Current Trial Wonnangatta - Russell Hill & Carol Clay vanish *Pilot Greg Lynn charged with murder

Did Greg Lynn tell police where he buried the bodies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

Moving along, has anybody seen a map plotted of where Lynn went after he left Wonnangatta with the bodies before the final stretch back to Caroline Springs?

And has anybody heard anything about the police grabbing his vehicle on CCTV as he headed back in to Melbourne? Because if they did, they'd probably know if he dumped the trailer or not. If they knew he dumped the trailer before he told them he sold it on Gumtree, they might want to keep that quiet.

Last edited:
This article isn't well written either but I've interpreted it as Lynn's story is that he charged down to Russell's campsite and had a go about the drone before returning to his own campsite.

Lynn may have suggested that Russell 'wanted to keep it going' with Russell and presumably Carol then entering his campsite where Russell took Lynn's gun out of the car and through that one dynamic event, they were both killed. At Lynn's campsite.

Lynn's story might have been a bit more believable if it isn't at all, up until investigators, after Lynn had been arrested and on another search, found a piece of Carol's skull and lead at her campsite.

Is that the big lie they've caught him out on? They can prove Carol was killed at her campsite. Did Lynn think he did such a good job of destroying their campsite that he obliterated all evidence that at least one shooting occurred there?

If Hill's passenger mirror was shot off and parts of Carol found on the canopy and campsite wouldn't that suggest the events occurred at Hill's campsite? It makes sense to me that Hill's campsite is where their deaths took place given the fire. Otherwise Lynn's campsite would have been burnt? If Lynn confronted them re drone at their campsite there is a very good chance it all went down there and then? Also why would Lynn remove the car keys I don't get the logic for that one.?

Also why would Lynn remove the car keys I don't get the logic for that one.?
To make it look like they’d locked up and gone for a walk in the bush? If the campsite had been left intact that’s exactly what people would have thought. Having to burn evidence threw a bit of doubt on that 😉

If Hill's passenger mirror was shot off and parts of Carol found on the canopy and campsite wouldn't that suggest the events occurred at Hill's campsite? It makes sense to me that Hill's campsite is where their deaths took place given the fire. Otherwise Lynn's campsite would have been burnt? If Lynn confronted them re drone at their campsite there is a very good chance it all went down there and then? Also why would Lynn remove the car keys I don't get the logic for that one.?

What I'm saying is that Carrol was definitely shot at her own campsite but that Lynn may have tried to frame it after thinking about it and he had over a year to do it, that they entered his campsite and that's where it all took place.

Lynn claims there was two confrontations. One at Russell's camp and then he went back to his own campsite. Why would Lynn have his car down at their campsite where Russell could reach in and take his gun for a second confrontation? If Lynn wants to claim Russell reached in and grabbed one of his guns, he's probably going to say it was up at his campsite.

Lynn doesn't have to burn his campsite, he just packs up and leaves.

To make it look like they’d locked up and gone for a walk in the bush? If the campsite had been left intact that’s exactly what people would have thought. Having to burn evidence threw a bit of doubt on that 😉

Or he forgot to check Russell's pockets and inside his socks, until the last minute. Found keys and a damaged second or even a third sly phone.

Which brings me to the next theory. Lynn ransacked their campsite, removing sleeping bags and looking for devices. Was Russell's phone inside his pocket/boots and it was hit by a bullet or shrapnel whatever, it went to a black screen and Lynn thought it was dead?

Or he forgot to check Russell's pockets and inside his socks, until the last minute. Found keys and a damaged second or even a third sly phone.

Which brings me to the next theory. Lynn ransacked their campsite, removing sleeping bags and looking for devices. Was Russell's phone inside his pocket/boots and it was hit by a bullet or shrapnel whatever, it went to a black screen and Lynn thought it was dead?
sleeping bags perfect for transporting bodies.

sleeping bags perfect for transporting bodies.

They also have pockets, for phones etc

Lynn probably didn't leave their sleeping bags at the dump site, there might have been a phone in one of the sleeping bags Lynn didn't know was there.

GL needs to (or already has) crafted a story to paint himself in the best (or more accurately least worst) light as possible. I reckon he was working on that from the start (as in after they were both dead), and the two trips to burn and fragment the bodies were part of his plan to destroy as much evidence as he can, to try and align any remaining evidence with his story.

Yes, he slipped up.on a couple of things, but he's not an idiot. When he got home after their deaths, he knew he had time on his side. Hence the car respray, trailer disappearance, etc. Not disposing of gun(s)/knife/knives involved probably a mistake, but his guns were registered anyway. If he's taken care of casings/slugs/pellets (or thinks he has), hard to prove his gun was involved. Burning/crushing bodies worked to a degree, as COD not obvious, it's CC's bone fragment at the site that points to at least one gunshot.

He's not going to get away with it - assuming he did actually murder one or both - it COULD in reality be a case of accidental death (CC) and self defence (RH).
It's his actions after the fact that he can't deny (and quite probably referenced in that now-suppressed interview).

IF it was genuinely accidental and self defence for both deaths, as others have said, and he had left everything as it was and immediately contacted police, he'd be sitting at home right now, or in the cabin of a Jetstar flight.

Again if that was the case, his panic and attempts to cover it all up are what will cost him his freedom/family/previous life/career. So some bad decisions under pressure - but not what you'd expect an experienced pilot trained in decision-making to do.

However, I think he made those decisions for a good reason (or reasons). My hunch is one death may have been accidental/self defence - but the other one was in his mind likely to be viewed as murder (probably correctly). So he took the actions he took to cover up both deaths.

I doubt we'll ever know the real circumstances in the apparent absence of critical definitive physical evidence, but I believe, due to whatever lead up (argument over campsite/drone/something else), GL's frayed state of mind resulted in an escalation he didn't plan, but once they were both dead, he had no way back. I think he's guilty of at least one murder (unintentionally), so will be interested to see if there's a plea bargain for 1 (or maybe 2) charges of manslaughter. But as others have said, any discount for manslaughter (vs murder) will be offset by everything else he did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is it traceable to him then, via the Hotham tower ping, while on GL's trailer?

By burner I'd thought probably a prepaid phone which needs to be registered with identification but if he was away with Carol, it might be his Telstra plan family phone he would put on silent and hide in a sleeping bag pocket.

However, I think he made those decisions for a good reason (or reasons). My hunch is one death may have been accidental/self defence - but the other one was in his mind likely to be viewed as murder (probably correctly). So he took the actions he took to cover up both deaths.

If it's right that Lynn suggests a final confrontation was at his campsite where Russell took a gun out of his parked car thereby placing Carol as dying by accident at his campsite, he's done for the murder of Carol imo because a piece of her skull says she didn't die at his campsite.

If that's what Lynn's said, his lawyer will put up a hard fight to have it ruled as inadmissable and go to trial with a new story. The real gamechanger may have been in the finding of a piece of Carol's skull.

I'd be quite happy if there was a set of Australian criminal laws that treated destroying human evidence like was allegedly done by Greg Lynn, carries the same sentence as a wilful murder charge

That any cases where this occurs are to be Judge only trials, if the prosecution wants Judge only.
To more easily secure a wilful murder length conviction.

Unfortunately in this case that's not how a trial works. The prosecution needs to prove their case beyond doubt for him to go down for murder. I doubt GL will testify.
I think the evidence is going to be sufficient if he stays silent. I knew someone who was innocent of a charged, stayed silent and ended up being convicted. If you're innocent or truly act in self-defence you're better off testifying.

Unfortunately in this case that's not how a trial works. The prosecution needs to prove their case beyond doubt for him to go down for murder. I doubt GL will testify.

Can a jury still convict even if there is reasonable doubt from a legal perspective?

If it's right that Lynn suggests a final confrontation was at his campsite where Russell took a gun out of his parked car thereby placing Carol as dying by accident at his campsite, he's done for the murder of Carol imo because a piece of her skull says she didn't die at his campsite.

If that's what Lynn's said, his lawyer will put up a hard fight to have it ruled as inadmissable and go to trial with a new story. The real gamechanger may have been in the finding of a piece of Carol's skull.
I think the revealing the evidence about the skull fragment caused a swift change in GL's version from his campsite to theirs. I wonder what other evidence they might "find" to refute it?

I'd be quite happy if there was a set of Australian criminal laws that treated destroying human evidence like was allegedly done by Greg Lynn, carries the same sentence as a wilful murder charge

That any cases where this occurs are to be Judge only trials, if the prosecution wants Judge only.
To more easily secure a wilful murder length conviction.
GL will get close to the maximum available for his cover up IMO.

The fact that he went back twice to further dispose of the evidence will weigh heavily. He can't claim he was in a panic with the follow up visits. The way he methodically destroyed evidence is why police believe he is covering up something more sinister. They need to prove it now.

Can a jury still convict even if there is reasonable doubt from a legal perspective?

Absolutely not. A case like this is going to probably need a unanimous verdict.

IMO with what they have so far thr prosecution will have a difficult time convincing all the jury of murder charges.

Manslaughter x 1, interfering x 2 a slam dunk for the prosecution.

I read that GL's phone was detected in Mansfield - not RH's phone.
Ahh maybe I've misread it. There was definitely something about a phone being detected near Mansfield. I see in the HS timeline it says GL's phone was turned back on near Mansfield on 21st (after being off since 18th).
Not sure about iPhone but android phones can't be turned off unless you unlock them...maybe he had his turned his phone off but wasn't able to turn RH's off

Back