Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Indeed. Traded it away when list crying out for more elite young talent.
Caleb Serong was picked up at the pick 8 you traded away.
We just drafted 3 good kids, in what was widely regarded as an even draft.
Next year is the better draft, and we have an extra first round pick and extra second round pick. Very well positioned, and happy with our approach.

That’s usually what 10 years of s**t footy gets you. But well done.
Imagine the list you could’ve had with some decent recruiters...

More like 20 years. Prior to this rebuild we have been an extremely poor club for 2 decades. Worst in our history. Poor club run by poor people. Different now since MLG took over and brought in the right people. SOS has done an amazing job when you consider what he started with. Been able to leverage picks, players and get real value for money. Our list is very close. They just need experience and another 1-2 Russell pre seasons. In 60 years of watching the Blues it’s the most talented young list I have seen.

People are just starting to realise it but this has been building for 3-4 years. we have now addressed the midfield run and ball use and depth.

Little bit of luck and we will push finals in 2020 and be right around top 4 in 2021.

We just drafted 3 good kids, in what was widely regarded as an even draft.
Next year is the better draft, and we have an extra first round pick and extra second round pick. Very well positioned, and happy with our approach.
Ok, if you are happy with it, that is nice.
i really thought you could do with some elite young talent rather than just a few good prospects to try out.
Caleb Serong would have been ideal imo, for North to build with.

You’re over-paying for him full stop. and betts is cooked. So justifying it with pick comments and payment structure means zero. Sorry, but is this really a shock to you?
& i actually think I could’ve done a better job than your current list manager. but then you’d be a stronger team for it. So all’s good as is....

Are we? The Dogs offered Martin 700k.

Betts kicked 37 goals last year and would’ve won your own clubs goalkicking.

And we kept 9.

Build the statue.

You’re over-paying for him full stop. and betts is cooked. So justifying it with pick comments and payment structure means zero. Sorry, but is this really a shock to you?
& i actually think I could’ve done a better job than your current list manager. but then you’d be a stronger team for it. So all’s good as is....

Betts cost nothing and Crows are paying part of his salary. He will be good for a year, increase interest and membership whilst being a great mentor to the younger kids.

Martin we for nothing and will pay most of his money in year one then he is cheap and gives our list lots of room for a big fish if we can and pay our young talent. All good

This year we have traded out Phillips and future 4th rounder whilst bringing in Betts Martin Pittonet Newnes Kemp Philps Honey Phillips and we did it without a second round pick.

Looks like a WIN to me 😎

More like 20 years. Prior to this rebuild we have been an extremely poor club for 2 decades. Worst in our history. Poor club run by poor people. Different now since MLG took over and brought in the right people. SOS has done an amazing job when you consider what he started with. Been able to leverage picks, players and get real value for money. Our list is very close. They just need experience and another 1-2 Russell pre seasons. In 60 years of watching the Blues it’s the most talented young list I have seen.

People are just starting to realise it but this has been building for 3-4 years. we have now addressed the midfield run and ball use and depth.

Little bit of luck and we will push finals in 2020 and be right around top 4 in 2021.
Thank you for your honesty, and apologies for my initial tone.
yes, SOS has pulled off some decent trades on paper, but they often simply haven’t worked out. Continuity is good and massive list clean outs do not enable this. Then some of the drafting has been poor... meaning a waste of missing finals for seemingly all of this millennia.
& I think you’ll need all of these kids to come on, with Murphy, Simpson and Kruze all about to retire.
BTW I’d feel exactly the same if I was a blues fan. Having SOS as a list manager is like us having Tony Shaw as a coach. Love the guy, but not qualified imo.
will admit you should finally move up the ladder though, as you would naturally expect to do, after a 12 year rebuild.

Thank you for your honesty, and apologies for my initial tone.
yes, SOS has pulled off some decent trades on paper, but they often simply haven’t worked out. Continuity is good and massive list clean outs do not enable this. Then some of the drafting has been poor... meaning a waste of missing finals for seemingly all of this millennia.
& I think you’ll need all of these kids to come on, with Murphy, Simpson and Kruze all about to retire.
BTW I’d feel exactly the same if I was a blues fan. Having SOS as a list manager is like us having Tony Shaw as a coach. Love the guy, but not qualified imo.
will admit you should finally move up the ladder though, as you would naturally expect to do, after a 12 year rebuild.

Nothing to do with the name. I really like what he has done. All recruiters have misses especially later but SOS overall has done a great job. This list is has been rebuilt over 5 years and that is quick. Time will tell how it works out but at this stage I really like it. People forget we were the unfittest list in the AFL before Russell took over. He still needs another 12-18 months to get them where he wants them. We also have most positions well covered.

I hope by seasons end Simpson Kruezer Murphy Betts aren’t automatic best 22. If they aren’t all is going to plan.

Are we? The Dogs offered Martin 700k.

Betts kicked 37 goals last year and would’ve won your own clubs goalkicking.

And we kept 9.

Build the statue.
Betts is 33 now... how long do you think he’ll keep kicking 37 in a season. Amazes me how people gloss over age. Adelaide didn’t though. Game passes you by quickly. Especially when you’re 173cm and rely on quick instincts. Good for SPS and Martin, yes, but no better than a skilled forward line coach for any others.
And I still don’t see Martin settling. Think he will request a trade back to WA in 2 years, when the salary drops and the output vs expectation doesn’t materialise.

Betts is 33 now... how long do you think he’ll keep kicking 37 in a season. Amazes me how people gloss over age. Adelaide didn’t though. Game passes you by quickly. Especially when you’re 173cm and rely on quick instincts. Good for SPS and Martin, yes, but no better than a skilled forward line coach for any others.
And I still don’t see Martin settling. Think he will request a trade back to WA in 2 years, when the salary drops and the output vs expectation doesn’t materialise.

see my post above. #557. I reckon you are looking at it way too simplistically

I find Richmond the most interesting draft of everyone, admittedly they can afford to take a risk this year. However on face value their first pick was rated by most in the 30’s and their second and third picks at 44 & 45 they took players that Brisbane didn’t value at pick 59 and they have watched them closely all year.

very interesting draft by the tigers i agree;

Dow was pick 21 so being rated 'in the 30s' (#30 on draft central) doesnt seem like a big deal(?). A bit of a reach perhaps but not really that much of a shock.

I like that he and Ralphsmith are bottom age. Given the log game jam of players trying to get into the senior side.

Cumberland was pretty highly talked about by some tigers fans prior to the draft so looking forward to seeing how he turns out, dont know much about Martyn but with the like of Menadue and Ellis leaving another winger type was maybe needed.

Bigoa Nyuon is a welcome addition to the club, another tall developing player was a strong requirement IMO

As you say winning the premierships and having a fairly young list allows flexibility lets hope they got it right this year. Pretty good record recently. at the draft table

Last edited:
It's okay but the Blues have the best Under 23 talent in the AFL. GCS improving dramatically as well.

Curnow
McKay
Weitering
Setterfield
Walsh
Stocker
Cuningham
SPS
Dow
O'Brien
Marchbank
DeKoning
Kemp
Fisher
Williamson
plus a few others that I reckon will step up as well including this years draftees Philp Honey Ramsey & Phillip

Got a lot of time for the Blues (they're my second team as they're my partner's team), but don't think I'd be boasting about DeKoning, O'Brien, Stocker, Dow, Setterfield and Williamson, given what we've seen thus far. The rest, fair enough.

That leaves you with 9 top end talent (8 if you don't include Kemp who is an unknown right now), possible A/B graders. I could argue that Geelong, whilst contending, has a similar amount in the under 23 bracket right now -

Henry
Ratugolea
Clark
Parfitt
Narkle
Constable
Miers
O'Connor
C. Stephens (though like Kemp, we don't know what he'll produce)

That's 8 or 9, same as Carlton. We've done this after dropping no further than 9th, winning 3 flags, and playing in 12/13 finals series'. I'm not sure your measure of under 23 talent, is the best measure in this circumstance.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not being smart but name one player who’s done an ACL before the age of 20 or in their draft year that has lived up to their draft day hype. It’s a landslide of disappointment

Off the top of my head
Joel Selwood
Jake Lever
Jake stringer
These guys all missed there top age draft year and still went on to be drafted in the first round and become star players

Got a lot of time for the Blues (they're my second team as they're my partner's team), but don't think I'd be boasting about DeKoning, O'Brien, Stocker, Dow, Setterfield and Williamson, given what we've seen thus far. The rest, fair enough.

That leaves you with 9 top end talent (8 if you don't include Kemp who is an unknown right now), possible A/B graders. I could argue that Geelong, whilst contending, has a similar amount in the under 23 bracket right now -

Henry
Ratugolea
Clark
Parfitt
Narkle
Constable
Miers
O'Connor
C. Stephens (though like Kemp, we don't know what he'll produce)

That's 8 or 9, same as Carlton. We've done this after dropping no further than 9th, winning 3 flags, and playing in 12/13 finals series'. I'm not sure your measure of under 23 talent, is the best measure in this circumstance.

I agree they need to establish themselves but Setterfield is a star and I’m very confident on the others. By the end of next season a lot of people will be looking at them very differently

Bang for buck of what we gave up in trades and draft picks I feel we did best when fully look through what teams have and have not in terms of elite talent coming in and draft picks lost for now or next period..
I think Cats did well considering they had little choice but to trade Kelly for an array of draft picks.
Recycling pick 27 into next year's pick 11 on the back of Suns throwing picks away like candy because of AFL gifts is really good result for old Geelong list.
But I really like talent Fremantle drafted with but they gave up a lot in trade period to have a good draft hand.
Essendon really felt the pain for overpaying for Shiel previous trade period and therefore could not be very active this draft.

very interesting draft by the tigers i agree;

Dow was pick 21 so being rated 'in the 30s' (#30 on draft central) doesnt seem like a big deal(?). A bit of a reach perhaps but not really that much of a shock.

I like that he and Ralphsmith are bottom age. Given the log game of players trying to get into the senior side.

Cumberland was pretty highly talked about by some tigers fans prior to the draft so looking forward to seeing how he turns out, dont know much about Martyn but with the like of Menadue and Ellis leaving another winger type was maybe needed.

Bigoa Nyuon is a welcome addition to the club, another tall developing player was a strong requirement IMO

As you say winning the premierships and having a fairly young list allows flexibility lets hope they got it right this year. Pretty good record recently. at the draft table

I liked the Tigers picks and I really liked Freo’s top 3. Very talented trio

Jon ORourke (too small, constantly injured)
Pat McKenna (cricketer recruited from country leagues, not good enough, no exposed form against top players)
Liam Sumner (too short and small in his draft year)
Patrick Dow (too small to play inside mid)

No such thing as to small in the modern day AFL, look at Neale
He’s 178cm one of the best contested ball winners in the game, Zorko Walters.
I remembered watching Dustin Martin try and fend off Zac Fisher 176cm in R1 this year, only for Fisher to stick the tackle and bust him HTB.

It ain’t about the size of the dog in the fight, it’s about the fight in the dog

Ill leave out Pickett because he is not a centre square mid but same story, too small.

Ok, if you are happy with it, that is nice.
i really thought you could do with some elite young talent rather than just a few good prospects to try out.
Caleb Serong would have been ideal imo, for North to build with.
We're building around the quality kids we recently drafted... Thomas, LDU, Simpkin, Zurhaar, Larkey..
Bailey Scott won a RS nomination in his very first game he played, in a team flogged by 80+ points, before getting injured and missing most of last year. He's bloody good.
Plus Bonar a number 11 draft pick from just 2 years ago.
Our youth is not as bad as any many like to incorrectly state.

We're building around the quality kids we recently drafted... Thomas, LDU, Simpkin, Zurhaar, Larkey..
Bailey Scott won a RS nomination in his very first game he played, in a team flogged by 80+ points, before getting injured and missing most of last year. He's bloody good.
Plus Bonar a number 11 draft pick from just 2 years ago.
Our youth is not as bad as any many like to incorrectly state.
I agree if some are saying your youth is bad, they go little idea.
I think you do not have enough good youth but the few you got I quite like.
Some more elite talent is what really these other kids need with them.
Missing the chance to get someone like Serong now I believe was a poor decision for your list development at this point in time.
Hopefully your later picks you did keep make up for missing an early pick or two.

GCS, GWS and Freo nailed it for mine. Then daylight, then prob Syd, Coll, and Adelaide.

GWS two top five players, maybe even top 3. GCS gave away pick 11 next year, but it’s a compromised draft, so that could easily slide to 18. Getting Flanders and Sharp seems a big bonus, so they will be v happy, and are now my second favorite team. Freo is obvious, cards fell beautifully for them. Melb I don't hate, but too many question marks to say they got it right. Syd seems like a v nice balance and great value picks, whilst Port could’ve done better imo. Coll two bargains, still not sure how that happened. Rantall upside seems huge, and Bianco height plus no massive weapons seeing him slide maybe...
North a bit bizarre, and from afar it feels like cash constraints means they can’t afford an a grade football dept. sad to watch. Plus if Kemp doesn’t recover from his knee, it could be a bust for Carlton. Hope he does though... confident and talented kid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back