World Cup Day 23 England v Sri Lanka @ Headingley

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I've always considered India to be the best team in the World Cup, but I thought we'd have to wait for the final to prove it.

That was delicious waking up this morning and finding out the Lankans had triumphed over the poms. Went to bed at 3 for just over 100 with Stokes and Root looking set. Seems England's lower half batting is worse than ours :p

I've always considered India to be the best team in the World Cup, but I thought we'd have to wait for the final to prove it.

That was delicious waking up this morning and finding out the Lankans had triumphed over the poms. Went to bed at 3 for just over 100 with Stokes and Root looking set. Seems England's lower half batting is worse than ours :p

England’s ceiling is higher.
India has a far more flexible side though and the amount of scenarios in which they can win is fairly limitless

One thing that I dont think was mentioned in here is how good Perara's two catches were off Dhanajaya De Silva. They were crucial in the context of the match too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Australia always achieve

Sri Lanka largely over achieve

And the filthy soap dodgers always under achieve.

No chance they win this World Cup as favorites absolutely zero chance.

Few points;

1. SL have probably played in two of the best wins in cricket in the last 14 years both occurring in the last 4 months. It would be so good if there was less political pressures on their team.

2. Australia are a very good side, we have won 3 games with strong top order knocks but then we one the WI game with a strong middle/lower order. Our bowlers are quite good also. I think we can beat India just need one or two early wickets

This popped up on my FB feed this morning

Remember the darkest day in cricket history, the 2009 attacks? Here's what Sangakkara said after it. Thought I'd share this with those who haven't read it.

"Not thirty seconds had passed when we heard what sounded like fire crackers going off. Suddenly a shout came from the front: "Get down they are shooting at the bus."

The reaction was immediate. Everyone dived for cover and took shelter on the aisle or behind the seats. With very little space, we were all lying on top of each other. Then the bullets started to hit. It was like rain on a tin roof. The bus was at a standstill, an easy target for the gunmen. As bullets started bursting through the bus all we could do was stay still and quiet, hoping and praying to avoid death or injury.

Suddenly Mahela, who sits at the back of the bus, shouts saying he thinks he has been hit in the shin. I am lying next to Tilan. He groans in pain as a bullet hits him in the back of his thigh. As I turn my head to look at him I feel something whizz past my ear and a bullet thuds into the side of the seat, the exact spot where my head had been a few seconds earlier. I feel something hit my shoulder and it goes numb. I know I had been hit, but I was just relieved and praying I was not going to be hit in the head.

Tharanga Paranvithana, on his debut tour, is also next to me. He stands up, bullets flying all around him, shouting "I have been hit" as he holds his blood-soaked chest. He collapsed onto his seat, apparently unconscious. I see him and I think: "Oh my God, you were out first ball, run out the next innings and now you have been shot. What a terrible first tour." It is strange how clear your thinking is. I did not see my life flash by. There was no insane panic. There was absolute clarity and awareness of what was happening at that moment. I hear the bus roar in to life and start to move. Dilshan is screaming at the driver: "Drive…Drive".

We speed up, swerve and are finally inside the safety of the stadium. There is a rush to get off the bus. Tharanga Paranawithana stands up. He is still bleeding and has a bullet lodged lightly in his sternum, the body of the bus tempering its velocity enough to be stopped by the bone. Tilan is helped off the bus.

In the dressing room there is a mixture of emotions: anger, relief, joy. Players and coaching staff are being examined by paramedics. Tilan and Paranavithana are taken by ambulance to the hospital. We all sit in the dressing room and talk. Talk about what happened. Within minutes there is laughter and the jokes have started to flow. We have for the first time been a target of violence. We had survived. We all realized that what some of our fellow Sri Lankans experienced every day for nearly 30 years. There was a new respect and awe for their courage and selflessness. It is notable how quickly we got over that attack on us. Although we were physically injured, mentally we held strong. A few hours after the attack we were airlifted to the Lahore Air Force Base.

Ajantha Mendis, his head swathed in bandages after multiple shrapnel wounds, suggests a game of Poker. Tilan has been brought back, sedated but fully conscious, to be with us and we make jokes at him and he smiles back. We were shot at, grenades were thrown at us, we were injured and yet we were not cowed. We were not down and out. "We are Sri Lankan," we thought to ourselves, "and we are tough and we will get through hardship and we will overcome because our spirit is strong." This is what the world saw in our interviews immediately after the attack: we were calm, collected, and rational. Our emotions held true to our role as unofficial ambassadors.

A week after our arrival in Colombo from Pakistan I was driving about town and was stopped at a checkpoint. A soldier politely inquired as to my health after the attack. I said I was fine and added that what they as soldiers experience every day we only experienced for a few minutes, but managed to grab all the news headlines. That soldier looked me in the eye and replied: "It is OK if I die because it is my job and I am ready for it. But you are a hero and if you were to die it would be a great loss for our country." I was taken aback. How can this man value his life less than mine? His sincerity was overwhelming. I felt humbled. This is the passion that cricket and cricketers evoke in Sri Lankans. This is the love that I strive every-day of my career to be worthy of."

This popped up on my FB feed this morning

Remember the darkest day in cricket history, the 2009 attacks? Here's what Sangakkara said after it. Thought I'd share this with those who haven't read it.

"Not thirty seconds had passed when we heard what sounded like fire crackers going off. Suddenly a shout came from the front: "Get down they are shooting at the bus."

The reaction was immediate. Everyone dived for cover and took shelter on the aisle or behind the seats. With very little space, we were all lying on top of each other. Then the bullets started to hit. It was like rain on a tin roof. The bus was at a standstill, an easy target for the gunmen. As bullets started bursting through the bus all we could do was stay still and quiet, hoping and praying to avoid death or injury.

Suddenly Mahela, who sits at the back of the bus, shouts saying he thinks he has been hit in the shin. I am lying next to Tilan. He groans in pain as a bullet hits him in the back of his thigh. As I turn my head to look at him I feel something whizz past my ear and a bullet thuds into the side of the seat, the exact spot where my head had been a few seconds earlier. I feel something hit my shoulder and it goes numb. I know I had been hit, but I was just relieved and praying I was not going to be hit in the head.

Tharanga Paranvithana, on his debut tour, is also next to me. He stands up, bullets flying all around him, shouting "I have been hit" as he holds his blood-soaked chest. He collapsed onto his seat, apparently unconscious. I see him and I think: "Oh my God, you were out first ball, run out the next innings and now you have been shot. What a terrible first tour." It is strange how clear your thinking is. I did not see my life flash by. There was no insane panic. There was absolute clarity and awareness of what was happening at that moment. I hear the bus roar in to life and start to move. Dilshan is screaming at the driver: "Drive…Drive".

We speed up, swerve and are finally inside the safety of the stadium. There is a rush to get off the bus. Tharanga Paranawithana stands up. He is still bleeding and has a bullet lodged lightly in his sternum, the body of the bus tempering its velocity enough to be stopped by the bone. Tilan is helped off the bus.

In the dressing room there is a mixture of emotions: anger, relief, joy. Players and coaching staff are being examined by paramedics. Tilan and Paranavithana are taken by ambulance to the hospital. We all sit in the dressing room and talk. Talk about what happened. Within minutes there is laughter and the jokes have started to flow. We have for the first time been a target of violence. We had survived. We all realized that what some of our fellow Sri Lankans experienced every day for nearly 30 years. There was a new respect and awe for their courage and selflessness. It is notable how quickly we got over that attack on us. Although we were physically injured, mentally we held strong. A few hours after the attack we were airlifted to the Lahore Air Force Base.

Ajantha Mendis, his head swathed in bandages after multiple shrapnel wounds, suggests a game of Poker. Tilan has been brought back, sedated but fully conscious, to be with us and we make jokes at him and he smiles back. We were shot at, grenades were thrown at us, we were injured and yet we were not cowed. We were not down and out. "We are Sri Lankan," we thought to ourselves, "and we are tough and we will get through hardship and we will overcome because our spirit is strong." This is what the world saw in our interviews immediately after the attack: we were calm, collected, and rational. Our emotions held true to our role as unofficial ambassadors.

A week after our arrival in Colombo from Pakistan I was driving about town and was stopped at a checkpoint. A soldier politely inquired as to my health after the attack. I said I was fine and added that what they as soldiers experience every day we only experienced for a few minutes, but managed to grab all the news headlines. That soldier looked me in the eye and replied: "It is OK if I die because it is my job and I am ready for it. But you are a hero and if you were to die it would be a great loss for our country." I was taken aback. How can this man value his life less than mine? His sincerity was overwhelming. I felt humbled. This is the passion that cricket and cricketers evoke in Sri Lankans. This is the love that I strive every-day of my career to be worthy of."

Visited last year, wonderful place and people. They've gone through so much **** as a country and then the terror attacks earlier this year over easter. The structure of cricket is astonishingly political and selection is confounding. So it's absolutely fantastic to see them pull out a performance like last night (well, I didn't see it only the highlights!) and in the tests in South Africa over summer. Just have to shake your head at the talent of Malinga even in his current level of fitness or apparent lack of it, what a bowler!

Some people need to calm down a bit. England wasn't knocked out of the World Cup last night. They will make the semis still and will have Roy back which makes them favorites still imo.

This is a very top heavy World Cup. Only two really great teams in England & India, with a few solid teams in Australia & New Zealand (who both ain't as good as they were back in 2015) and a bunch of teams that usually sent good teams to the World Cup but haven't this time in South Africa & Sri Lanka.

Also don't forget about India's injuries. That puts England still in front.

Some people need to calm down a bit. England wasn't knocked out of the World Cup last night. They will make the semis still and will have Roy back which makes them favorites still imo.

This is a very top heavy World Cup. Only two really great teams in England & India, with a few solid teams in Australia & New Zealand (who both ain't as good as they were back in 2015) and a bunch of teams that usually sent good teams to the World Cup but haven't this time in South Africa & Sri Lanka.

Also don't forget about India's injuries. That puts England still in front.
England will do what England does and choke under expectation. They're the team you want to play in the Semis should they make it.

Back