Votes: 35 36.8%
  • No, but they will play in the Grand Final

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • No, they will bow out against Adelaide this weekend

Votes: 56 58.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You would think we lost Selwood and Hawkins going by the talk. Only Enright was of real value in terms of losses and both Touhy and thurlow can go a fair way to offsetting that loss. Our performance will depend far more on strategies, injuries and how much the kids improve.
Does losing Caddy impact though?
Teams need to bat deep in the middle and he was part of your midfield second rotation.

Teams need to bat deep in the middle and he was part of your midfield second rotation.
Caddy had talent but he was injured for most of last year and reduced to an average forward pocket by finals. His loss is big because of his potential and not because of what he contributed last year.

Highest scoring team in the league that season. Averaged over two goals more per game (14.68) more than Sydney that year. However Sydney conceded 8.92 less per game.
Straying waaay off topic their mate, is a cats thread after all :/

Losing Enright and Bartel will be a blessing in disguise. Their lack of pace really hurt Geelong. Enright being turned inside out is the reason Smith got the shot in the first place.

It wasn't pace that caused that to happen, it was Enright overcommitting to the original contest. As soon as he went in I swore at the tv, I knew the Cats were in big trouble. Dare I say that for someone of his experience, it was a rookie mistake. Either that or poor talking from his team mates, but in a tight, energy sapping contest, these things happen late in games when players are severely fatigued. Only saved by Smith's miss of course.

As to whether or not they are a flag threat this year as per the OP. I'd say no.

Being very generous here but that forward line and they way the move the ball into it is ****ed.

Defence and midfield have barely been an issue for well over a decade. It's that bloody forward line.

Now that players, post compromised drafts have or are maturing at other clubs, I'd expect some to climb past the Cats.

Being really optimistic, I'd say their hopes rest on the likes of Menzel, Motlop, Cockatoo and anyone else that may be able to kick a goal.

No flag, but anywhere from top 4 (if other sides that improved last year don't continue to improve) or just outside the top 8.

I just can't see them making finals this year. I think the immediate impact of having Dangerfield play in the middle while lessen this year and I worry that their backline will not hold up. It's all speculation at this point but I suspect they will be one of the teams that slide out of the 8 in 2017.

They'll be top 4 again comfortably

Will finish 1-3rd but go out in straight sets. Maybe make the prelim on the off chance.

Dunno where I mentioned Collingwood's list. I did mention our supporters and their penchant to overrate our players. I'm not one of them and I doubt we'll play finals.

You, on the other hand have stated that:
1. Geelong won't lose a game.
2. Geelong has the best and deepest midfield in the comp.
3. Geelong's backline is SO good they can afford to plonk Taylor up forward (still hasn't been tested, let alone succeeded).
4. Geelong has the best ruck combination in the comp.

Got to love Denis' optimism.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes he was arguably our third best mid really everything that went out this off season means we will be nowhere on the same level of out put from last season.

You misinterpreted what I meant. Mitchell Madness said we were significantly better than the middle tier teams (WB, GWS and Adelaide) we came up against. To write those teams off as middle tier and use it as proof that Geelong would be making up the numbers at best, particularly after we went 5-1 against those teams and 9-3 against the top 8 overall is ridiculously dumb.

Shame we can't be the consistent against teams outside the 8

I'm confident Geelong will be a better team than last year.

Progression of younger players Lang, Cockatoo, McCarthy, Kolodjashnij and Thurlow all best 22.

Improvement on last year with the players who haven't played regularly over the past couple of season. S.Selwood, Menzel, Z.Smith, Menagola, Black and Cowan.

Players ready to take the next step. Weather they do or not could be the factor in Geelong's flag chances. Duncan, Guthrie, Motlop.

Similar to last year. Dangerfeild, Selwood, Hawkins, Henderson, Taylor, Blicavs, Lonergan

Best 22.

B- Mackie, Lonergan, Kolodjashnij
HB- Thurlow, Henderson, Tuohy
C- Motlop, J.Selwood, Duncan
HF- Cockatoo, Taylor, Lang
F- Menzel, Hawkins, McCarthy
R- Smith, Danger, Guthrie
I/C-Menagola, Stanley, S.Selwood, Cowan
Emerg- Blicavs, Bews, Black
Depth- Murdoch, Ruggles,Stewart, Horlin-Smith, Gregson, Parfitt, Gardener

"Tell him he's dreaming"

Does anyone remember a preseason where there wasn't a can Geelong win the flag thread hovering around on the front page of the main board for months on end? Probably have to go back to 2007. Why do opposition fans have so much interest in Geelong?

It probably has something to do with the fact that Geelong have been the benchmark of the AFL since 2007.

Does anyone remember a preseason where there wasn't a can Geelong win the flag thread hovering around on the front page of the main board for months on end? Probably have to go back to 2007. Why do opposition fans have so much interest in Geelong?

I think it is a mark of respect, Geelong is always a tough opponent and even with a weakened line up as you have currently, are not to be taken lightly.

I think it is a mark of respect, Geelong is always a tough opponent and even with a weakened line up as you have currently, are not to be taken lightly.
It has been 5 years now since we have played in a GF. Second longest stretch since I started following the team in the late eighties. You think these threads would of stopped by now.

It has been 5 years now since we have played in a GF. Second longest stretch since I started following the team in the late eighties. You think these threads would of stopped by now.

Yeah but then Geelong pulled off recruiting the games best player last year.

Bottom 6 for mine. The forward line is too dependent on injury riddled and flakey players...ageing kpp's and a lack of midfield class beyond dangerwood won't help their cause. Add a much tougher draw (Hawks, Giants and bogey side Coll'wood x2) and I think they're up against it in '17

Bottom 6 for mine. The forward line is too dependent on injury riddled and flakey players...ageing kpp's and a lack of midfield class beyond dangerwood won't help their cause. Add a much tougher draw (Hawks, Giants and bogey side Coll'wood x2) and I think they're up against it in '17
Hawks x2 is not a hard draw. It's a guaranteed 8 point head-start, as it has been for the majority of the past decade.

Everything you said is spot on (except on the draw, Adelaide, Bulldogs and Giants twice was tougher than Hawks, Giants and Magpies). It was also true in 2016 though, and we made a pre-lim.

We'll hover somewhere between 5 and 8th before losing the first final.

They'll be top 4 again comfortably

Don't see it. They surprised me in 2016 but their results were on the back of Dnager having one of the greatest seasons ever compiled. It covered an ageing list and with Bartels and Enright gone, Caddy gone, Harry and Hawkins a year older and looking to be struggling with the pace of the game, I think along with Hawks and Roos, could be one of the teams to fall from grace.

People keep asking if there is room for Pies, Port, Saints, Dees in the 8. I think there are 3 locks - Swans, GWS, Doggies. Two very probables - West Coast and Crows. Then Cats, Hawks, Saints, Dees, Port, Pies, Bombers - fighting for 3 spots.

Don't see it. They surprised me in 2016 but their results were on the back of Dnager having one of the greatest seasons ever compiled. It covered an ageing list and with Bartels and Enright gone, Caddy gone, Harry and Hawkins a year older and looking to be struggling with the pace of the game, I think along with Hawks and Roos, could be one of the teams to fall from grace.

People keep asking if there is room for Pies, Port, Saints, Dees in the 8. I think there are 3 locks - Swans, GWS, Doggies. Two very probables - West Coast and Crows. Then Cats, Hawks, Saints, Dees, Port, Pies, Bombers - fighting for 3 spots.
Crows aren't a lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back