Who will be the last team to be beaten by GC and GWS?

Remove this Banner Ad

Magic Mike

All Australian
Nov 9, 2011
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hi guys,

With the chance of notching up our inaugural win over Melbourne this Sunday, it's got me thinking about the team(s) that will be the last to lose a game to either expansion team.

After joining the AFL in 1995, Fremantle had managed to register a win against every team by Round 2, 2000 with Port Adelaide being the last team they registered a win against. The first team they registered a win against was Fitzroy.

After joining the AFL in 1997, Port Adelaide had managed to register a win against every team by Round 8, 2003 with North Melbourne being the last team they registered a win against. The first team they registered a win against was Geelong.

In summary, it took 6 seasons for Fremantle, and 7 seasons for Port Adelaide.

Will it take GC and GWS longer than that to notch up wins against each of the other 16 teams in the league? Keep in mind that Fremantle and Port Adelaide were competitive from the get go, rather than spending their early years in the cellar.

Call it a game of survivor if you wish, but this will be fun to watch as both expansion teams continue to develop.

Will the last team to remain unbeaten be one of the teams up the top end of the ladder at present (Collingwood, Hawthorn, Sydney, Geelong), or will those teams drop a game to the expansion teams sooner than expected, leaving a current mid table side such as West Coast, Fremantle, Adelaide, Essendon or North Melbourne to be the last man standing.

Here is the list of teams that GC and GWS have beaten, and I will update the list over time as both GC and GWS register their inaugural wins against each of the 16 established clubs.

Established teams that Gold Coast have beaten (in order):
#1 - Port Adelaide - round 5 2011
#2 - Brisbane - round 7 2011
#3 - Richmond - round 17 2011
#NA - GWS - round 20 2012
#4 - Carlton - round 22 2012
#5 - St Kilda - round 1 2013
#6 - Melbourne - round 7 2013
#7 - Western Bulldogs - round 8 2013
#8 - North Melbourne - round 11 2013
#9 - Collingwood - round 17 2013
#10 - Geelong - round 14 2014
#11 - Essendon - round 21 2015
#12 - Fremantle - round 2 2016
#13 - Hawthorn - round 3 2017
#14 - West Coast Eagles~ - round 11 2017
#15 - Sydney - round 18 2018
#16 - Adelaide - round 3 2020

Remaining: no team

Established teams that GWS Giants have beaten (in order):
#NA - Gold Coast - round 7 2012
#1 - Port Adelaide - round 19 2012
#2 - Melbourne - round 19 2013
#3 - Sydney - round 1 2014
#4 - Brisbane - round 13 2014
#5 - Carlton - round 14 2014
#6 - Western Bulldogs - round 23 2014
#7 - St Kilda - round 1 2015
#8 - Hawthorn - round 6 2015
#9 - Adelaide - round 8 2015
#10 - Essendon - round 19 2015
#11 - Geelong - round 2 2016
#12 - Fremantle - round 7 2016
#13 - Richmond - round 19 2016
#14 - North Melbourne - round 23 2016
#15 - Collingwood - round 8 2017
#16 - West Coast Eagles - round 10 2017

Remaining: no team

~ West Coast drew with GCFC round 18 2015

Last edited by a moderator:

In summary, it took 6 seasons for Fremantle, and 7 seasons for Port Adelaide.

Interesting - Both West Coast and Adelaide had clocked up wins over each established team by their third season. West Coast took until 1989 season to finally beat Sydney, and Adelaide had to wait until the last round of 1993 to beat Collingwood (which got them into the finals).

-- Also, what kind of anomaly does the fact that Fremantle's 'last-first win' was in 2000 against Port suggest? considering that Port were the new team, and Fremantle had two less seasons to clock up their first win against them compared to each other team.

• Banned
What about the record between GC and GWS? Have they both beaten each other yet?

Head to Head:
Gold Coast - 2
GWS Giants - 1

That apart, established teams....last team for GC will be Essendon. Last team for GWS will be Melbourne.

There's a post to bookmark and get back to me on, I'll be right yet again :p

Bookmarked ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After joining the AFL in 1995, Fremantle had managed to register a win against every team by Round 2, 2000 with Port Adelaide being the last team they registered a win against.

If teams that don't exist yet count (which they do, according to this), the last team GWS will beat is going to be the Christchurch Knights.

As said above, it's a bit misleading to put Port in there (although I spose it makes sense looking back at it) in terms of Freo wins.

Whoever said Essendon and Melbourne above might be on the money I reckon. Alternatively Sydney have been one of the only sides who have done the job super easily every time so far. Teams a little ahead of their development (North, Richmond) have had some big scares (and losses, in the Tigers case).

Also why are the sooky la-la's whining in this thread? If you don't like it down-vote and move on.

Whoever said Essendon and Melbourne above might be on the money I reckon.
I understand the general idea of tipping Melbourne (as they're only going to go up, and not going to crash and burn in the near future like West Coast has already started to do), but picking a club that close to the development will result in a win to GC/GWS if Melbourne has any injuries or there's other unseen circumstances.

Maybe Melbourne for GWS, but I will be hugely surprised if Gold Coast don't beat them within the next 18 months.

I understand the general idea of tipping Melbourne (as they're only going to go up, and not going to crash and burn in the near future like West Coast has already started to do), but picking a club that close to the development will result in a win to GC/GWS if Melbourne has any injuries or there's other unseen circumstances.

Maybe Melbourne for GWS, but I will be hugely surprised if Gold Coast don't beat them within the next 18 months.

Oh definitely, sorry, I was referring to GWS like the poster above (Essendon was for GC, Melbourne for GWS). I think there'll be spite there for a while and if Melbourne can beat them at their lowest ebb (2012/2013) in a while they should be able to hold them off for a few more seasons, assuming the situation doesn't get worse. I think GC might well get up over them next time they play, bit of a 50/50 that one.

I reckon Essendon or Geelong an I'm not trying to bias , they have alot of young stars coming up that might compete against them at both ends of the field . . . Other teams lack in one or two area's with aging players or depth example Hawks backline is aging or carlton has no up and coming forward line . . .

Slightly biased being an ACT GWS member, but am I the only one here that thinks GWS will likely knock Melbourne off at Skoda later this year?

Slightly biased being an ACT GWS member, but am I the only one here that thinks GWS will likely knock Melbourne off at Skoda later this year?
Probably not the only one, but I don't see it as particularly likely. I don't think that they have enough experience for home ground advantage to be much of a factor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back