WRFL Div 1 Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with this, especially as the first four games are being used as grading rounds. Why have 5 teams with a bye each week when divisions 0f 6,6,6 and 9 would only have 1 team with a bye and still allow the clubs with multiple teams to play in different divisions.
If they are grading rounds have 1 div for the gradings wipe the points then grade into divisions.
Issue is you might be in higher grade to start get smashed go down with no wins from 4 games and terrible percentage. On the flip sides teams win 4 go up With points and percentage.

If they are grading rounds have 1 div for the gradings wipe the points then grade into divisions.
Issue is you might be in higher grade to start get smashed go down with no wins from 4 games and terrible percentage. On the flip sides teams win 4 go up With points and percentage.
Happens every year

Gee, this has been happening since Moses was a wee lad. Almost 20 years ago I was spewing at a certain club tanking the grading games in U12/14 and then sweeping all before them during the season and celebrating winning the flag. Said a lot more about the parents and the club than it did about the players, and didn't win them any friends in the clubs whose kids were flogged every week just so one club could get a cheap flag at their expense.

Gee, this has been happening since Moses was a wee lad. Almost 20 years ago I was spewing at a certain club tanking the grading games in U12/14 and then sweeping all before them during the season and celebrating winning the flag. Said a lot more about the parents and the club than it did about the players, and didn't win them any friends in the clubs whose kids were flogged every week just so one club could get a cheap flag at their expense.
Who are the divi 1 clubs?
I remember playing juniors 20 years ago and the power clubs were always Werribee, Hoppers, Williamstown and Altona.

Back then - and we're talking around 2005/6 - it was Hoppers, no idea if they still do it but it left a very bitter taste at the time.

Yeah you’re surely not serious here. Hoppers had multiples sides in each age group. Pretty hard to manipulate grading when you’ve got teams in a combination of A, B, C or D.

Very serious. Kids talk when they're on the field, and goal-hungry forwards loudly express their displeasure at being put into the backline because it helps the club if they lose. Not hard to hear if you're the goal umpire. Also there was confirmation from parents whose kids played cricket with Hoppers and footy for Westbourne, and were talking about it with Hoppers parents.

Water long gone under the bridge, given Westbourne became the Suns ten years ago.

So what you’re saying is a load of crap.

The only teams to manipulate grading were St Albans, Albanvale, Deer Park, North Sunshine, Albion, Braybrook,m and Glen Orden who you’d regularly see with only one team in the B, C or D grade who’d flog the rest of the competition.

Altona, Werribee, Williamstown, Spotswood, Hoppers, St Bernards all had multiple teams in each age group making it impossible to manipulate grading.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lachy said:
Way more people with no interest in Football and the same in regard to the businesses.
Teams added Manor Lakes, Tarniet, and Truganina with a diminishing pool of players.

SeaSide said:
There's not a diminishing pool of players. With the multitudes pouring into the area, there is plenty of opportunity to recruit. Young migrants as well as the established indigini often play AFL / Soccer at school / weekends. The skills are interchangeable.

SeaSide said:
Australian Rules is played nationwide with multitudes of participants having non Anglo or non Celtic surnames. Is there a message here?

With the influx of new arrivals into the Wyndham area, local clubs should be awash with juniors.
Again I ask, is there a local Auzzie Rules primary school competition in the district? I don't know, and if there is, perhaps it can be enlarged. It wouldn't surprise if there are more primary schools around Werribee than most other Melbourne suburbs.

Clubs are happy to pay mercenaries; do they ever consider buying a set of guernseys for a local primary school thus enticing them into a competition? And invest in the future! Migrants are, in the main, brought up on soccer and their talents are quite adaptable to Auzzie Rules. Primary school kids often play soccer at school and Ozzy football on weekends, and vikky versa. Most will be attracted to where there are most appreciated and welcomed.

A joint league and club approach to school committees could be considered.
The WRFL has the potential to be the strongest league in the country!

Squeeky Clean said:
Clubs should be teaming up with AFL and local primary schools.
And too many local clubs piss up their warm leads from Auskick.
So many are poorly ran. It's the life blood, and clubs should be present and filtering kids into auskick programs.

lachy said:
Plenty of 3rd and 4th generation Europeans playing footy, as it was rammed down their throats. I remember local footy clubs having g clinics at my schools when I was a kid long ago!

That stuff doesn't happen anymore

Have you been to Wyndham? Cricket grounds full summer and winter.

As for Primary schools, you do understand there is a massive shortage of male teachers in the public school system, therefore there is a struggle to run any sort of football program, hence why so many draftees now come from the private school system.

There are less than half the juniors playing Aussie rules. Reality is given the demographics, a consolidation of quality is required in Wyndham for Aussie rules and really it is Cricket Victoria and Football Australia that are failing to capitalise.

There are other posts similar the these, mostly agreeing with the dilemma and some just surrendering.

I don’t apologise for the long post as this issue has been burning in me for several years now and I’m finally venting. Read on.

From Me, SeaSide
For AFL to resurface as a power in Melbourne’s southwestern suburbs, the beginning must come from the grassroots.

A local junior football competition must be established, possibly 'The Werribee Football Cup' (and a pennant), involving as many primary schools from the area as possible. It shouldn’t be too hard to organise with local clubs sponsoring schools.

Each club could hopefully sponsor 2 or 3 primary schools, the funds being allocated for guernseys and equipment at the expense of imported mercenaries. Clubs would need to speak to each other to coordinate and allocate.

Visits to schools would follow. All schools have students playing in the junior ranks of the WRFL Sunday juniors. The links are there and only need to be harnessed.

This forum has been told that it could be near impossible to get schools on board as most of the primary teachers are women.

Point 1. Primary schools in the inner west run a very successful midweek AFL competition involving primary school teams including (but not a complete list) Altona, Seaholme, St Marys Altona, St Marys, both public primary schools in Williamstown, Spotswood, other Newport schools et al.

Point 2. These abovementioned schools as in Wyndham also have a dearth of male teachers, however, is overcome by students’ families of mostly former footballers, grandparents (very eager), parents and friends.

Point 3. It can happen, it should happen and will happen but it needs a local identity to kickstart it. Is the WRFL listening?

Perhaps the wheels could be put in motion now for the new competition to be up and running next season.

Squeeky Clean said:
And too many local clubs piss up their warm leads from Auskick.

One of the reasons Westbourne Juniors took off was the U9s having the odd game with Sayers Rd Auskick. The younger kids looked up to these gods who were so cool in their guernseys and couldn't wait to be old enough to cross the road and play for Westbourne.

Do any clubs still do that?

Remove this Banner Ad

WRFL Div 1 Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back