Coach Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

15/8 Board toppled (reportedly will pursue Clarkson)
19/8 Alastair Clarkson to join North
21/8 Ben Rutten sacked
22/8 Coach selection sub-committee to be established to find a replacement
26/8 Committee members announced: Josh Mahoney (GM-Footy, chair), Dorothy Hisgrove (Board member), Andrew Thorburn, Simone McKinnis, Robert Walls, Jordan Lewis
7/9 James Hird, Dean Solomon, Brendon Lade, Adem Yze interviewed at EY
13/9 Daniel Giansiracusa reportedly interviewed
17/9 Don Pyke “not pursuing that at this stage”
21/9 Brad Scott contacted by the club but won’t make a decision on whether to pursue the role until after the Grand Final
21/9 Adem Yze has second interview and tours the training facilities at Tullamarine
22/9 Blake Caracella will put his hat in the ring
27/9 Brendon Lade appointed as assistant coach at the Western Bulldogs, out of the running for Essendon job
28/9 Brad Scott to be interviewed on Thursday
29/9

Last edited:
13EsCa22MW1045.jpg

I really struggle to see how a panel with Jordan Lewis on it appoints him.

Hird getting hired is something I’m not against because I think he’s a terrible coach. It’s about the baggage he brings to Essendon which is something extra no other candidate would add to us. That and once again we cannot say definitively whether he hired a coach through a proper process as there will always be an * next to this one.

Hell it’s the sort of thing in years to come I can imagine the panel not recommending Hird yet the board goes against their suggestion.

Surely no one could really believe a proper, independent process would appoint Hird. I know I couldn’t. If he gets the job we’ll know it’s same old Essendon and we’re in for more years of s**t.

Should change our song back to the 1897 version:

“The Same Old Essendon we used to be,
The same old Essendon we are you see
At the end of the season, that premiership flag (elimination final humiliation),
The same Old Essendon will have it in the bag
For the Same Old Essendon are we.“

Well if they are going to do it, I suppose it is better now than appoint someone else and have a faction/coteries behind the scenes still pushing for him, causing disruption and problems. We have been poor as a club for 20 years...what's 22 years if it doesn't work...and if it doesn't then we can move on forever without having it in the background. I am against him coming back but there's jack I can do about it. If they broke him once they will try again and would not like to see that happening again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he comes back and we are successful I'll get bashed in the MCG, no way I'll be able to not be an absolute *ing arsehole to everyone who hates us.
One thing is for sure, he is a lightning rod, this news barely comes out and BigFooty already seems to be struggling under the load.

An article you can actually read

JAMES Hird has been interviewed as part of Essendon's coaching search as the Bombers great puts his hand up for a return to the position.

Hird met with the Bombers coaching sub-committee on Wednesday as the club gets into its process to appoint a replacement for Ben Rutten.

The optics say this is the boys club at play as per usual and even more so if Hird is appointed.

Whether that's accurate or 100% wrong (Hird gets appointed due to being the best candidate) it doesn't matter, the external view will be Essendon doing what Essendon's always done. I know that's the view I'm forming already.

I love Hirdy, he almost killed himself because of what happened. He bleeds red and black. He's a good coach, and in all likelihood he'll have Solly and Mcveigh around him. He's the best available factoring in his previous W/L, experience, but most of all drive to vindicate himself and the club. If he won 4 premierships in a row from here none of you would care let's be honest.

This is peak entertainment I don't care what moralists think at the end of the day. Who are you to point fingers? Do you know what goes on in other clubs behind closed doors? Every corporation has their skeletons, sports aren't any different. Let's just light the fuse and see what happens.

There are a lot of people who say they believe in second chances but when it comes to giving it to someone that affects something they care about, they baulk.

The way I see the Hird situation is ultimately positive.

1. It’s great for him that he feels strong enough to apply for the job and that the club is happy to interview him.
  2. If the process is a sham and it’s how Hird gets hired, then it means our administration has learnt nothing and will remain impatient with coaches, rebuilds complete with in-fighting if Hird wasn’t coach. In this situation he’s uniquely positioned to succeed. If he fails then it should be the final nail in the coffin that causes the upheaval we need, without the shadow of Hird lurking.
  3. If the process is not a sham then either:
    • Hird is unsuccessful, those who are worried about him coaching can celebrate; OR
    • Hird is successful, meaning it’s likely Walls, Lewis etc considered him the best applicant. Hird was prepared to go through the process and gained the position in a fair fight.
We need a final nail in the coffin? The previous 20 aren't enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back