Who will be our new coach next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine those two hard asses coaching the fairies that couldn’t take a bake off noble
I’d cop a bake off those premiership coaches over a list manager/gm of footy pretending to be a coach

Hell even a experienced assistant coach I’d respect more

Still baffles me we gave an admin type a head coach role

Rumour has Nesbit from Eagles is leaving maybe an approach is needed as the last CEO who left was Cook and look what he did for Geelong.
Jason McCartney for list manager
Trevor Nesbitt would actually have been a great shout to have performed the whole of club review (from an outside perspective).

I'm with Gaso on this, has to be someone with experience.

Gotta be any of Clarko, Williams, Simmo or Buckley. And yes I would absolutely take Buckley, I don't care about the past history biz because beggars can't be choosers.

We can't f*ck around this time with unproven coaches, we need someone capable of getting to finals and grand finals.

And a coach .........

Definitely not Leon Cameron. Came across as the floggiest flog in the making their mark doco
Agree,, and based on that I was surprised he last till the end of last season.....a lot of talk from him on what NEEDS to happen but nothing concrete on HOW to do it.

I remember watching one of my kid's schoolboy rugby union games, down at half time, coach calm as you like says to the boys. "ok fellas, how can we turn this around and win"......one of the kids speaks up, "Mr H, we need to get the ball on the outside and use our speed cause their forwards are smashing us"......coach says, " yes I agree, so boys, I want to see 3 quick passes, before anyone carries the ball forward"........and they went through the season undefeated. He asked the players their thoughts, he involved them in the decision making process, he came up with a quick plan, he communicated it clearly and concisely, and the kids were involved so they bought into the course of action.

Corporate strategy is also no different. It requires leaders to listen to their people, and get them to buy into and own the decision. I fear there is too many people trying to cover their own back and finger pointing going on at North to be able to all pull in the same direction.

So exactly where is Clarkson going to end up?? I don’t understand how he isn’t front and centre in our thinking yet most on here seem to dismiss our ability to appoint him? I don’t get it?

From all reports he wants to go to a team in the window .... not a club that been shoved through one.

From all reports he wants to go to a team in the window .... not a club that been shoved through one.

The headline is that he said that he wants to go to a side that he thinks can win a premiership, but he has mentioned in interviews that he is happy to join a club that may be five years off as long as he feels the infrastructure is there to build around.

Given his earlier comments and our expected coaching vacancy, I found it very interesting that he said he’d be interested in a side that he could lead to a flag in five years time.

The so-called war chest relates to the total player payment (salary cap), and not the soft cap for football department spend.
recruiting Lynch the way we did sounded like soft cap full,,,,,until we had a couple of recruiters resign, then enabled Lynch to gracefully retire I doubt without even doing a training run,,,,,and now can afford GW as a consultant.....which begs the question, just how much are we paying *ing roos?

Last edited:
Look at the fixture. We have a tough 4 weeks which correlates with Walsh's review period before he is due to go overseas in August. Then we have 4 games to close out the season where we are not without a chance. If we happened to make a change in 4 weeks, it's entirely predictable that we would snag a couple of wins to finish the year off. Sacked coach bounce could easily happen.
Where's he going? Hawaii to press gang Roos into coming back and actually doing some meaningful work??? Like coaching perhaps?

That last one's a tough call given that only one premiership in the last 20 seasons has featured a coach who was appointed to that position after having coached at least one match of AFL beforehand. That's to say, 19 out 20 premierships have been won by coaches who were appointed as novices.

I understand that you feel experience is essential right now, but if Nathan Buckley doesn't want to coach next year, and if Clarko has somewhere else to be, then your commitment to NMFC might hinge on us choosing Leon Cameron, Ross Lyon, or James Hird.
Yeah and lets face it Roos did a lot of the heavy lifting to set up both Longmire and Goodwin. Bomber Thompson for Chris Scott as well. It's a shame about Bomber, if not for the obvious issues and having met him a couple of tiimes I reckon you couldn't get a much better bloke for the job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Williams will be the man for us.
He's been involved with developing young kids for the past few years at VFL and Senior level.
We'll be needing someone of his calibre as we're most likely going to be purging the draft/state leagues for a few years.

The headline is that he said that he wants to go to a side that he thinks can win a premiership, but he has mentioned in interviews that he is happy to join a club that may be five years off as long as he feels the infrastructure is there to build around.

Given his earlier comments and our expected coaching vacancy, I found it very interesting that he said he’d be interested in a side that he could lead to a flag in five years time.
in context a lot can change very quickly,,,,,dogs under McArthy, hell we flogged carlton last year for people to be talking about flag prospects etc.....I think we are actually closer to a flag now than any time in the last 10 years......ie/ need to go down, (get, keep, develop elite talent) before you can go up.

Scanning the league plus general chat this is a list of potential candidates. Haven't included contracted senior coaches eg Simpson.
  • Buckley
  • Burns
  • Cameron
  • Caracella
  • Clarkson
  • Giansiracusa
  • Graham
  • Hird
  • Kingsley
  • Lappin
  • Leppitsch
  • Lloyd
  • McVeigh
  • Montgomery
  • Newman
  • Pyke
  • R.Harvey
  • Schoefield
  • Solomon
  • Williams
  • Yze
This is not a commentary on who would be interested in our senior coaching role or who I'd like to have in that role.

I think Clarkson is a huge show, however it is reliant on the Tasmania decision, as thats his job for the taking. I think the AFL would nudge him towards us, considering how ordinary we are on field at the moment.

If not Clarkson, Choco would be absolutely perfect. Would have a brilliant relationship with all players, and in particular Tarryn and JHF, who need to be reset on the right path. Even CCJ too.

We absolutely cannot go with an untried coach.

Says in there he is not fussed how long it takes, but wants to win more silverware
I think he's been pretty clearly stating his interest for a while without completely disrespecting Noble. That's my take. I can see the appeal of Clarkson, besides the obvious history of performance it gives players nowhere to hide. It would be a brave player that would imply that he knew better.

That last one's a tough call given that only one premiership in the last 20 seasons has featured a coach who was appointed to that position after having coached at least one match of AFL beforehand. That's to say, 19 out 20 premierships have been won by coaches who were appointed as novices.

I understand that you feel experience is essential right now, but if Nathan Buckley doesn't want to coach next year, and if Clarko has somewhere else to be, then your commitment to NMFC might hinge on us choosing Leon Cameron, Ross Lyon, or James Hird.
Hird

Nope

I’d cop a bake off those premiership coaches over a list manager/gm of footy pretending to be a coach

Hell even a experienced assistant coach I’d respect more

Still baffles me we gave an admin type a head coach role

I understand what you're saying but it also says something about Australian Rules football that this remains the conventional wisdom. In the round ball game, Arsene Wenger and Gerard Houllier went alright as managers yet they never played professionally. In basketball, Gregg Popovich did okay for himself in the NBA despite never playing at that level. In fact, half the NBA coaches never reached the NBA as players.

Maybe our sport is unique, but it is a bit of a concern though, if AFL players (and more importantly, players on our list) are unable to respect the title and position that the coach has regardless of his own playing record.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back