Prediction Will AFLX survive another year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
There doesn't seem to be much love for this.
Today, it was announced that more players are pulling out.
If even the players can't take it seriously, what is AFLX's future?

See how it goes. I actually really like the idea of players on different teams playing with each other.
That said I doubt I'll watch it.

Problem is, players don't want to risk an injury playing a game that has absolutely no effect on the season proper. I can only imagine the furore if superstar players like J Kelly, Whitfield, Danger, Fyfe, Cripps, Riewoldt etc. got injured. With that said, the AFL will probably try to push it for another year if it fails, lol. They don't accept the will of the public that often (starting positions anyone?).

See how it goes. I actually really like the idea of players on different teams playing with each other.
That said I doubt I'll watch it.

Could've had the same thing with a State of Origin theme...

Last year they launched it like a circus act.
This year they made it seem like kids in a playground picking sides.
To be honest, I don't see the point.
Is it really likely to catch on like touch and futsal?
Both of those hybrids are played by thousands (millions in the case of futsal).

Nope, a couple of Hawks.
I think our three genuinely like playing it.

Clarkson's no dummy.
I still remember losing Trav Varcoe for a year after injuring himself playing the stoopid hybrid game.

As for the actual product itself, it's little more than circle work; I've seen more intent at an NBA all-star game - the feigned excitement regarding the 'zooper' was incredibly cringeworthy.

If Hawkins goes down with injury I will spew up.

Hope the whole concept dies asap before young footy fans are taught that singing 'we will rock you' after every zooper is the normal way of things.

The thing that confuses me the most about AFLX is that, IIRC, it was designed partially to get international fans interested in the sport, which would make sense if the actual game did look remotely similar to the "main" game.

The thing that confuses me the most about AFLX is that, IIRC, it was designed partially to get international fans interested in the sport, which would make sense if the actual game did look remotely similar to the "main" game.
Yes. When you shrink rugby and soccer down, it translates well on a smaller rectangle and the rules are similar.
Footy is a 360 degree game, so once it is enclosed in a box it doesn't translate.

Hopefully not good.

The answer is of course obvious, which is why the AFL hasn't considered it.

Just have practice matches. If the club's don't take them seriously that's their problem. For those that do, it's the same game, with the same rules, and gets players properly match fit before round 1. Makes sense to me.

What I think the AFL needs to do is have the women play AFLX.
Currently, there are only about 5 or 6 really good players per teams in the AFLW and it will be another 10 years before they can field a quality side of all 22 players. For the women to succeed they need to play a different game than the men otherwise it’s just like watching junior footy.
In the men’s AFLX the forwards don’t get used as much as was originally intended, as the midfielders go for the super goal. There is not to many women who can reliably kick over 40m so the super goal becomes more important and the forwards have to be used.
Personally, I hope both the AFLW & AFLX succeed and I believe this is the best way for that to happen in the short term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If a good player gets seriously hurt it will be absolutely dead and buried... But otherwise the AFL doesn't tend to ever like to admit they are wrong on something, so they are likely to continue to push it.. And likely a junket will be involved to the states

I predict they'll stick out 3-4 more tortuous seasons for two reasons. First they'll look at the gap in time between T20 being developed and the rise in its popularity and will come to the conclusion they need to stick it out. Second, people in power are generally bad at admitting they were wrong

I have no real interest in AFLX in its current form other than hoping we see no serious injury to the players involved - for all the hype that players were keen that's starting to seem a little questionable considering that players have been withdrawing since the draft was held.

If the AFL really wants to continue with this idea in future years why not put a twist on it and rather than market it as one night of watching the best players, change it to something like 'AFLX Generation Next' - say 1st to 3rd year players with less than 20 games so it's an opportunity to watch recent draftees who we may not otherwise have seen without going to VFL, NEAFL etc.

I'd also tweak the idea of Danger & Hodge as C & VC (swap names for the other teams) and instead use them as coaches or mentors to work with the team of youngsters for say a week before the night of matches.

None of that is likely to happen though

The AFL are going to keep looking for their T20/Rugby 7s.

I don't think AFLX is it, especially with the jank rules we currently have. But I guarantee you there will be similar things done in the future.

I predict they'll stick out 3-4 more tortuous seasons for two reasons. First they'll look at the gap in time between T20 being developed and the rise in its popularity and will come to the conclusion they need to stick it out. Second, people in power are generally bad at admitting they were wrong
I think you're right about them sticking it out. AFL is nothing if not stubborn!
Interesting that all the games, including the GF, are played on the one day.
At least it will be over and done with quickly.

I think you're right about them sticking it out. AFL is nothing if not stubborn!
Interesting that all the games, including the GF, are played on the one day.
At least it will be over and done with quickly.
One night - all over in about 3 hours with first game at 7:10 & gf starting at 9:57

Remove this Banner Ad

Back