will likely take advantage of.

Most posters know that this is the likely intention of the club. Where you and I differ is that you think that there is no way a player will want to come to Hawthorn and I can assume that if I don't agree with you that no player will want to come and that Hawthorn is on the slide that I am arrogant... I disagree with you and direct you to two recent examples of players nominating Hawthorn and it makes no difference....

Nice trolling Nakia. Have a happy new year;);););)
I'm sorry but what has happened in the past has no bearing on the future. You assuming that players will continue to want to come to Hawthorn reeks of entitlement and arrogance.

Also, when on this part of the forum I don't troll. We're getting off topic so please respond to my post that suggests your older players are still your best players instead of dancing around the issue.

Back