Autopsy Who are our most underated 'bottom 6' premiership players?

Two most underated bottom 6 players.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Rance improved his skills big time from 20 to now, instead of kicking straight back to oponnants, he often kicks into space, this is a very simple way of improving poor disposal.
And to stay on his feet. That's a skill.
It drove me insane how often he went to ground in his early years. Now it never happens.

Over half the list at various stages would have qualified as bottom 6, at various points last yr.
Thats why journo's like Jai Bennell write articles like they did about us, and the premiership.

On the b/f,20 players played more than half the games in fact 20 players played 16 plus games which sort of shows how few injuries we had.
reality finish 10 and its middling.
Imo the only player outside the top 10 who had enormous influence on games ALL YR was Nankervis. Theres even a few in the top 10 who were very indifferent at times.

Over half the list at various stages would have qualified as bottom 6, at various points last yr.
Thats why journo's like Jai Bennell write articles like they did about us, and the premiership.

On the b/f,20 players played more than half the games in fact 20 players played 16 plus games which sort of shows how few injuries we had.
Imo the only player outside the top 10 who had enormous influence on games ALL YR was Nankervis. Theres even a few in the top 10 who were very indifferent at times.
Agree on Nankervis, but what about Astbury, Vlaustin, Caddy and Edwards. They were great all year and a big part in our success.

Cmrr epvghgrnl eca bcgtbm

Grigg is one of our best players now- a goalkicking ruckman !

Extremely versatile also Not many ruckmen can switch from Ruck to a hard tag on a gun inside midfielder or rest across half forward playing as a hard running linkman between the arcs.

eh eh eh

Well i reckon if not for Rance holding down the Backline and playing like an AA Champion...
Broad...Astbury...Houli...McIntosh would fall away...

Thats it isnt it; they support each other and make each other better players - the luxury of having a very settled back six who support each others strengths and cover for each others weaker areas

Very few flag or GF participants have bad years on the injury front. The crows only used about high 20's on players I think.

Jai actually wrote an article himself? Normally he just steals from reddit.

It’s all just a fad yeah?

Broad and Castagna

Broad gives us the flexibility that Short/conca cant in our backline. He can rotate on talls, mediums and smalls. Our defence went next level when Broad came in towards the end of the season. His disposal was a bit iffy, you could tell he was nervous, but each game he looked more and more comfortable and towards the end he looked like he belonged.

Castagna, if he cuts out the unforced errors and tidies up his goal kicking will be an elite small fwd of the comp, plays taller, has speed, is very strong and is a competitive beast. Can see him becoming a real weapon this season.(By the looks of him in photos it looks like hes doing everything he can to improve)

Lets not forget these guys have played 12 and 30 games respectively.

It’s all just a fad yeah?
Not sure what your going on about, but if its about us playing just one genuine tall fwd out of neccesity, then id say yeah its unusual, different, a fad call it what you like but its not the norm.

Now on topic i dont think premiership players are ever underrated the opposite in fact id say a lot are overrated because they were fortunate enough to play in a premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very few flag or GF participants have bad years on the injury front. The crows only used about high 20's on players I think.
I agree most flag winners have a healthy list especially at the pointy end of the season.Most flag contenders have had adequate cover for injuries where we were very fortunate we did not cop injuries to players where there was little or no cover.

I know my fellow supporters dont like to hear and admit it but we really did and still do lack in some pretty important areas.

I agree most flag winners have a healthy list especially at the pointy end of the season.Most flag contenders have had adequate cover for injuries where we were very fortunate we did not cop injuries to players where there was little or no cover.

I know my fellow supporters dont like to hear and admit it but we really did and still do lack in some pretty important areas.
Well that wasnt what i meant. In some years the flag winners needed cover ie one of the hawks 3 peat, but mostly they had a healthy list all the way thru. Heck the swans flag in 05 or 06 only used about about 27 players or so.

Broad and Castagna
Broad gives us the flexibility that Short/conca cant in our backline. He can rotate on talls, mediums and smalls. Our defence went next level when Broad came in towards the end of the season. His disposal was a bit iffy, you could tell he was nervous, but each game he looked more and more comfortable and towards the end he looked like he belonged.
Castagna, if he cuts out the unforced errors and tidies up his goal kicking will be an elite small fwd of the comp, plays taller, has speed, is very strong and is a competitive beast. Can see him becoming a real weapon this season.(By the looks of him in photos it looks like hes doing everything he can to improve)

Lets not forget these guys have played 12 and 30 games respectively.

If he hangs on to his speckies he will take 1st, 2nd and 3rd mark of the year.
Is their another small forward in the comp that attacks packs for contested marks like George? I doubt it (at least he brings the ball to ground)

I picked Graham and Towno but love Macca,a real team player who goes all game long.

Reliable West Aussie.

We really are a team for Australians,players from all over the country bonding together for the Tiger cause.

Our recruiters have really done a fantastic job.

I picked Graham and Towno but love Macca,a real team player who goes all game long.

Reliable West Aussie.

We really are a team for Australians,players from all over the country bonding together for the Tiger cause.

Our recruiters have really done a fantastic job.

Spot on. If you watch how much unrewarded running McIntosh does in the grand final its pretty impressive. Kept his width which drew defenders and opened up options inside. Was a great team game he played and he went to Lynch on a few occasions and had an impact there.

Spot on. If you watch how much unrewarded running McIntosh does in the grand final its pretty impressive. Kept his width which drew defenders and opened up options inside. Was a great team game he played and he went to Lynch on a few occasions and had an impact there.
Also agree..
Watched him carefully again for the 4-5 games at the end of the year. He went to another level. Havent rated him much, but played his role well. Has the size, run and fixed up his disposal/decision making.

Also agree..
Watched him carefully again for the 4-5 games at the end of the year. He went to another level. Havent rated him much, but played his role well. Has the size, run and fixed up his disposal/decision making.

Its why I dont like rating players outside of the norm smith - its fair enough rate the best on ground but when you start reading the "experts" rating his game a 4 or 5 out of 10 its BS. I'd think Hardwick and the coaches would have been stoked he stuck to his role - on another day had we needed to use him more, he would have been open to get the pill. Thats how hard he worked.

It was a good year, he got a really good solid run at it this year - no injuries I can recall. His upside is massive if he can stay fit and continue with the consistency. He's no Dusty or Chris Judd but I think he's got a couple more gears to his game.

It was a good year, he got a really good solid run at it this year - no injuries I can recall. His upside is massive if he can stay fit and continue with the consistency. He's no Dusty or Chris Judd but I think he's got a couple more gears to his game.

I think his year was probably focused on continuity, durability and fitness. He has missed a lot of games since he was drafted, and I wouldn't think the majority were form related.

That he was able to come in and play the role given to him each week, and with his size and speed, the coaches should be asking a lot more of him in 2018. There's a couple of good options in the VFL, but if he continues to improve, he will be a force out on the wing / HBF.

I think his year was probably focused on continuity, durability and fitness. He has missed a lot of games since he was drafted, and I wouldn't think the majority were form related.

That he was able to come in and play the role given to him each week, and with his size and speed, the coaches should be asking a lot more of him in 2018. There's a couple of good options in the VFL, but if he continues to improve, he will be a force out on the wing / HBF.

Good assessment mate. I hope I'm not coming across as overrating him, I just thought he payed the role needed in the finals series particularly. I think we've all seen those glimpses of him i.e. the game against Carlton against Judd and the back pocket to forward pocket run against the bombers. Seems like he's a team guy with some x factor. I'm just being selfish and wanting to see a bit more of the latter if the team can accomodate it

Back