Who Plays in The Ashes

Remove this Banner Ad

Possibly, but he did make 2 in he other innings. We all know he can make runs but it’s his constant failings that is the problem. You could understand if he was a young batsman but the campaigner is 34.

Oh yeah I'm just been trying to make sense of it.
And only thing that makes sense to me is - well all the options look s**t and he did score 90 against our test attack.

All in all I think we're still in a weak position depth wise but there is a lot of promising players coming through. I see the signs of a new golden age in 5-10 years.

Oh yeah I'm just been trying to make sense of it.
And only thing that makes sense to me is - well all the options look s**t and he did score 90 against our test attack.

All in all I think we're still in a weak position depth wise but there is a lot of promising players coming through. I see the signs of a new golden age in 5-10 years.
There’s plenty of talent there, it’s just a matter of whether they can go in with it. Guys like Patterson and Head looked like they were ready to take the next step 12 months ago and have gone backwards.

A few good youngens coming through though.

Selectors were hoping Carey would perform enough to pick him and he didn't

It's interesting that Hohns was very quick to emphasise that Paine scored 71 not out. No mention of the duck in the first innings. If they really wanted to pick Carey, they could have. If 71 not out was the basis of selection, then no consideration for Carey's 46 not out when he ran out of partners?

It's interesting that Hohns was very quick to emphasise that Paine scored 71 not out. No mention of the duck in the first innings. If they really wanted to pick Carey, they could have. If 71 not out was the basis of selection, then no consideration for Carey's 46 not out when he ran out of partners?
Or Maxwell's 45 not out batting out the draw

Or Maxwell's 45 not out batting out the draw
And 2 60's out of 3 innings before the 45 Not Out......
That an average of over 50 coming into an Ashes series, for a number 6 batsman, who is also an outstanding fielder.

Not enough apparently.....

I'm beginning to think Steve "If you aren't my mate, goodbye" Smith picks the team.

Sorry, its extremely baffling......
No it isn't. A little surprising and a bit lucky sure. But as usual BF is full of extreme bias and hyperbole.

And again this is from someone that wanted Maxwell in.

Also the selectors know more than 99.9% of the expert lounge lizards on BF checking scorecards on the net.

No it isn't. A little surprising and a bit lucky sure. But as usual BF is full of extreme bias and hyperbole.

Also the selectors know more than 99.9% of the expert lounge lizards on BF checking scorecards on the net.
Never looked at the net, just his last 2 games.

What is baffling is,

S. Marsh IN.....

What's the break down between being dropped and being injured for SMarsh?
Depends if you count on him filling in for others. I'm not sure that he has been dropped that often, his body gives up on him before they can pull the trigger. Last test India, his back was ****ed at the beginning of the test.

He won't last the series, but it's as likely through injury as shite form.

Depends if you count on him filling in for others. I'm not sure that he has been dropped that often, his body gives up on him before they can pull the trigger. Last test India, his back was ****ed at the beginning of the test.

He won't last the series, but it's as likely through injury as shite form.
Ok.
I'm prepared to give S. Marsh 7 more chances at test level.
But thats it.......

He's fortunate and I would have definitely given Maxwell a fair shot at home at 6 but picking Marsh isn't that 'baffling'.
Really? Being recalled for the 8th time, and never established. Australian cricket is in disarray. One minute they select for the future, then they change their minds. I have been a Tim Payne supporter for a long time, but he had been overlooked so often and was also injured, that his day had passed. Now they select him having not kept, after Wade is selected as the No 1 keeper for Tasmania. This series could go pear shaped for Australia very quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally agree and I think that's why there is confusion in these selection decisions. I mean what's a 71no really worth in a 2nd dig combined with 1st innings failure?

That's just my read on Paines selection , I think post Haddin he has always been preferred but injury and other factors have stopped it

I know these boards can get a little silly sometimes, but it's pretty representative of the response of every Australian cricket fan and every professional cricket writer/commentator. It's not like the frustrations with the inconsistency and contradictory selection reasoning are only being expressed in this thread.

I wonder if they even realise why they get so panned for their selections? I get the feeling they've twisted and turned with their own internal justifications so much that they honestly believe that what they're saying makes sense.

The selections seem a lot like knee jerk reactions and they seem as they have totally gone away from the plan they had 12 months ago.

Nearly everyone thought Marsh had played his last test in India. It was even mentioned numerous times by the Australian commentary team. A 34 year old that has had 7 chances already and failed. Averaged 19 in his last series and has 17 scores under 10 in his 23 tests. How could anyone argue that isn’t a baffling decision?

As for Paine, I don’t hate the decision but I can’t really work out why he’s been selected and not and not Carey? Happy for them to look past Wade and Nevill though. Luckily I don’t think this will make a huge difference to the series but it seemed like a good chance to look to the future.

I know these boards can get a little silly sometimes, but it's pretty representative of the response of every Australian cricket fan and every professional cricket writer/commentator. It's not like the frustrations with the inconsistency and contradictory selection reasoning are only being expressed in this thread.

I wonder if they even realise why they get so panned for their selections? I get the feeling they've twisted and turned with their own internal justifications so much that they honestly believe that what they're saying makes sense.
A little 'silly', let's be honest the fair % of BF posters and the casual fan is a halfwit. Media guys are paid for an opinion, but quite a few are also muppets with no accountability that will just parrot whatever is popular.

The selectors by far have the most information, put in time actually watching cricket at lower levels properly, and have their jobs on the line with their decisions.

Not saying they shouldn't be criticised or on occasions do silly things but if you think any armchair sheep know any more than a tiny fraction as people doing it for a job then you are dreaming.

The selections seem a lot like knee jerk reactions and they seem as they have totally gone away from the plan they had 12 months ago.

Nearly everyone thought Marsh had played his last test in India. It was even mentioned numerous times by the Australian commentary team. A 34 year old that has had 7 chances already and failed. Averaged 19 in his last series and has 17 scores under 10 in his 23 tests. How could anyone argue that isn’t a baffling decision?

As for Paine, I don’t hate the decision but I can’t really work out why he’s been selected and not and not Carey? Happy for them to look past Wade and Nevill though. Luckily I don’t think this will make a huge difference to the series but it seemed like a good chance to look to the future.
The stats on Marsh don't tell the whole story. Everyone is dragging out the 'eighth chance' but several of those were due to injury and being an injury replacement. It's not like he has been dropped seven times for poor form.

Likewise, his number of innings under 10 is heavily influenced by one series six odd years ago. He's not nearly as bad as people want to make out. The hyperbole on SMarsh is over the top.

The stats on Marsh don't tell the whole story. Everyone is dragging out the 'eighth chance' but several of those were due to injury and being an injury replacement. It's not like he has been dropped seven times for poor form.

Likewise, his number of innings under 10 is heavily influenced by one series six odd years ago. He's not nearly as bad as people want to make out. The hyperbole on SMarsh is over the top.
Which series are you referring to?

I think he scored 5 of those 17 under 10 scores in his latest series just a few months back?

Pete Lalor on Offsiders was good this morning. He said that this was clearly a team picked for the moment, it's all about beating England, and we'll look to the future later. He also said that Haddin, who always considered Paine the biggest threat too his place is back in the set up as coach and that his influence could have had a lot to do with Paine's selection.

Pete Lalor on Offsiders was good this morning. He said that this was clearly a team picked for the moment, it's all about beating England, and we'll look to the future later. He also said that Haddin, who always considered Paine the biggest threat too his place is back in the set up as coach and that his influence could have had a lot to do with Paine's selection.
Didn't see the show but if Lalor says what you say he said, and that Australia are looking to the future later, then this side regardless of who is in it should be given at least 2 Tests. The chopping and changing, horses for courses policy needs to be ditched.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back