Coach Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

15/8 Board toppled (reportedly will pursue Clarkson)
19/8 Alastair Clarkson to join North
21/8 Ben Rutten sacked
22/8 Coach selection sub-committee to be established to find a replacement
26/8 Committee members announced: Josh Mahoney (GM-Footy, chair), Dorothy Hisgrove (Board member), Andrew Thorburn, Simone McKinnis, Robert Walls, Jordan Lewis
7/9 James Hird, Dean Solomon, Brendon Lade, Adem Yze interviewed at EY
13/9 Daniel Giansiracusa reportedly interviewed
17/9 Don Pyke “not pursuing that at this stage”
21/9 Brad Scott contacted by the club but won’t make a decision on whether to pursue the role until after the Grand Final
21/9 Adem Yze has second interview and tours the training facilities at Tullamarine
22/9 Blake Caracella will put his hat in the ring
27/9 Brendon Lade appointed as assistant coach at the Western Bulldogs, out of the running for Essendon job
28/9 Brad Scott to be interviewed on Thursday
29/9

Last edited:
As much as I might have liked Lyon in theory, I do think the club has just about reached the critical mass of Faustian pacts that it can sustain.

Glad to hear the club is holding its nerve RE: a fair and balanced process. Not quite sure what there is to mock about that.

Dunno if it’s nerve holding. It’s just basic rejection. We’ve actively gone and asked both Lyon and Scott to apply for the job and both have quickly declined.

We sacked Rutten for Clarkson - who effectively wasn’t available - and then said ah well we’ll get some other older coach to take over.

And none of them want to do it.

We’ll end up with a coach of some description and the club will espouse his qualities and talk about how he was always what we wanted.

But it’s pretty clear this whole coaching saga is actually just lurching from one ****-up to the next.

Hird might need some more cash! Seriously not newsworthy, but that is where we are at.

James Hird and wife Tania fall victim to tradie scam over house repairs

More of a worry is this in the article.....Barham needs to just STFU!

"But it was the Herald Sun’s Jay Clark who left Barham completely bamboozled.

“Does the club know what sort of coach it needs?” Clark asked.

Barham: “Um, yeah that’s got to be worked out. That’s part of what’s got to be worked out on Sunday and the decision that’s got to be made.

Clark: “So no, the club doesn’t know?”

Barham: “Um … I think that’s got to be worked out on Sunday.”

Dunno if it’s nerve holding. It’s just basic rejection. We’ve actively gone and asked both Lyon and Scott to apply for the job and both have quickly declined.

We sacked Rutten for Clarkson - who effectively wasn’t available - and then said ah well we’ll get some other older coach to take over.

We’ll end up with a coach of some description and the club will espouse his qualities and talk about how he was always what we wanted.

But it’s pretty clear this whole coaching saga is actually just lurching from one ****-up to the next.
^^Nail on head.

Rutten's sacking was a knee jerk reaction to a couple of poor efforts in dead rubber games and a quick fix thinking they could just get Clarko.

Fell apart when Clarko rejected it.

My 2c, we should have let Rutten coach out his contract for 1 more year, right or wrong. We are not challenging for top 4 in the near future anyway, nothing to lose IMO. We could be in a worse position now.

Media loving this.

Our young players, hobbs, Perk etc. are made of the right stuff. Some of the senior group need a reality check.

The sacking of Rutten is where this started, its when he was hired. You can call the sacking knee jerk or whatever but he didn't go through a proper process to get hired. If your going to hire an assistant coach there needs to be some sort of interview process where assistant coaches from other clubs are also interviewed.

Rutten should have been sacked mid year to avoid the fuss, but the President and CEO at the time supported Rutten, so sacking him mid year wasn't an option, that's also why they are gone now.

Really this process should have been done when Worsfold left. It is not the current presidents fault its turned out the way it has, but id rather be doing a coach selection process now than in 12 months.

Hird might need some more cash! Seriously not newsworthy, but that is where we are at.

Barham: “Um, yeah that’s got to be worked out. That’s part of what’s got to be worked out on Sunday and the decision that’s got to be made.

Those quotes are from weeks ago, from the press conference before the Richmond game and before Rutten was sacked.

^^Nail on head.

Rutten's sacking was a knee jerk reaction to a couple of poor efforts in dead rubber games and a quick fix thinking they could just get Clarko.

Fell apart when Clarko rejected it.

My 2c, we should have let Rutten coach out his contract for 1 more year, right or wrong. We are not challenging for top 4 in the near future anyway, nothing to lose IMO. We could be in a worse position now.

Media loving this.

Our young players, hobbs, Perk etc. are made of the right stuff. Some of the senior group need a reality check.
I don't think it was a knee reaction at all, maybe cause Clarko was available but the team for the majority of 2022 played non accountable/competitive football from round 1. Yes, key personnel were unavailable early in the season, but how they were playing and getting pumped was abhorrent (learnt nothing from round 1, same shit was served up throughout the season).

No idea what happened to Rutten, I liked what he did last year. Tinkering with the game plan this season can't be the only reason why the team performed so badly (all be it also being young). The right decision was made to move Rutten on no what Clarko's availability status was.

Didn't think Ross was ever interested tbh. It was more to keep the publicity going to generate more viewers and clicks. Therefore I'm glad it's not going to be him. What's needed is someone who is genuinely interested and wants to build the club up. Who that will be I have no idea. I'm leaning towards Yze or Pyke. If it's Yze I feel he will need a mentor.

While the coaching committee is waiting for people to apply for the job, can they help the Hirds find a plumber?

Didn't think Ross was ever interested tbh. It was more to keep the publicity going to generate more viewers and clicks. Therefore I'm glad it's not going to be him. What's needed is someone who is genuinely interested and wants to build the club up. Who that will be I have no idea. I'm leaning towards Yze or Pyke. If it's Yze I feel he will need a mentor.
Agree.

So you're not happy when the club breaks ranks to pursue the greatest working coach when he is at least theoretically available, and you're not happy when the club wants to put anyone lesser than that through the supposedly structured mechanism of recruitment process.

The club itself has said nothing RE: Ross Lyon, a candidate who is compromised by default and has gone through almost a carbon copy of the (ironically) coquettish routine he spun with another club 12 months ago. Yes, the recruitment panel may have approached him and they may have approached others but we'll hear about him because he has the highest profile and is in the media. And we're hearing exclusively his side of that conversation. So what? Like the Carlton story last year it will become trivia that, by virtue of so closely resembling the Carlton story, reflects worse on Lyon than it does on Essendon.

I'm not entirely sure what you want the club to do now though? Do you want them to abandon the process that they have in place because certain people think they're above and beyond it and do what we've done over and over again, including what we did to appoint Rutten as senior coach in the first place? Two things can be true at once - we can be interested in a coach, and want them to go through rigours that may not be desirable to that individual, and that might not be the end of the world.

Rutten's goose was cooked by virtue of how he was appointed. This point that we've reached was an inevitability because the club seems to have thought for the past 20 years that what most other clubs have developed as good practice in the professional environment somehow doesn't apply to us and we can kinda just make up our own rules and wing trivialities like, say, the appointment of a senior coach. Having a sook because we're being hoist by our own petard finally is fine and all I guess but I'm not sure which timeline we're supposed to be living in where the brinksmanship of the last decade of the club's administration has somehow worked out because we stayed the course, based purely on the insane and deeply erroneous parallels that the club's leadership was drawing with Richmond and Collingwood.

So yeah, while the actual deployment of what they're doing is to say the least, sub-optimal, it's necessary evil and more importantly it's exactly the kind of stuff that the club has previously tried to circumvent, sidestep and paper over. These aren't classic Essington moves of deceit that have the subtelty of Starscream crossed with Eric Cartman, these are the creakings and lurchings and fumblings of a club that just maybe is finally deciding to grow up and find out how the rest of the (functioning) industry operates and finding it out the hard way. And if what we wind up with as a senior coach, for once, isn't someone that the board and executive haven't shortlisted on a serviette but actually someone that the panel sources and has actually done their dues in the industry and has accumulated diverse and storied experience, that might be a novel experience for us as well.

But yeah the media might be mean about us for a bit longer. I think we can weather it, personally.

Barham is learning this is not the plum job he thought it would be.
i am really disappointed buckley will not apply for the position as I believe he is bright and media savvy.
justin Leppitsch would have a hard edge and I believe that Pyke has rebuilt his reputation at Sydney and understands the modern game. imagine if our players applied the pressure Sydney’s players applied on Friday night. We would be fun to watch.
my fear is James hird will get the job by default which would be most troubling unless Sheedy, Harvey and dodoro all left the club so he is not aligned to a faction.

i very very very much doubt Barham went in thinking it would be plum job.

he is no idiot. He knew it would be a slog.

dude, those Barham quotes are like 3 weeks old? Also wtf is this article?

he was asked those questions a presser. What's he supposed to do. Sit there and suck his thumb?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree about the **** ups, how this all started is embarrassing. You couldn't have asked for a worse week than what we did chasing Clarkson and treating Rutten abysmally.

With regards to Lyon, it seems to me he's vain and wanted the red carpet rolled out. When he saw he had to go through a process he turned up his nose. Even his snippy comments on MMM made me think of someone who'd been jilted, not treated the way he wanted to be. He wanted to be offered the job like Clarkson was.

Despite everything cocking up I think the coaching panel is the right path, and they stuck to their guns by asking Lyon to follow a process. We could've easily jumped to the next best option and offered Lyon the job, but that would've been the wrong thing to do.

The sacking of Rutten is where this started, its when he was hired. You can call the sacking knee jerk or whatever but he didn't go through a proper process to get hired. If your going to hire an assistant coach there needs to be some sort of interview process where assistant coaches from other clubs are also interviewed.

Rutten should have been sacked mid year to avoid the fuss, but the President and CEO at the time supported Rutten, so sacking him mid year wasn't an option, that's also why they are gone now.

Really this process should have been done when Worsfold left. It is not the current presidents fault its turned out the way it has, but id rather be doing a coach selection process now than in 12 months.
I think if we had let it run 12 more months and we announced that we are not going ahead with Truck, and that applications are now open for the EFC coaching job, we'd have more contenders for the job (with the attributes that we are looking for) than we are going to have now...
It's a right royal **** up ATM.

I wonder with Lyon's and Scott's public declarations if we are just so untrustworthy based off that Sheedy/Dodoro faction, that they don't want to be any part of an exercise to legitimize Hird's reappointment.

Either that or the list is just so unsuitable for their brand of contested football that the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

I think if we had let it run 12 more months and we announced that we are not going ahead with Truck, and that applications are now open for the EFC coaching job, we'd have more contenders for the job (with the attributes that we are looking for) than we are going to have now...
It's a right royal * up ATM.

The way we rocked up to the round 1 and the first half of the season was unacceptable. He had to go after that. Our players responded better to getting slammed in the media than they did to the coach.

You can't wait 12months hoping that maybe coaches that's have coached for 10years without winning a grand final want to coach us.

An Yze/Choco Williams double might be the answer. Listened to a podcast recently with Robert Shaw as the guest and he has been wanting to team up with Choco for years to help bring some culture and player development back to the club.
J.Carr/Williams could be another option

I wonder with Lyon's and Scott's public declarations if we are just so untrustworthy based off that Sheedy/Dodoro faction, that they don't want to be any part of an exercise to legitimize Hird's reappointment.

Either that or the list is just so unsuitable for their brand of contested football that the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

or it was just media putting forward names all along with tenuous links at best to actual fact?

the fact scott and lyon had to come out and declare non interest might have more to do with the media putting them forward than Essendon wanting them

or it was just media putting forward names all along with tenuous links at best to actual fact?

the fact scott and lyon had to come out and declare non interest might have more to do with the media putting them forward than Essendon wanting them
We said we wanted a coach with more “experience” and the media has put forward a few of their darlings.

No surprise really. Hardwick “rejected” us also — he’d have rocks in his head if he didn’t.

And on top of that I don’t think Mahoney would be allowed to keep his job if he didn’t at least make those phone calls.

At least now Barham can wear the lack of experience in the next coach without blaming a process that didn’t even approach them.

Paraphrased; The longer Lyon is out of the game the less likely a club will shoehorn him into a role, as he evidently wants to be. He’s already been out of it too long, and while he doesn’t need to jump through the initial hoops, he does need to go and have a chat to clubs about where he sees their list and how his style of coaching has changed to suit 6-6-6, ruck nominations and deliberate OOB that have changed since he last coached. If he’s not willing to do that he’ll never coach again.

The way we rocked up to the round 1 and the first half of the season was unacceptable. He had to go after that. Our players responded better to getting slammed in the media than they did to the coach.

You can't wait 12months hoping that maybe coaches that's have coached for 10years without winning a grand final want to coach us.
That is the juxtapose I reckon. I certainly agree that something was not right with the way the players performed this season, and if we level it at the coach he certainly had to go. A shame but it is real. I thought he had done some great things in the previous season to lay a foundation. But sadly, no.
It was probably the manner in which it all happened.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back