Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rolled over to Part 2:

Look at this rubbish.

Abigail Shrier has written a book called Irreversible Damage: The Transgender Craze Seducing Our Daughters. It argues that gender fluidity is a kind of social contagion among teenage girls, with potentially damaging implications. Disagree with that contention, by all means.

But the American Booksellers Association has apologised for listing the book's publication in its communications with its members. But wait for the kicker.

"This is a serious, violent incident that goes against ABA’s policies, values, and everything we believe and support. It is inexcusable," the ABA tweeted.

A violent incident! It's a book. These wingnuts now characterise a book as a "violent incident".

This is the intellectual framework for blasphemy complaints. If a book about trans issues is a "violent incident" then why can't hardline Islamists make the same claim about The Satanic Verses or other depictions of the prophet.

If it's all "violence", then that speech must presumably be curtailed?

The VCE Study designs actually do matter - because that determines what students will actually be assessed upon. The subjects I teach don't have any 'aboriginal perspectives' yet - but I don't doubt that there is working group down a VCAA trying to nut out how they weave it into Software Development.
That said, there has been an increased focus upon ethical considerations and sustainability, which I don't have an issue with because they can often be taught in the context of an existing topic - rather than taking away from the core skills/knowledge of the subject

The VCE Study Designs do matter, but in essence at a Unit 1 and Unit 2 level (Year 11), teachers can be quite selective in what they do and don't teach. After all, teachers set and grade the assessments and exams that students sit. The teaching of the periodic table could still be taught at VCE level, if the teacher wanted. As always, what is selected to teach is most often limited by time.

Unit 3 and 4 (Year 12) is quite different. The exam often worth 50% is set externally, and it is clear that what is listed in the study design could appear on the exam. In the end Year 12 teachers teach to the study design, while Year 11 teachers select content and assessment tasks at year 11 level from the study design that will best prepare students for the rigors and requirements of Year 12.

Only whether a student has achieved an 'S' at year 11 is reported to VCAA, while at year 12 all internally assessed assessment results for the year are reported to VCAA to be moderated against the externally assessed exam. Various Year 12 studies at every school in the state (at least one is selctred at every school) are audited by VCAA every year to ensure the relevant Year 12 study design is being correctly implemented.

If it becomes clear, that year 12 Chemistry will require a good knowledge of the periodic table then that will be taught either at Year 11 level, or at lower levels in 7-10 science, which have chemistry units built into them.

Last edited:

Isn't gynaecological health also a gendered term though? It contains the root Greek word for woman.

Also, a LOT of women (or people who menstruate) don't actually menstruate. Maybe they need to change this to something more inextricably female, like, well, biological female? Trans people feel they were born in the wrong body, so that would include acknowledging their biology, and therefore perhaps we don't need to dance around it.

E6fgIKWXIAEeKWp

Started off okay, and got nonsensical by the end. The "people who menstruate" instead of "girls" part doesn't make any sense. It's like saying dogs don't have 4 legs, because you saw one with 3 once.

Started off okay, and got nonsensical by the end. The "people who menstruate" instead of "girls" part doesn't make any sense. It's like saying dogs don't have 4 legs, because you saw one with 3 once.

Does "people who menstruate" not also exclude young girls and old women who don't yet or no longer menstruate? What do we call them?

Does "people who menstruate" not also exclude young girls and old women who don't yet or no longer menstruate? What do we call them?

I think that's kind of their point though, some women (elderly/kids/trans) don't mestrate. But at some point, I think it's okay to make a generalisation. Not all men get erections, but I don't think people with ED would kick up a stink if I said "blokes get boners".

I think that's kind of their point though, some women (elderly/kids/trans) don't mestrate. But at some point, I think it's okay to make a generalisation. Not all men get erections, but I don't think people with ED would kick up a stink if I said "blokes get boners".

Still not sure I really get it tbh. They're saying not to use the terms women and girls, but instead use people who menstruate. So what do we call the bolded? They're not people who menstruate, but we also shouldn't call them women or girls?

I won't lose any sleep over it, but I'm finding these things more and more confusing.

Potatoes have no gender. And soon, nearly 70 years (sic), the name of Hasbro’s popular spud-shaped toy will reflect that: No more Mr. Potato Head. It’s just Potato Head.​
On Thursday, the company announced it would be rebranding the iconic quick-change toy to break away from traditional ideas about gender roles and family structures - celebrating the wedding and subsequent anniversaries of “Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head,” selling boxed sets of the couple and their offspring, “Spud” and “Yam.”​
The “sweet spot” for the Potato Head toy is about two or three years old​

Midwives have been told to stop using terms including "breastfeeding" and “breastmilk” as part of a new trans-friendly policy at an NHS trust.​
Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals (BSUH) NHS Trust is the first in the country to formally implement a gender inclusive language policy for its maternity services department — which will now be known as "perinatal services".​
Staff have been told to avoid using the word “mothers” on its own and have been given a list of alternative terms to use when addressing patients including "mothers or birthing parents", "breast/chestfeeding" and "maternal and parental".​
Instead of saying "breastmilk", they can choose from "human milk" or "breast/chestmilk" or "milk from the feeding mother or parent".​
The guidance from BHSU follows a 2017 dictate from the British Medical Association which said pregnant women should not be called "expectant mothers" but "pregnant people" as it could offend intersex and transgender men.​

parody account

Still not sure I really get it tbh. They're saying not to use the terms women and girls, but instead use people who menstruate. So what do we call the bolded? They're not people who menstruate, but we also shouldn't call them women or girls?

I won't lose any sleep over it, but I'm finding these things more and more confusing.

It's all a ridiculous rabbit hole of nonsense. If mental gymnastics were a sport at Tokyo 2021 the people that come up with this stuff would be gold medal favourites.

Women's health and 'reproductive health' aren't synonymous.

Women and girls and 'people who menstruate' aren't synonymous.

You can be a girl/woman and a female and not menstruate, and in both cases you may wish to visit a doctor for women's health issues unrelated to the female reproductive system.

We have King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women here. It's a maternity hospital. Ignoring that it's named after a white male and a colonialist, should it be changed to 'for females'? Or should it be 'for birthing parents'? At what point is every base covered?

The woke love group identity, whether it's so specific that said group consists of 1 person or so broad that it includes half the globe. You can be a member of one group that overlaps another but not a member of both. People hell bent on redefining language first ought to learn what a Venn diagram is.

Parody in 1979. Probably cited in university Harvard reference lists in 2021.

It's all a ridiculous rabbit hole of nonsense. If mental gymnastics were a sport at Tokyo 2021 the people that come up with this stuff would be gold medal favourites.

Women's health and 'reproductive health' aren't synonymous.

Women and girls and 'people who menstruate' aren't synonymous.

You can be a girl/woman and a female and not menstruate, and in both cases you may wish to visit a doctor for women's health issues unrelated to the female reproductive system.

We have King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women here. It's a maternity hospital. Ignoring that it's named after a white male and a colonialist, should it be changed to 'for females'? Or should it be 'for birthing parents'? At what point is every base covered?

The woke love group identity, whether it's so specific that said group consists of 1 person or so broad that it includes half the globe. You can be a member of one group that overlaps another but not a member of both. People hell bent on redefining language first ought to learn what a Venn diagram is.

Parody in 1979. Probably cited in university Harvard reference lists in 2021.

Yeah, that's basically how I see it too but I have a niece (nephew?) who has recently come out and said she thinks she might be trans so I am trying to wrap my head around some of these things. I got in trouble for 'dead naming' last time I spoke with her.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The author(s) of the tweet that began this line of conversation - Vagina Museum. See the post at the top of this page.
OK. I just think we can get tangled up when some rando tweets something odd.

Kentaro Kobayashi has been sacked from his role as director of the opening ceremony of the Tokyo Olympics because of comments he made during a comedy act in 1998 that included the phrase "Let's play Holocaust".

I don't recall the periodic table getting much usage in VCE chemistry when I graduated in the 20th century. It's probably a non-issue.
Used for working out which compounds would have covalent vs ionic bonds. That’s about it iirc.

A man has been landed with a police record for ‘racial hatred’ for whistling the Bob The Builder theme tune at his neighbour.

Officers in Bedfordshire recorded the incident as a non-crime hate incident, which will remain on file for six years and could be disclosed to prospective employers.

Few other details about the ‘crime’ are known, but it is just one of the bizarre cases unearthed by an investigation into the controversial practice of recording ‘hate incidents’ even if no law has been broken.

Might be good to know them. Context and all that.

Absolutely. I suspect there's more to the story.

But from the same article it's clear that people are having non-crimes recorded by the police that can remain on file for six years and could be disclosed to prospective employers. And is potentially detracting from police resources solving actual crime.

Under the Hate Crime Operational Guidelines, adopted in 2014, forces are required to record any actions deemed to be motivated by an element of hate, even if there is no evidence to prove them.​
In total, 10,840 non-crime hate incidents were logged last year, bringing the total in the past five years to 120,000 – but Freedom of Information requests sent to 43 police forces in England and Wales failed to identify a single crime that had been solved as a result.​

A man has been landed with a police record for ‘racial hatred’ for whistling the Bob The Builder theme tune at his neighbour.

Officers in Bedfordshire recorded the incident as a non-crime hate incident, which will remain on file for six years and could be disclosed to prospective employers.

Few other details about the ‘crime’ are known, but it is just one of the bizarre cases unearthed by an investigation into the controversial practice of recording ‘hate incidents’ even if no law has been broken.

I'm running with the parody theme in the thread title, so please don't take this to heart.

Ivermectin, can we fix it
Ivermectin, yes we can!

Because.......................it doesn't matter.

The "anti-racists" are the new racists.

The imposition of victimhood on an entire race.............is................RACISM!
So its racism if a black person thinks the world is now to woke? Because you’re suggesting it’s victim hood if it is positioned against a race. But which race? Dutch, Swedish, English, Danish, Czech, Australian?

So are you suggesting it’s racism or that all white people are being victimised because they’re the only people that are being discriminated against?

Anti racists aren’t racist. That simply doesn’t make sense. It’s a complete oxymoron.

Kentaro Kobayashi has been sacked from his role as director of the opening ceremony of the Tokyo Olympics because of comments he made during a comedy act in 1998 that included the phrase "Let's play Holocaust".
Don’t have an issue with that. Joking about people getting herded off and exterminated for no other reason but their race or background is pretty disgusting. I think any decent Australian should be incredibly appreciative we fought a war that defeated a fascist agenda that threatened us all.

Just put it in perspective. The young kids and elderly grandparents I saw at school pick up today would’ve been the people the Nazis ushered into chambers and gassed to death. Or experimented on, fed to dogs for viewing pleasure, or put up against walls and shot.

Not really stuff I find particularly comical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back