Toast You wish you were Lachie Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

He's taken a few steps forward but he still has absolutely has no judgement for when to mark and when to spoil, and more broadly when to go up in the marking contest and when to stay at ground level.

At the moment he's giving up 2 to 3 goals a game going for balls that he is never going to get to.

Needs to clean it up very quickly or it will cost us more games.
His mistakes in the end did cost us opposition goals (& perhaps the game). In the first quarter going for a mark or spoil and leaving his opponent to waltz into the goal square and the out of bounds on the full in the last quarter. Really bad defensive errors. Time for Basset to step up and train Lachie in the art of becoming a good defensive player. At his peak Basset was one of the best. But those blunders must stop.

I agree that he will be better with more games and experience, but it is still frustrating when you are within two points of a season defining win and Jones has made 3 or 4 costly errors.

It's hard to see us winning anything this year when you have players like him and to a lesser extent Farrell not being able to execute in pressure games.

I agree that he will be better with more games and experience, but it is still frustrating when you are within two points of a season defining win and Jones has made 3 or 4 costly errors.

It's hard to see us winning anything this year when you have players like him and to a lesser extent Farrell not being able to execute in pressure games.
I don't want to single out players for genuine mistakes. I am more critical of our scoring accuracy in front of goal. It has cost us most dearly in critical games 2014 Preliminary & 2017 Elimination come to mind. Kick straighter so there is less pressure on defenders at critical times.

Heard a great interview with Lachie on SEN with Blight and Wildy last week (pre Collingwood) He said he's aware that he needs to slow down more and that Shaun Burgoyne has been working with him on understanding that you have more time than you think you do. He was honest about the pace of the game and that he tends to rush because he's still learning. Blighty said he'd met Lachie's father at the airport one day and that they'd had a good chat and Lachie said "Yeah I remember because he rang me at training and said I should come down to the airport to meet you and I had to point out that I couldn't really leave training to come and meet Malcolm Blight at the airport".

When you think that Lachie is there as the Jonas replacement you realise he gives us so much more. He's fast, his jump is incredible and he's so keen to learn and he has a hunger to win. He's going to make mistakes he's 21 and has played less than 30 games - he'll get there in time.

I was trying to remember which quarter it was that he took the leap at the south western side of the ground (maybe somewhere around the 50 metre mark closer to the boundary line) it was HUGE.
2nd quarter, when Collingwood were going to the southern end?

Can't believe the criticism Lachie is getting. Absolutely saved us more often than he made mistakes, some really good composed play. His talks with Shaun Burgoyne must be settling him as per Expat power

He's cost goals now and again, but usually when he has been coming in as cover defence for a team mate and no one has covered his man. And his cover defence has saved a few of his team mates.

Such a unique set of physical attributes, tremendous leap, great pace and the hard edge of forged steel. He's played a handful of games and continues to improve.

I love what Lachie brings to the table but defenders are taught in junior grades not to let the ball get behind them, and he has to fix that area of his game.

His out of bounds on the full was a Barry Crocker, but that's just part of footy when it's wet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love what Lachie brings to the table but defenders are taught in junior grades not to let the ball get behind them, and he has to fix that area of his game.

His out of bounds on the full was a Barry Crocker, but that's just part of footy when it's wet.
What was unfortunate about that play is that Lachie had time to look around, settle and kick the ball long down the line on the eastern wing, instead he just blazed away and the result was a shank that landed four rows back. Fair enough the resultant goal was GOTY potential but it should never have happened. SPP has slowed down his decision making and is a better player for it - it’s now up to Lachie to follow suit and I think he’s got the smarts to get himself in that zone.

Watched the full replay and liked 80% of what he did really well. Some of his early contest work on Mihocek and McStay leading to strong spoils was excellent. Even after his last quarter OOF, he had better composure and made strong plays at the next couple of opportunities.

I also have just listened to his interview with Blight and Wildy from last Wednesday. Geez he speaks well. The insight he has into his own game, his teammates and the team overall is reassuringly very mature. One of the key take always was his awareness of his prior fumbling of ground balls and rushing things too much. He’s clearly been working on that (mentioned Burgoyne’s influence in advising him). He also mentioned that Tom McCallum is working on remedying the same issue in his game, which gives me great hope that McCallum will improve quickly the way that Jones has.

He’ll be a star within the next 2-3 years.

Really glad to hear the club is working on his weaknesses. There's plenty to like about his game & he is young. He needs to improve his decision making, composure & execution but he has pace, a great leap & hits the contest hard. Thought he was really good early managing to spoil a lot of forward movement but mistakes crept in later in the game as Collingwood lifted their tempo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back