Power21

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2004
SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings
Thread for recommendations and reviews if you are keen to help out others interested.

The Rise and Fall of ECW is an absolute gem.

New found respect for Paul Heyman and that company as a whole now, the wrestling might not have been as clean and polished as we see nowadays but god it must have been entertaining.

Steve Austin back in the long blonde hair days was a classic, Cactus Jack, Tommy Dreamer, Raven, Taz, classic stuff really. How aggressive were the dudley boys too, that was crazy.

Do people think TNA like ECW is a good tv deal away from being a genuine threat or is a genuine threat and impossibility now?

A couple of lesser known recommendations.

I highly recommend getting Dynamite Kid's book, even if you've never heard of him or seen him. There are also two ECW books titled Hardcore History and Turning The Tables that are great reads and much better than the Rise and Fall book. Also Terry Funk's and William Regal's books are great.

As far as DVD's, Heroes Of World Class is a terrific documentary.

Since it was brought up, ECW was never going to be a genuine threat and unless TNA learn how to market their shows properly, cut down on the mental *ation and learn how to create their own stars they're not going to be either.

The death of WCW by R.D Reynolds and Brian Alverez is a must read as well as The Life and Death of Owen Hart by Martha Hart is a good read, it has their final night together as well as how they met and an indepth look at the Harts, and such.The Eddie Guerrero Story was a good book as well..I am looking forward to Jericho's book coming out.

For DVDs, Beyond The Mat is a good documentary on professional wrestling, as well as The Unreal History of Professional Wrestling.

I've got a fair few of the wrestling history DVD's the WWE's been releasing the last few years. I'll be buying this when it's released in Australia.

ECW Most Violent Matches is really good watching if your a little blood thirsty.

I also enjoyed Mick Foley Hits And Misses.

Does anyone know if there is a dvd of the Hardy Boyz at all?

I've got a fair few of the wrestling history DVD's the WWE's been releasing the last few years. I'll be buying this when it's released in Australia.

*Bump*

That DVD is one of the best I've watched. Loved it, and how Kevin Von Erich is not shacked up in a mental institution somewhere, I'll never know.

Has anyone seen the Raw 15th Anniversary DVD? Some great moments on there, and I haven't even watched the Rock concert yet :D

Yeah, the WCCW DVD was very good. Slag them for a lot of things but WWE is doing a smashing job with their documentaries after the ECW, AWA and WCCW DVDs. Hopefully they put their Stampede Wrestling, Championship Wrestling from Florida and of course the WCW (they actually have more NWA/Crockett/GCW -> WCW footage than the NWA does!) tape libraries to good use over the next few years and get some docco's done there because the history of pro-wrestling in the USA, hell everywhere, is nothing short of fascinating.

What was good in the AWA one was the part discussing Vince's takeover. I liked how honest they actually were about it, they didn't try and paint it as though Vince didn't piss hundreds of people off and killed decade old promotions and the like. It was good to see.

I have got my hands on the Ladder match 3 disc pack. I recommend it to any wrestling fan, fantastic set of matches and major ouch moments...

I have Adam Copeland on Edge which is a great read, as is Mick Foley's "Mankind". I also have Batista Unleashed which isn't too bad, but my favourite is Chris Jericho's "A Lions Tale: Around the World in Spandex", it's a fantastic read.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WWE vs WCW - The Monday Night Wars.
&
WWE - The History of the WWE Championship.

516fx8HXprL._SS500_.jpg

cover for upcoming Flair DVD.

Listing:
*A DVD documentary on Flair covering his career beginning through Wrestlemania 24.

Complete Matches
*Jack Brisco vs. Ric Flair - Mid-Atlantic (8/18/82)
*2 out of 3 Falls Match: Kerry Von Erich vs. Ric Flair - World Class (8/24/82)
*Ric Flair vs. Harley Race - Mid-Atlantic (8/31/83)
*Ric Flair & The Andersons vs. Dusty Rhodes & Magnum TA & Manny Fernandez (12/15/82)
*Sting vs. Ric Flair - NWA Clash of the Champions I
*Ric Flair vs. Terry Funk - NWA Great American Bash '89 PPV
*Ric Flair vs. Roddy Piper - 10/28/91 WWF at Madison Square Garden
*Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat - WCW Spring Stampede 1994 PPV
*Steel Cage: Triple H vs. Ric Flair - WWE Taboo Tuesday 2005 PPV
*Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels - WWE Wrestlemania XXIV

"Ric Flair Stories"
*Too Many Distractions
*Buying Boots
*Bleaching His Hair
*Hanging with the Outlaws
*Ric’s Relationship with the Members of Evolution

Extras
*Ric Flair receiving the Key to the City March 24, 2008
*Ric Flair Tribute Video
*Ric Flair’s Raw Farewell Address
Promos
*Limousine Drivin’ Jet Flyin’
*Stylin & Profilin’ – NWA World Championship Wrestling May 25, 1985
*Take a Ride on Space Mountain – NWA World Championship Wrestling June 22, 1985
*The Boss – NWA World Championship Wrestling August 17, 1985
*Slick Ric – NWA World Championship Wrestling September 7, 1985
*Real Men Stay Up – NWA World Championship Wrestling September 21, 1985
*What’s Causing All This – NWA World Championship Wrestling December 20, 1985
*Space Mountainettes – NWA World Championship Wrestling April 7, 1987
*Golden Spoon – NWA World Championship Wrestling November 13, 1987

WrestleCrap and WrestleCrap Book of Lists are good for a laugh. Makes you wonder what promoters were thinking when coming up with some of the gimmicks and storylines they focus on in those books.

I second the notion for the Death of WCW too. Very interesting read. Mick Foley's first two books are pretty good too. For a guy who's copped numerous chairshots to the head, he has a pretty damn good memory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back