Autopsy Who are our most underated 'bottom 6' premiership players?

Two most underated bottom 6 players.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Menadue, Short, Bolton, CEllis, Conca, Markov, Garthwaite, Moore, Stengle and the new draftee's with a bit of luck, will all be pressuring to play. They are all good enough, so the senior players who run out of form or get injured, might have to work their way back in to the seniors. There were periods of several weeks in a row where guys like Butler, Castagna and McIntosh were pretty quiet. I doubt Townsend will be as effective as he was late. Other times when out injured for spells they were straight back in. Might not get such silver service this year.

Townsend's ability to shut down a rebounding defender is rare amongst a forward if he continues to hone that skill whilst kicking a couple of goals a game he will become invaluable

Went for Graham(obvious reasons) & McIntosh as i see both very hard to dislodge out of the side.
I think the others can be replaced by better all rounded skilled players in Bolton,Stengle & Higgins.
But of coarse the mentioned 6 will have one major component over the others.Confidence so that may lead them too be abit more free in their actions.

Castagna for mine is very underrated. If you watch his game he gets to a lot in the forward 50, nearly takes two screamers a game and almost runs too fast for his brain. If he just got a bit more composure and relaxed a bit, he’d fumble less. That paired with his tackling ability....
Needs to be soon though. Bolton's on the doorstep, Higgins not far behind.
Castagna has a massive fault in his game that nobody seems to mention and that is his appalling handball skills. If you go back and watch replays of our games, which I have done, you will notice that a lot of times he misses the target by hand. This quite often will break a chain of play that looks like creating any easy goal.

I noticed this handball issue in the finals and went back and watched a number of other games to confirm. He needs to improve his skills. If he can do this he has other attributes that could see him improve dramatically. His set shot kicking at goal also needs work, he gets way toooooo close to the man on the mark and then pulls his shot.

I still think he has a lot of upside

Castagna has a massive fault in his game that nobody seems to mention and that is his appalling handball skills. If you go back and watch replays of our games, which I have done, you will notice that a lot of times he misses the target by hand. This quite often will break a chain of play that looks like creating any easy goal.

I noticed this handball issue in the finals and went back and watched a number of other games to confirm. He needs to improve his skills. If he can do this he has other attributes that could see him improve dramatically. His set shot kicking at goal also needs work, he gets way toooooo close to the man on the mark and then pulls his shot.

Heh heh i guess that's why Hands of Stone...plays a lot of table tennis to help with his eye to hand co-ordination...
I reckon Georgie ought to take up Down Hill Ski Racing and go even faster...just pass the problem of co-ordination onto the opposition to try and catch him..
Doing Down Hill Ski Racing may just help Georgie develop new skills...he never knew he had...:p:eek:

Not unnoticed here. Atrocious handball skills and a poor kick for goal.
Done well to get where he has, but I think a few will go past him quickly - the likes of Higgins, Bolton and Stengle.

For those who like stats.

From Wikipedia:

In March 2017, Castagna was again upgraded to Richmond's senior list.
He was immediately impactful, playing in the club's round 1 victory against Carlton, kicking two goals and recording 20 disposals.
In round 4 he kicked a career-high four goals in Richmond's win over the Brisbane Lions.
Castagna, along with forward-line companions Daniel Rioli and Dan Butler, played a key role in Richmond's five game unbeaten start to the 2017 season.
After five rounds the small-forward trio had combined for 23 goals (Castagna with eight) and 44 tackles (18 for Castagna).
At the mid-season bye, Castagna was one of only 11 players at Richmond to play all 11 matches to that point in the season.
He was equal third at the club for goals kicked that season and also ranked 12th in the league for forward half pressure.
In round 18 Castagna laid a career high nine tackles in the club's win over Greater Western Sydney.
Castagna received the AFL Rising Star nomination for round 19 after kicking three goals and gathering 16 disposals in Richmond's 33-point win over the Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium.
Castagna was a member of Richmond's finals team in 2017, and kicked a goal in each of the club's three matches in the series including in a victorious Grand Final.
He finished the season a premiership player and having played in all 25 matches at senior level.
His 26 goals for the season placed him fourth at the club across the season.
He also earned permanent promotion to the club's senior list in October 2017.
Castagna is contracted to Richmond until at least the end of the 2019 season

The knock on Castagna was always his skills. His pace and step and ability to take the game on are what got him where he is now. No reason why he can't iron out his kicking for goal, just practice with Townsend. His hands are not great, but he plays tall in a short forward line so he was important. When/if we develop another tall/medium tall, then the heat will be on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The knock on Castagna was always his skills. His pace and step and ability to take the game on are what got him where he is now. No reason why he can't iron out his kicking for goal, just practice with Townsend. His hands are not great, but he plays tall in a short forward line so he was important. When/if we develop another tall/medium tall, then the heat will be on.

Skills are not so readily improved as other parts of the game such as endeavour, tackling and pressure.
You are generally working with 10-12 years of bad habits or poor technique when it comes to basic skills.
Not saying it can't be done, but it's not an easy thing.

I believe if George can clean up his goal kicking he can kick 50 goals a season knows how to find the footy always involved and good mark to.

Still has a lot of upside does George. His set shots have been shizen a lot of the time - clean that up and his confidence will skyrocket. His intensity near the ball borders on elite- just needs reward for effort to become a very good player.

Skills are not so readily improved as other parts of the game such as endeavour, tackling and pressure.
You are generally working with 10-12 years of bad habits or poor technique when it comes to basic skills.
Not saying it can't be done, but it's not an easy thing.
Agree, that is why I only mentioned goal kicking, stationary kicking is more between the ears. He will gradually improve skills like handball and kicking accuracy the more he trains, but can he do it quick enough.

Georgie is also a very flexible player although he played as a forward mainly this year he could and has played as a half back and wingman plus in time could play through the midfield he’s only just turned 21 so plenty of development lift in him

What other player can be called bottom 6 then?I had Astbury at 7
Na, I’m not having a go at the selected 6 be ****ed if I could be bothered trying to do it. I just get a feeling that McIntosh is regarded as highly important to the coaches etc.
I remember even hearing his name raised as a massive loss in 2016.

What other player can be called bottom 6 then?I had Astbury at 7
Maybe he is bottom 6 now and that’s why we are where we are.

He does! He never hits the ball well and often can’t get much depth on his kicks either, have a look at a few of his snaps in general play. But still I think he’s a bit of a rough diamond who if is worked on come become a bit of a discount Stevie Milne - nowhere near as good as Milne but similar type player.

Back