Who’s the top 20 players you have ever SEEN play?

Remove this Banner Ad

Too hard and I am too biased towards Richmond players so I'll try the best 20 non Richmond players I have seen.
1. Gary Ablett Senior - Absolute freak who I loved watching play except when he destroyed Richmond.
2. Alex Jeasulenko - Hated Carlton but Loved Jezza.
3. Ian Stewart - His St Kilda years were extraordinary.
4. Leigh Matthews - Goals, impact, longevity, mongrel, flags... he had it all.
5. Simon Madden - Best goal kicking ruckman ever.
6. Wayne Carey - Carried North and is the second best CHF ever. :p
7. Peter Hudson - That build should never have been as good as he was.
8. Garry Wilson - Shame that he wasn't in a better team for most of his career, super courageous.
9. Greg Williams - Mongrel but a genius mongrel.
10. Tony Lockett - Frightening.
11. Doug Hawkins - Pure footballer.
12. Robert Flower - Skinny, targeted because he was his team's only decent player, jet!
13. Peter Daicos - Super skilled and what a goal kicker.
14. James Hird - Forget the coaching stint, he was a great footballer.
15. Bruce Doull - The Human Doormat, had some great battles with Royce. Best defender of a great era.
16. Wayne Schimmelbusch - Vastly underrated champion of North Melbourne and the game.
17. Ross Glendenning - Forward and back didn't matter.
18. Nick Reiwoldt - The hardest working forward, most marks in AFL football, I believe.
19. Wayne Johnston - Another Carlton flog but what a big game player.
20. The Krakouer Brothers - Played as one entity! Magical to watch.

That's off the top of my head and no doubt I've missed someone but this twenty are all worthy, IMO.
So many North players. :eek:

Gary Ablett Jr
Lance Franklin
James Hird
Nathan Buckley
Michael Voss
Chris Judd
Adam Goodes
Matthew Lloyd
Nick Riewoldt
Matthew Pavlich
Matthew Scarlett
Sam Mitchell
Shaun Burgoyne
Scott Pendlebury
Alex Rance
Dustin Martin
Nat Fyfe
Patrick Dangerfield
Ben Cousins
Simon Black

Well if his best yrs were 96 and 98 I’m happy to leave him out based on what I saw. Either way , he isn’t in my list.

Obviously you haven’t SEEN any football in the 90’s if you think that, happy to leave him out based on his 96-99 years of footy, pretty sure you watched no footy during that time and have no idea, especially seeing as you are 35, that or you have an issue with carey outside of his football career.

Maybe post your age (35) , and when I say “seen play” I mean seen with your own 2 eyes , doesn’t have to be in person. On tv is fine. Maybe post a reason along side some selections. DONT just come here to criticise others , post your own top 20.

Here’s mine.

I’m sure I have missed a few , and will make some edits as I see fit if others post players I may have forgotten.

Enjoy!

1. Tony Lockett. Most goals ever. In 281 games. First player I would pick on my team. Ben hart said lockett use to say to him before the game started “keep your hands to yourself and we won’t have a problem” lol.

2. Darren Jarman. Freak.

3.Judd.

4.Dunstall. Reliable.

5.buddy franklin. Freak

6.gary Ablett snr. I think his rating is usually a little higher in most lists. Not mine. 6 is still very high.

7.gary Ablett jnr.

8.voss

9.fyfe

10.akermanis

11.Paul Kelly

12.sam Mitchell

13.glenn jakovich

14.modra. Freak. Would like to have him higher , but the lack of the 2 premierships and goals total due to games played and injury I can’t have him any higher. But you knew he was going to take a screamer every week. Annoys me when people say Howe has the best replicable mark ever when modra use to take better marks every week. The afc built a club off this blokes back. Go watch a highlights package.

15.dangerfield

16.jonathon Brown

17.buckley

18.greg Williams

19.robert Harvey

20.dustin Martin (1 Brownlow and a premiership already. Will be higher by the end of his career I’m sure if he keeps his form up)

I'll have a shot at that after much thinking, because that is going to be the hardest 20 to picj in the world.

Wayne Carey
Gary Ablett Snr

Daylight

In no order 20
Jason Dunstall
Tony Lockett
Peter Matera
Wayne Schwass (controversial pick but I wore the no. 2 on my back in the 90’s, loved the way he played and very underrated, probs a bit of nostalgia involved too)
Anthony Koutafides
Chris Judd
Gary Ablett Jnr
Michael Voss
James Hird
Nathan Buckley
Robert Harvey
Andrew Mcleod
Ben Cousins
Paul Kelly
Glen Archer
Dustin Martin (best individual season i’ve seen 2017)
Dean Cox
Mark Ricciuto
Greg Williams
Glen Jacovich

No particular order
I’m 33

McLeod
Voss
S Black
Aker
Judd
Buckley
Silvagni
Lloyd
Hird
Ablett snr
Ablett jnr
Scarlett
Hodge
Mitchell
Carey
Buddy
Lockett
Riewoldt
Cousins
Cox

Sorry Mick went for 22 hope that’s ok

Backs R.Laird, K.Hartigan, J.Lever

HBacks P.Seedsman, D.Talia, L.Brown

Centre D.Mackay, R.Sloane, R.Atkins

HForwards C.Cameron, J.Jenkins, E.Betts

Forwards T.Lynch, T.Walker, R.Douglas

Followers S.Jacobs, B.Crouch, M.Crouch

Interchange R.Knight, J.Kelly, H.Greenwood, A.Otten

Nope, i was a kid in the 70's going to every Geelong game and we were beaten badly many, many times, the Cats had "Sam" and the only other shining light was David Clarke. Teams were s**t frightened of traveling to KP in what should've been an easy win, Clarke could single handedly win a game off that left boot and i saw him do it a number of times. He was treated horribly by Billy Goggin in 1981. One of the worst things i witnessed was at the Junction Oval one day when three Fitzroy players ran at Clarke from three different directions before the ball was bounced and flattened him. This was a bloke who would regularly collect 25 -30 kicks a game from a Half forward flank! He often had to lead into defence to contest the kick ins, Geelong were a very average team in those years, he basically had to do everything.
I am an unashamed Clarke fan. You possibly remember the most amazing duel back in the 70's- David Clarke v John Pitura Lakeside Oval iirc. Clarke was superb. I agree he was our shining light. Also Newman, the Nankervis bros, and Mick Turner.
I used to run with him at Landy Field off season occasionally, and he was very fit, great endurance.

I was always amazed that his son, Dvid jnr, was to be so different wrt disposal efficiency. Snr was a dead set shot for goal- every time he lined up, it was a goal. David jnr really struggled with confidence and disposal...

Later in his career, he did suffer from being thought of as not going in hard enough. (hence the Goggin treatment?
When he went to Carlton, he did miss a GF there iirc.

Only saw the first few towards the end, but I saw them....

Hudson
Hart
Jesaulenko
Blight
Bartlett
Matthews
Doull
Madden
Ablett snr
Williams
Dunstall
Lockett
Carey
Voss
Buckley
Harvey
Judd
Goodes
Ablett jnr
Franklin

Very tough to leave players like Greig, Hird & Riewoldt out. Ask me another day and it might be different.

I think our lists contain about 15 of the same players.

1. Ablett Snr
2. Wayne Carey
3. Leigh Matthews
4. Simon Madden
5. James Hird
6. Tony Lockett
7. Greg Williams
8. Robert Harvey
9. Chris Judd
10. Jason Dunstall
11. Ablett Jnr
12. Lance Franklin
13. Tim Watson
14. Michael Voss
15. N Reiwoldt
16. Dustin Fletcher
17. Peter Matera
18. Glen Jacovich
19. Darren Jarman
20. Nathan Buckley

'93

1.Hird
2.Ablett snr
3.Ablett jnr
4.Carey
5.Buckley
6.Voss
7.Goodes
8.Pavlich
9.Lockett
10.Franklin
11.Fletcher
12.Scarlett
13.Cousins
14.Judd
15.Aker
16.Dunstall
17.mcleod
18.dean cox
19.robert harvey
20.jakovich

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll start with a squad then have to whittle it down. This squad includes the best I've seen plus some very, very good players who were favourites of mine to watch.

Adelaide
Ricciuto
McLeod
D.Jarman
Modra

Brisbane
Voss
Akermanis
Black

Carlton
Doull
Hunter
Jesaulenko
Southby

Collingwood
Buckley
Gavin Brown
Daicos
Peter Moore

Essendon
Simon Madden
James Hird
Terry Daniher

Fitzroy
Bernie Quinlan
Gary Wilson
Mick Conlan
Paul Roos
Gary Pert
Alistair Lynch

Footscray
Brian Lake
Chris Grant
Doug Hawkins
Brad Johnson

Fremantle
Matthew Pavlich
Nathan Fyfe

Geelong
Snr
Jnr
Scarlett
Corey Enright
Steve Johnson

Gold Coast
Steven May

Greater Western Sydney
Callum Ward

Hawthorn
Peter Hudson
Leigh Matthews
Jason Dunstall

Melbourne
Robbie Flower

North Melbourne
David Dench
Wayne Carey
Malcolm Blight
Gary Dempsey
Keith Greig
Barry Cable

Port Adelaide
Warren Tredrea
Chad Cornes
Robbie Gray

Richmond
Matthew Richardson
Michael Roach
Geoff Raines
Alex Rance

St Kilda
Tony Lockett
Robert Harvey
Stewart Loewe

Sydney
Paul Kelly
Greg Williams
Adam Goodes

West Coast Eagles
Nic Naitanui
Chris Judd
Brett Heady
John Worsfold
Guy McKenna
Ben Cousins

Backline:

Enright Lake Scarlett

Half Back Line :

Hunter Rance Doull

Centre Line :

Flower Williams Greig

Half Forward Line :

Ablett Snr Carey Akermanis

Full Forward Line :

Daicos Lockett Matthews

Ruck :

Naitanui Judd Ablett Jnr

Interchange :

Voss, D.Jarman, S.Madden, Fyfe

Emergencies :

Buckley, Blight, Goodes

Coach :

Clarkson

Buddy not even a mention. Surely an oversight

Maybe post your age (35) , and when I say “seen play” I mean seen with your own 2 eyes , doesn’t have to be in person. On tv is fine. Maybe post a reason along side some selections. DONT just come here to criticise others , post your own top 20.

Here’s mine.

I’m sure I have missed a few , and will make some edits as I see fit if others post players I may have forgotten.

Enjoy!

1. Tony Lockett. Most goals ever. In 281 games. First player I would pick on my team. Ben hart said lockett use to say to him before the game started “keep your hands to yourself and we won’t have a problem” lol.

2. Darren Jarman. Freak.

3.Judd.

4.Dunstall. Reliable.

5.buddy franklin. Freak

6.gary Ablett snr. I think his rating is usually a little higher in most lists. Not mine. 6 is still very high.

7.gary Ablett jnr.

8.voss

9.fyfe

10.akermanis

11.Paul Kelly

12.sam Mitchell

13.glenn jakovich

14.modra. Freak. Would like to have him higher , but the lack of the 2 premierships and goals total due to games played and injury I can’t have him any higher. But you knew he was going to take a screamer every week. Annoys me when people say Howe has the best replicable mark ever when modra use to take better marks every week. The afc built a club off this blokes back. Go watch a highlights package.

15.dangerfield

16.jonathon Brown

17.buckley

18.greg Williams

19.robert Harvey

20.dustin Martin (1 Brownlow and a premiership already. Will be higher by the end of his career I’m sure if he keeps his form up)

Did you have issues with your sight when Wayne Carey was playing

No order;

1.W. Carey
2. G Ablett snr.
3. L. Matthews
4. M. Voss
5. S.Madden
6. A. Jesaulenko
7. N. Buckley
8. T. Lockett
9. L. Franklin
10. J. Dunstall
11. D. Brereton
12 J.Hird
13. S. Black
14. G. Jakovich
15. P. Knights
16. R. Hart
17. D. Jarman
18. P. Daicos
19. M. Blight
20. I. Stewart.

Last edited:
no order ..too hard

Wayne Carey
Gary Ablett
Barry Robran
Jason Dunstall
Tony Lockett
Darren Jarman
Leigh Matthews
Michael Voss
James Hird
Peter Matera
Russel Ebert
Greg Williams
Craig Bradley
Sam Mitchell
Gary Ablett Jnr
Nathan Buckley
Jason Akermanis
Robert Harvey
Adam Goodes
Buddy Franklin

Very tough. I probably go back a bit further than most here, my list in order, without explanation,

Tony Lockett
Leigh Matthews
Gary Ablett Snr
Wayne Carey
Greg Williams
Ian Stewart
Gary Ablett Jr
Royce Hart
Peter Knights
Malcolm Blight
Jason Dunstall
Chris Judd
Peter Matera
Keith Greig
Robert Flower
Nick Reiwoldt
Ben Cousins
Nat Fyfe
James Hird
Gary Dempsey
Nick Winmar

Winmar is probably a token entry - but he was the most graceful footballer ever to play so I have him in on that basis alone.

Apologies to a stack of players.

McLeod
Akermanis
Voss
Judd
Pendlebury
Swan
Buckley
Hird
Lloyd
Fyfe
Pavlich
Dangerfield
Ablett jr
Sam Mitchell
Brent Harvey
Martin
N Riewoldt
Franklin
Cousins
Cox

Very tough. I probably go back a bit further than most here, my list in order, without explanation,

Tony Lockett
Leigh Matthews
Gary Ablett Snr
Wayne Carey
Greg Williams
Ian Stewart
Gary Ablett Jr
Royce Hart
Peter Knights
Malcolm Blight
Jason Dunstall
Chris Judd
Peter Matera
Keith Greig
Robert Flower
Nick Reiwoldt
Ben Cousins
Nat Fyfe
James Hird
Gary Dempsey
Nick Winmar

Winmar is probably a token entry - but he was the most graceful footballer ever to play so I have him in on that basis alone.

Apologies to a stack of players.

Like the Keith Grieg.
Showing my bias but probably the most " graceful " footballer of the modern era.

In my eyes not enough Madden.

Like the Keith Grieg.
Showing my bias but probably the most " graceful " footballer of the modern era.

In my eyes not enough Madden.

Hard to squeeze them in. When I look at others lists I see I have left out players like Bartlett, Madden, Hudson etc.

I feel Hudson should be in but in truth I did not see much of him, the only real memory I have of him is the 71 GF - not his best. I actually got to know him quite well a few years back, great guy.

All the younger ones in here should watch some footage of Bernie Quinlan.

And what he’d do if he got to play under a roof and with brand new footballs interchanging, not a water logged ball which was used until it was booted out of the arena

Remove this Banner Ad

Back